The Right Thing To Do? The story of my 2018 Buck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Holt, Nov 10, 2018.

1. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Again congrats on YOUR great 10 pt. You saved him from a slow painful death. You went and put the effort in to find him when the guy who shot him gave up. The deer deserve our best effort, YOU gave him that. Great woodsman skills, knowing the land and deer movement. Cant wait too see the mount.

Holt likes this.
  2. TN TJ

TN TJ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You did the right thing , he is yours be proud of it . Had a similar thing 2 years ago . I was the hunter that wounded the deer. Shot with a 270 but was low didn't get any vitals I think . When I found blood a knew this wasn't good. Started to track and bump the deer not 5 minutes later a shot rings out further down the woods . One of my hunting buddies finished him off when he came bye him . The deer was stumbling a bit but still up and moving so he killed it and I was just thankful he finished him off . His deer in my opinion , I should have made a better shot.

Holt likes this.
  3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's good to hear. I know the guy that shot him first and he is a good guy. I just don't want him to hold it against me, deep down. He sounded sincerely appreciative of me taking the buck. Only time will tell. Big bucks do weird things to people.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's your buck without question. Legally and morally. In most states, if someone put a good shot in on a deer and it crashed at your feet. You could shoot it while its still twitching and it'd "legally" be your deer. But not morally.

But 24 hours after the fact, that deer is anyone's game. Especially since the original shooter gave up. I probably wouldn't have even called the guy, so you went a step above what I would have done.

Holt likes this.
  5. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Holt and axtell343 like this.