The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I get everyone is wired differently but it may be YEARS before you get back to a "normal" natural sleep schedule.
    Working 3rds on and off for a few years in my early 20s ruined me for life. I almost never get a full 7-8 hours of sleep without some kind of assistance. It's almost impossible for me to fall asleep before 1-2am, then I wake up at 5-6a, sometimes able to fall back asleep but usually not. Then I want (but rarely get) a good 20-30 minute nap about 4pm. Rinse, repeat.

virginiashadow likes this.
  2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know all about the sleep thing

I worked the 3rd shift for 22 years before getting to day shift. I was there for the money so I took every promotion I could which meant going to the back shift. I know first hand how sleep is affected. For many years I slept in two different shifts. A few hours in the morning and a few more in the evening. I couldn't break that habit until after a couple years of being on days. Even then I could only sleep for 6 hours.Two years after retiring, I was finally able to sleep for 7 - 8 hours in a row and started feeling human again.

The decision is to do what is best for you (get some sleep). It will do wonders for you and your family.

virginiashadow likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do not tail gate I hit the break to deactivate my cruise control, Seriously if you move to the left lane your sole mission should be to complete your pass and get back in the right lane asap, if there is traffic coming up behind accelerate to complete the pass faster than what you have your cruise control set at.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Asking for all the FIBs out there-

"What is this 'cruise control' you speak of and why would you ever drive faster in the left lane?"

Sota likes this.
  5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't ever use control, I don't even think it would work when one accelerates to pass. That said, a person passing isn't a signal for anyone to tailgate in order to facilitate a speeder pass. Hhhmmm I'll have to assume this could be a reason why the car rearended isn't the one ticketed.

6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cruise control is your best friend on non-congested freeways.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure how old your car is but you can have your cruise control set and use a button to accelerate without touching the gas. In Minnesota you can get a ticket for being a dumbass and lingering in the left lane so there is that too.

picman likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Driving on the interstate is not your personal game of parcheesi where you decide the pace of passing, every driver should have the goal of facilitating smooth paced travel, and that means traveling at the pace of traffic, if you are in the left lane and you have cars stacked up behind you, you are the problem.

wl704 and cantexian like this.
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    As I said I don't use it so I don't know..2006 with 70 thousand miles on it. That tell you anything?. BTW I personal don't drive expressways I prefer the old state highways. You don't pass fast enough on those well it's not your rear end you need to worry about. That said to my original point, try allowing the person in front of you to at least see your head lights and bumper. You may find they pass faster...lol

Sorry.. Forgot to mention, used with 36 thou. on it when I got it inI think 2010 or 12 I'd have to look it up.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    You keep adding to your scenario. Now your not just speeding up behind the passer, you have a long lingering line behind you. Maybe the ppl behind you are mad at you. "If that dumb ass would just get off the guys Azz he'd speed up and pull in WTH!".... Hhhmmmm...

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not into racing but that term pace of traffic pops the term pace car and it's definition into mind. Hhmmm...now wouldn't the lead car in your left lane be considered " the pace car"? ...lol

Ldsturg likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just stay on the hwys, and off the interstate sounds like traffic on the freeway is too fast for you.

13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol... you assume my making a point as an implacation...I just see things on both sides. You do know the saying on assumptions. By now I would have thought my looking at the flip side of the coin on subjects would have been apparent here. Though there goes that saying into play....

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If your wife uses essential oils, and she is in a bad mood do not tell her that her check oil light is on.

dnoodles, Bone Head Hunter and wl704 like this.
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    That and some peoples internal clock is what it is. I have rarely gotten more than 6 hours a night and it's usually 5 . It made me a great bar manager. Home at 3 and back to open at 11:30. Bartending while in school. Night shift at the kennel with kids to get to school in the morning. When in town I'd go out at midnight for my bike rides in summer and cross country ski across town in the winter. I have the drive shoveled before hubby wakes to go to work in over night storms. 62 closing in on 3 and still asleep at 12- 2 and up 4-6 . My son is the same and he's never worked a night shift. Though to bide his time he works on remodel. Some clocks are set at birth.

16. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I should have remembered to turn off my read receipts before sending out that email to all of our members...:throw::bash:

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn. I don't remember getting the memo... 20201216_082304.jpeg

greatwhitehunter3 and Sota like this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    391 car jackings in Minneapolis in 2020, carjacking is a very violent and risky crime, and the dumb bastards think less cops will remedy this issue.

oldnotdead likes this.
  19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    oldnotdead and Sota like this.
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife is having friends over to make Christmas cookies Saturday, they are staying overnight. Please kill me. At least the one friend is not bringing the RV this time.