The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How about cutting back on aid to other nations, we pay enough welfare in our own country.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    while foreign aid reform is a necessary step; it is only a drop in the overall budget bucket.

listened to an interesting Joe Rogan podcast last night with some dude named Andrew Yang, who unbeknownst to almost everyone is a Democratic candidate for President in 2020.

Guy is running pretty exclusively on a platform of a national guaranteed basic income. Almost no "typical" red button social agenda at all (no talk of guns, abortion, etc.) I actually listened to the whole thing as it was pretty interesting if not completely convincing.

Now while there were a lot of pie in the sky Liberal assumptions as to about how much overall benefit to society such a program would be; he did discuss a lot of really insightful albeit uncomfortable truths regarding the coming tsunami of people in blue collar jobs being teched out of the labor market. AI and robotics will likely push 30-50 million people out of the US labor force w/in the next decade. Certainly within the next 20 years.

It's a topic that no other national candidate (he's not really a politician- an entrepreneur by trade) really has the balls to talk about, so for that and his initiative to explore possible solutions to what will likely be a worldwide crisis; I give him credit.

Also, if I wasn't already an uber-immigration hawk I would be after watching this...so in the next 10 years 30-50 million mostly non-college educated Americans are going to be pushed out of the labor market by AI...farm workers, roofers, nearly all professional drivers including taxis and truckers, factory workers; retail and restaurant workers...but the Democrats and Chamber of Commerce GOPers want to import countless more mostly uneducated migrants? And do what with them? What work will be there for them? There will literally be no jobs for them to take. Think an illiterate Guatemalan farm worker or a Bangladeshi cab driver is going to undercut a robot?

WTF. Importing an entire population of perpetual poverty. It's literal insanity.

Germ likes this.
  3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cutting all foreign aid should be step 1, but it's not that much.

Step 2 is the defense budget, it's basically corporate welfare for some.
    Tax Revenue for Individuals is up for 2018 7.6% for Corporations it's down -26%. Overall it's up 1.2%

So the issue is spending and where to we spend the most, Defense and Medicare

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So both of my professions are doomed? Good thing I'm selling my southwestern Oklahoma farm to a solar panel company.

I'm going to listen to that podcast, sounds interesting. I mean I know my wang has been the leading cause in getting me in trouble but maybe it will take a Wang to get the US out of trouble.

w33kender, Germ and dnoodles like this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    to be fair; a fairly large part of the Defense budget is de-facto dual-purpose "foreign aid" to our "allies."

6. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    lmao

well, as long as you own the roofing company and the farm; you'll be fine. It's your employees that you replace with robots who will be screwed.

7. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's why both my kids both know how to code. You better have an education or a trade skill moving forward. Remember the line "The world needs ditch diggers also" . That will be false in the future.

w33kender likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All I know is that I will never tip a robot.

virginiashadow likes this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I am going to have to actually use my degree!? Guess I'm going back to Aviation Management aka snoozefest office work.. not likely.

And no I do not own the roofing company, just a salesman/estimator but its Oklahoma so if given a choice my average customer will not trust robots when I submit a bid and include a copy of the terminator with each bid. I really do not see robotics taking over roof installation be it residential or commercial. We have started using drones for inspections. I really see it going the way of permenant roofing systems such as metal or solar shingles and doing away with asphalt systems.

Farming on the other hand.. My new JD 7830 really does not need me in the cab for the most part. I could see full automation in machinery within the next ten years. Which is fine by me, I've grown tired of the labor pool from which I have to choose from.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure I can exist with robots, hell I get pissed at surri when she does not understand me.

11. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps if you spelled her name correctly that would help.

Siri

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is a robot or what ever you want to call it I don't have to spell it correctly.

13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So the fastest growing trade skill in the next 10-20 years will be robot mechanics? I actually think my kids would be really excited about that.

Germ likes this.
  14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Tapatalk won't allow video uploads. :rant::dan:

early in likes this.
  15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The jobs to be eliminated won't be just those that are uneducated. Sure order takers demanding $15/hr are already being replaced by kiosks, smart pads or Alexa-like natural language processing (NLP) robots... autonomous vehicles (cars, trucks, planes, boats, trains and I think combines) are already available, but generally in use with human supervision.

But data, analytics and other AI/ML technologies are also being employed with targets at highly repetitive/predictable white collar jobs too.

In IT, the is a plethora of "as a service" technologies and prebuilt modules heading toward plug and play requiring less and less configuration. No code technologies are coming along. But most IT work can already be done overseas for a fraction of the cost.

Heck robots are used in all forms of manufacturing and even surgery.

Are human workers becoming obsolete in 10 years. No doubt some will...more on a longer term horizon.

The one thing I've learned, is keep learning and stay relevant.

dnoodles and cantexian like this.
  16. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice tractor!

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    All that is true, it's just that non-college educated will be disparately affected. By a large percentage. So it literally makes zero sense to import a crapload more non-college educated with no foreseeable place in our economy/labor force when we are going to have 20-50 million out of work people of our own to deal with.

And yeah, I'm wondering what the hell DJT was talking about when he made the dumbest statement of his presidency... "I want people to come into our country in the largest numbers ever"

early in likes this.
  18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
  20. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: