Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On an airline run out of another country. And some people can't figure out why American travelers are not always treated well abroad. If you need a nurse everywhere you go, hire one or stay home.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    long as that isn't 0* Celsius you get a pass and I retract my jab.
    I had to go buy a kerosene heater this AM which is at least keeping the edge off. I have no idea what's up with my furnace. Was down to 45* inside when I woke up this AM. Burner is on, blower is going, just cool air.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do not recall the last time I was on a horse, I don't dislike the horses but they are a lot of work for me. My wife has always loved horses and had horses. Her parents sold her horses when she went to college. A week after I got back from our honeymoon I went duck hunting with some friends, I got home Sunday and my wife told me that she had located one of her old horses and she went to visit it and bought it back. I was young and naive and thought it was great that she had something to keep her entertained while I hunted. She kept the horse at a boarding place since we lived in an apartment. She then made more horse friends at the stable and wanted a barrel horse, again I was young and naive and said go ahead we can afford it. So when we were ready to buy a house it had to be hobby farm I was cool with that.

It just snowballed after that we had two kids, my daughter got into 4-H and she started riding. I still am not very good at telling my little girl no she got what she wanted. She is actually a very good rider and had a very good horse. She won 11 state titles her last 2 years. She still has all her trophies and buckles and ribbons in her old bedroom. I sometimes look in there and wonder how much I could have saved it I had just bought her the trophies and buckles instead of the horses.

We still have her old game horse she is retired and is kept comfortable, the other horse my wife's game horse has not been ridden in two years due to my wife getting injured while riding, so I pretty much have 2 lawn ornaments. The 2 horses go thru 2 bales of hay a day at $5 per bale and crap on 1 bag of wood shavings per day that go for $6 a bag. Horses are not cheap, they need to be cared for every day.....Come to think about it I hate those GD hay burning money pits, but they make my wife happy.

JeffC likes this.
  4. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    yeah but that's priceless right there.

Sota likes this.
  5. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

You need to find a wood worker in your area. Offer to bring a trailer over next time he plans to plane lumber. You should get a load that will last some time.

My brother in law filled our 2 stall trailer about 15 years ago. No longer have animals but I still have shavings left.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Picman, while that sounds like a great idea it is saw dust and we can't have saw dust it has to be wood shavings. :rant:

7. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The planner shavings I have are small curls of wood. I will admit that some of that is probably also jointer shavings.

So, you want big curls that can be picked up with a fork and not a shovel?

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No it is for the padding and lack of dust, dust causes heaves or some expensive vet call. I was out of town once and put down 100 pounds of corn before I left. My wife let the horses out in the pasture and they got into the corn, that was an $1800 vet bill. I can not believe horses can live in the wild.

9. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We had people that would always walk up to the pasture fence and try to feed our horses. Didn't matter what I did. No trespassing signs, letting the brush grow up along the fence. They would still feed them.

One day I cam home to find some jack ass out in the pasture with his 3 young kids-1 to 4 years old. Horses running all over the place. I had him cited for trespassing. Deputy tried talking me out of it until he saw where this idiot had created a hole in the pasture fence. He kicked the insulators off the posts to get the electric wire to sag down. Then he stepped on one strand of fence wire and pulled up on another.

That idiot was lucky he was gone when one of the horse came up to the barn and had a carrot bag half down its throat. Yeah, horses are idiots.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When they started building the gated community to my east we came home to people who were looking at lots in our pasture trying to pet the horses. I went and bought a half dozen geese, never had that problem again. Nobody is going to sue you because of a goose bite.

11. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would have started raising hogs! Welcome to the neighborhood!

12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pasture parasites, you have two pasture parasites.

I grew up with quarter, cutting and barrel horses. I had a Palomino for close to 30 years, was relieved when he passed. The best riding animal I've ever had was a Longhorn riding steer, speaking of Blazing Saddles, in his prime he was 2100 pounds, 7' horn span and just as easy going as you want.

dnoodles and Sota like this.
  13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Meghan McCain. Get it together kid

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Plane boarding and overhead space... good think this would be close to figured out by now. Pandamonium.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They have it all wrong they should charge for carry on luggage not checked bags.

sheddinva and cantexian like this.
  16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Wonder if that deputy would have tried to dissuade them from suing you if one of your horses had kicked a kid's head in.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Okiebob and Sota like this.
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife had a cutter for 2 years, amazing to watch a horse like that work. Got lucky with that horse we bought it for more than I was comfortable with but 2 years later when the horse was done she was bought back as a broodmare for what we paid for her. She was a beautiful horse but one crazy cribbing horse, maple stall boards cured her of that.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife had a mare that was sweet as pie to us, but she tolerated nothing in her pasture not deer, not stray dogs, anything bigger than a squirrel she would run off and attack if she could. I called her hellbitch.

19. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    An 1800.00 vet bill?
    I'd see a coyote bait station:chewy:

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If life were that easy.

picman likes this.