The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If only we could get people involved in Education, Infrastructure, deficit spending as we do on both sides of few football players taking a knee, just think of what we could do.

FYI we are not going to solve Chicago, Baltimore, St Louis, Detroit or any cities problems with tougher police tactics.

1. Education
    2. Educating Fathers to be Fathers
    3. Infrastructure

Fix those three and a lot of problems will be solved.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That and a good dose of Batman....or for the non believers of Mr Wayne then just some Darwinian justice.

outdoorjoe likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How do you measure success to see if the programs are working? The big problem I have with funding education is there is no accountability. Whenever there is a bond vote for funding the schools the school never does a good job of being transparent. For example the local school district is very large there are many people working in administration rather than teaching, seems if a bonding bill get voted down the district always threatens to cut teachers, they never seem to cut administration employees.

Same with funding for training or teaching fathers to be fathers, how do you measure success?

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stop
    Stop funding the schools through property taxes, also you can go read your schools budget, it's public record.

Training fathers to be fathers, that cannot be a government program, has to be done through example and us. Meaning we have to volunteer and show these young men what it means to be a father.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You think they will show? I am also an informed motor there is usually thing not included if you simply just read the information put out in the local paper. My wife also works for the district so I do ask her what is not being addressed in the press release.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  6. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And my point is are we as a nation half as outraged at kneeling football players' stupid anti-cop bigotry as some non-showering, bun-wearing, neck-bearded, gauge wearing mouth breather's racism?

We have a zero tolerance policy towards the n-word. I'm on board with that; its a bad word with a bad history from our bad past. But I also hold that kneeling players' view of institutional racism paints with just as broad of a brush as the moronic bun head you very correctly read the riot act, EXCEPT that the leftwing ****** canoes who control the media seem to get all moist and achy over NFL player prejudice.

There's a disparity in outrage in this country. Judging the entire group by the actions of a few is wrong, unless you're judging cops. Sick to death of that narrative.

Don't take this personally towards you, my friend. I'm probably just experiencing a bit of incoming hurricane misdirected rage. LOL.

7. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Public entities have to make budgets public, it's really not that hard.

Budget for 2019 fiscal year https://www.bedfordps.org/sites/bedfordps/files/uploads/fy19schoolcommitteebudgetrequest3.5final.pdf

One can check the board meetings also and see what they are spending the money on, for instance: They bought mulch

Motion to approved: The mulch purchase, as recommended.
    Be it resolved: That the Board of Education approves the mulch purchase, as recommended.
    Motion: Todd Bruning
    Support: Lisa McCaig
    No discussion
    Roll call vote taken
    Ayes: 6
    Nays: 0
    Motion carries: 6 - 0

In todays age it's a choice to remain ignorant on what public entities spend money on for state and local. The budgets can be found and looked at, and I am as ignorant as anyone when it comes to this, I got snarky with a MDOT guy few months ago about wasting money and he replied read the budget to see where we spend the money and he was correct, I was ignorant about where MDOT was spending the money on.

My rant is will spend(me including) lots of time to prove our selves right on issue(that has very little impact on our lives) to get a gotcha on someone, but won't spend 5 mins with real issues that have profound impact on our lives to see if the information we got from "the coffee shop" was legit.

FYI the last bond issue I voted "no", because I went and looked at the budget and found out they had the money.

Also I agree with SOTA the schools are a bit addicted to "we need a bond" to fix something. Example the HS parking lot is terrible designed, a simple of fix removing a row of parking would fix the issue. They came up with a Bond for a new space station for the parking lot, it get beat, but I did offer to buy a can of black paint to fix the issue;)

8. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you on all but one thing. We do not have a zero tolerance policy for use of the N word in this country. It’s only zero tolerance if you are white, which in my mind is terribly racist. Popular African American singers and rappers fill their lyrics with the n word. Then when a white teenager says it, even if the context isn’t bad he is instantly branded a racist. The double standard needs to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The cost of tires! My rant

cantexian, Germ and axtell343 like this.
  10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WHHAATT? Hell has frozen over. You mean two grown men can disagree over a plethora of issues and still find common ground without resorting to violent protests and nasty name calling in the news? Quit thinking for yourselves and let the left-wing media do it for you! This rant thread is becoming civilized!

axtell343 likes this.
  11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Replacement a breaker that controlled the garage door about a week ago. Thought I had it fixed, over a week without any issues. Go to leave for work today, and garage door is still not working. Had to use an extension cord to an outlet on another breaker to get out this morning. I really hope I don't have to call an electrician.

12. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience the only ballot measures that succeed for school bonds are the ones used to pay for new athletic facilities. A lot was made of merit pay for teachers. As a teacher I am willing to live with that as soon as we have merit pay for administrators.

We test the crap out of the kids, but never actually use the data to guide our efforts to improve. I mentioned to a 4th grade teacher in my district that the biggest impediment to success in my algebra classes is that the kids take 5 to 10 seconds to come up with the answer to 7 times 8. She told me that her principal doesn't want them wasting time on fluency, and that when the schedule says they have to be on chapter 4 they better be on chapter 4 whether or not the kids understood any of it. That is his interpretation of common core standards. To me it's like saying, "oh well, the concrete guys haven't done the foundation yet, but let's start framing up the walls anyway.

We do not value education. If we did our school would not have sent the teams for all 5 fall sports to away games on the first day of school. If we did, our athletic director would not agree to taking kids out of final exams for the state wrestling championships. If we did we would change the eligibility rules to no grade lower than a C, and not the no more than one failing grade that it currently is.

cantexian and Wiscohunter like this.
  13. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Of course stronger policing will not solve everything- but the theory of the Broken Window is real. Very real.
    The 3 things you say will fix "a lot of problems" are generational in breadth. Multi-generational, in fact. It will take half a century to effect real generational change, and likely more. Stronger policing can have a positive effect NOW. It's not a silver bullet, but it can have positive effects now, today.

A decade ago, when NYC was under stop and frisk policy; it was a decent city (relatively speaking.) Crime rates were pretty low; especially for its size. Now, it's a cesspool. It took less than 10 years to degenerate into its current state. Why? Cops are directed by the mayor to do nothing in regards to petty crime prevention.

Chicago's murder rate has spiraled out of control to levels not seen since the 90s. Why? Not enough cops on the streets and those that are do literally NOTHING but respond to crime scenes. At least the uniformed/marked units. The gang and narc guys do what they can but are hopelessly overwhelmed.

Laugh all you want, but it starts with weed. Marijuana use and possession is prohibited by federal law. But liberal cities and states have decriminalized it. So people are permitted by municipal authorities to have no respect for the rule of law. Go to any major city where weed is "legal" or at least decriminalized and you see (and smell) the same damn thing. Clouds of weed smoke everywhere, and brain dead zombies walking around in public. Harassing tourists and business people. Cops just stand around doing nothing. How in the hell in the span of a decade did the fog of weed smoke become completely acceptable in public when the smell of tobacco smoke is verboten ??? Chicago, LA, Baltimore, San Fran, NYC, Dallas, Detroit, Atlanta; it's all the same. Bunch of brain dead freaking zombies with no futures that we taxpayers support.

I'm sure there are multiple people on this site that smoke up. Fine, whatever. Do it in private. Grow your own. Get high or drunk at home or at a buddies. But smoke in public? Why is it suddenly acceptable to be intoxicated in public?

You know what the real number 1 societal problem is?
    Messed up people getting messed up on drugs and having really messed up kids that they are too messed up to take care of who in turn get all messed up because their mommy and daddy are too messed up to be proper parental role models. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Lastly, you cite education as being the number one problem with inner city issues. Why is it that far too often; the most highly educated people I meet these days are the biggest idiots with the ideas that initially lead to all these problems in the first place?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Fix likes this.
  14. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Google openly admitting trying to tamper with the 2016 presidential election and it not being reported

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greatwhitehunter3 likes this.
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What the media pick and chooses?

16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps you should stop hanging out with idiots?

17. w33kender

Dislikes Received:
    NYC city is safer than Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, Memphis, Charlotte...or at least, it was before VagFace Bloomberg became mayor.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Germ as hard as I try to avoid it I am still exposed to liberals.:biggrin:

19. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now go look at the numbers and tell me what happen to the areas around NY City and the crime rates, it won't fix the underlying problem. I am not saying it won't reduce crime in the city, I am all for more cops, but if we really want to reduce crime get these kids when they are young choices in education and skill trades.

I can go to the green zone in Detroit as I call it and have a blast, one would think there is no issue at all in Detroit. All we do is push the problem to another location and ignore it and then pat ourselves on the back on what a great job we did.

I am currently working with a group of parents trying to get skill trade glasses back in the Middle School/High School. As I told group of parents, the world will not need ditch diggers anymore.

We are about to see a shift in automation that will be catastrophic to the unskilled/uneducated workforce.

Since 1984 output for products made in America has doubled and were doing it with less people, that trend of producing more with less labor is only going to grow.

dnoodles, w33kender and tkaldahl2000 like this.
  20. w33kender

Dislikes Received:
    I commend your efforts in the MS and HS for trade classes. I agree they're needed and would be very positive. If you've never heard of him, look into Baruti Kafele to talk to some schools and teachers in your area. The guy turned around some inner city Jersey schools in every way imaginable. Not just test score improvement but growing young men into anybody's idea of what a young man should be.

http://www.principalkafele.com/