The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    so sorry for your family's loss OND

oldnotdead likes this.
  2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OND, that brought tears to my eyes. Having many dogs throughout life - it's rough. It truly is. Like your daughter, mine are my children, too. The only thing that makes it a bit easier is knowing that went so peacefully with their human right there (hugs).

3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks
    We talked early this morning and she sent me a pic of Dakota I took a few,years ago. She picked up a turkey feather on one of our walks when they were a grams for a visit. She refused to drop it and carried it like this the entire walk and when we got home...lol

IMG_1494.jpg

picman, gltomp, TJF and 4 others like this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Feeling pretty good this morning I put two family members in their place last night, both vowed to never show at a family gathering again, good you ignorant ungrateful trash, and if you do show I will point out your bull to your face.

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I’m sorry for your family’s loss. I’m also sorry I didn’t see your earlier post about this but I don’t spend much time in the water cooler.

You know that I understand what you all are going through and my heart goes out to you, your daughter and your son in law.

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Damn! Sota is on a roll!

Taking care of problems on two fronts!

My wife had mentioned moving to MN for retirement. I should tell her I could work there! Although purchasing is not what I do, it is in my field of Supply Chain Management.

Would I make enough to live on a lake?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    Sota likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not my lake:biggrin:

8. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, would never want to live near a co-worker.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have no friends at work, none. Has to be that way.

10. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I understand your point of view here, but I believe that depends on the individual and the work environment.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I was an employee yes, as an owner not possible. There is also zero point in kissing my butt either. I am not a jerk boss either just consistent.

gltomp and LittleChief like this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yellow jackets! Uhhgggggh. Hubby the other day noticed a hive being established in a huge purple Martin house I was gifted. Well it is wooden . And in need of paint so had it on a table under deck roof. Well it became a " project"'and I just do not have the patients for a "project". I just called hubby to let him know he doesn't need to worry I took care of it.
    How!
    Well gorilla taped hole this morning. Watched for returning scavengers, about a dozen. Let them wear themselves senseless trying to get in sealed hive. Then got the Gator tail gate down and backed up to the table. Grabbed a 10 ft piece of fir from garage pushed the house into dump bed. Hopped in and drove away fast across the street. Backed up to the edge of woods away from where we go and lifted the bed and drove away. Figure it will take the rest of day for those scavenger yellow jackets to either leave or die from exhaustion. Easy breezy. I'll go get the house in a week or two. Thinking heat may kill them before they can chew through the thick plywood.

gltomp likes this.
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Coming back to this, what does everyone think about USPS employment?

Think it could be a 25 year career change?

I am seriously, very seriously, considering it. They don't have a 401k plan, still trying to figure out if I can roll my current 401k into their Thrift Retirement Plan.

While I would be taking an initial pay cut to do so(depending on what starting pay is), I think I could actually do better in the long run. Not sure what they start out at though, that info varies with searches.

This is likely something I would do at the beginning of 2023, have a 2 week Florida vacation planned Christmas through first week of January. Would give me several months to prepare and not make a knee jerk decision on.

I turn 48 next month and fully expect to have to work until mid 60's to early 70's. Both due to retirement age likely changing between now and then and S.S. being depleted.

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Can't (rather won't) offer advice on the career change, but on the 401k, you may be able to leave it at your current employer (may depend on a number of factors) or better still, look into rollover into a self directed IRA (you'd have more choices of investments)...

In addition to the thrift plan, I think they also have a pension under FERS...

Most important better check out what sort of time off options (or seniority) looks like for the rut.

15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, they do have the new(est) FERS after 1984 pension. Not even going to consider asking work about holding it in their's until a notice is put in, if it ever is. Guess that is a gametime decision there

The only thing I'm worried about on career change, aside from stepping too far back in pay, is the longevity of USPS itself. Always been rumored they would not be able to sustain and that has been since I was a kid and yet they're still here. Will they be around for 25 more years?

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yellow jackets! Uhhgggggh. Hubby the other sanitized a hive being established,she'd in a huge purple Martin house I was gifted. Well it is wooden . And in need of paint so had it on a table under deck roof. Well it became a " project"'and I just do not have the patients for a "project". I just called hubby to let him know he doesn't need to worry I took care of it

17. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Japanese beetles are overrunning one of my apple trees. Regular tree spray does nothing. Bought a spray that says "kills on contact". HA

Used another one with a different active ingredient. Nope-still there.

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Bt but it takes time and seven plus Bt early season to kill them as grubs. ...you need to "go to ground" as it were early to get them

19. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go to Amazon and look up "Japanese beetle trap". Yes they work, you just have to be Jonny on the spot emptying them. Otherwise those dead beetles in the trap start stinking like a corpse, especially in the heat. You might need several, but they are very effective. They're like 15 bucks if you want to just try one first.

dnoodles and oldnotdead like this.
  20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Set them away from the trees though.

OND was spot on, Sevin if you need immediate relief, BT for the long game. I literally mentioned to my wife yesterday, I haven't seen a Japanese beetle in years after BT.

oldnotdead likes this.