The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bottle of moonshine. Chainsaw....

cantexian and TJF like this.
  2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wish. It's probably over 100' tall, 50' wide and half of it hangs over my house. Otherwise I would have drilled a 1" core 18" deep into the sumbitch, and packed it with black powder and a fuse 5 years ago.

Nothing would give me more immediate satisfaction than to personally bomb this thing straight to hell.

cantexian, virginiashadow and TJF like this.
  3. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of the best things I did last summer was cutting down the 6 trees by the garage and power lines. It was a lot of work and by doing myself, only cost $700. Granted they were not cottonwoods. I have one young cottonwood in my back yard that is already 70' tall. That thing is going down this summer. Just not sure how to cut it so it doesn't take out the neighbor's garage and Barb's little shed.

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like to climb those attach a long rope then attach that to the Gator winch. I hing the back side of direction I want it to fall. Hing a little then tighten the line with the winch hinge and tighten, do this until I hear the first crack and see direction of that split. This is easy with the pruning saw because it keeps me at a safe distance. When I see its splitting in the right direction I winch it down where I want it. Then cut it up

TJF likes this.
  5. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're hired !! I usually cheat. I will get a long stout rope or log chains. Take the extension ladder and go as high as I can. Attach rope/chain to tree and to hitch of my truck. Notch out the side I want it to fall to. Have Barb put a little pressure on it with the truck. Cut the back side until it starts to crack and then have Barb pull it slowly over with the truck.

This tree just got too high. I don't have enough room in the yard to do it that way without hitting the truck or Barb. Was entertaining the idea of pulling out my old tree climber stand. Shimmy up the tree, cut it in smaller pieces and just work my way down to a safe height to finish it off with the truck. The tree is forked about 3' up so I have two parts of it to cut down.

oldnotdead and dnoodles like this.
  6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain.

Neighbor has some sort of fern tree, 40 foot tall and draped over my garage. Covered in an invasive vine. Utility company has trimmed it back so it is my property top heavy, should it fall. Effing thing drops styrofoam type pellets during pollination.

My neighbors are my enemies.

dnoodles and TJF like this.
  7. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ok winter can quit now. Sister got 12" out in the western part of the state this weekend. They were pretty much trapped in their house for 4 days with the last blast of 22"s last weekend. They were out of power from 6 this morning until 7 tonight. Still no internet or cable tv.

We got about 2 inches of rain Friday and Saturday then 1.5 of snow today. Still have power but we were a lot luckier than a lot of other places in the state. Roads flooding over. Lakes that once were fields. We have lost a lot of acreage due to water that we probably won't get back now. Went from a drought last year to losing a 1000 or more acres of cropland to water now. That is a 20% loss for us. Talking more rain next weekend. At the rate it is going, it could be a 30% rate loss by the time we finally get seeding. We will be lucky to be seeding by the middle of May. That is late for us. The windows of getting the different crops in become very small. Still just the two of us when it has always been 4-5 of us. Any of you know how to run a rock picker or a 60' cultivator pulled by a 535 quad 4-wheel drive tractor ?? Asking for a friend.

dnoodles and GregH like this.
  8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    my other side neighbors are....not cool. But the one I share The Demon with is otherwise alright; he's an older AF vet and generally a nice guy but he loves that GD tree b/c without it his property would get no shade- it's on the SE corner of his lot which means it's almost always down or off-wind from him and he never has to deal with the trash. He once told me he one of the reasons he didn't want me cutting it down because it would cost him more in AC bills in the summer.

So for me (without the developer's involvement) to get to the top with a boom truck would require accessing it from the neighbor's side of the property line- which he was reluctant to give and technically the tree belonged to both of us...So until this developer (contractor) started doing his thing, which means they have access from their side and allegedly (per a conversation the contractor had with my wife the other day) have to basically dig up right next to the base of the trunk to tie into the sewer system from the road- which means tearing up the root system and causing all sorts of problems going forward.

So the wife said the contractor offered to cut it down from his side if we take down that area of our fence (DEAL!) so they can drop the limbs safely and get them out, neighbor was told he didn't have a choice in the matter otherwise the Eminent Domain deal with the developer and the City stated they were granted easement from the northside through my neighbor's property...and otherwise would truck through there and tear all kinds of schtuff up, from my neighbor's yard to the root system which would probably kill The Demon anyway.

So ultimately, unless my neighbor takes us to court The Demon's days are numbered, but the c-sucker sure as hell splooged all over my property one last time.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I just can't "like" this post but I feel for you.

...will work for hunting rights, though. :)

TJF likes this.
  10. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

You know that hunting rights is a good idea. Maybe we could work something out. We found this matched set of sheds. I know what area he haunts. I think the buck will blow up and be huge this year...

Resized_20210521_151141.jpg

picman, cantexian, gltomp and 4 others like this.
  11. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It’s rare to see deer shed their spine, great find…you usually only see that with elected officials.

picman, Mod-it, cantexian and 6 others like this.
  13. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good rants people .......... no envy here.

14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    'haunts' is right!
    Seems like he'd be easy to pattern, early season anyway.

TJF likes this.
  15. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just got home from my bar. I was all set to get some outdoor work done today as it wasn't supposed to rain.

Well, it is raining and snowing with some pretty brisk winds up to 38 mph and a temp of 36 degrees. :mad:

TJF and Sota like this.
  16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It has been that kind of spring with no end in site.

TJF and GregH like this.
  17. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was sitting in the living room reading when I heard something crash to the floor in the kitchen. The wife was in there doing some cooking. After the crash, a cat came flying out and the air turned blue with expletives. It seems that one of her cats did not think that the plastic container with 24 eggs in it should be on "his" table!

I did the smart thing and took the dogs for a ride and got some more eggs!

picman, Mod-it, TJF and 4 others like this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am really starting to get a little pissed about this BS weather. The cold and the GD wind.

picman, TJF, buzzard317 and 2 others like this.
  19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just saw online a way to open english muffins without using a knife kinda feel like a DA now.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So far in the twin cities in April 19 days below average temperatures and has been the windiest winter on record, and I bet I have more below average highs NW of the cities. Will be 21 degrees in the morning.