The Quintessential Backpack Prep

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Where's Bruce?, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Where's Bruce?

Where's Bruce? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Has anyone come dangerously close to achieving complete satisfaction with your basic camping pack organization? As a bowhunter who will infrequently spend 1-10 days or more in the field living out of a pack, I would be very interested in posts listing the items you carry for any overnight stay with an addendum for items added (besides food) based on the number of nights spent in the field. You might even segregate hot, mild and cold weather conditions for certain items. This is something I and many others (based on what I see in various hunting forums) struggle with all the time.

Nobody I know has suggested they have developed the quintessential pack item list and while individual selections will always vary (for example, I always camp in a hammock) I know there are items I could lose and/or might consider adding…especially in the First Aid dept. I recently stepped up to a Kifaru DT1 with alot extras (pockets, Longhunter lid, Woobie, meat & stuff sacks, Grab-it, etc) but now it’s time to get more serious with the list of pack items that are optional and mandatory so I can utilize the numerous pullouts effectively and cut unnecessary weight. For us with less experience, your assistance in this area could be invaluable. Care to share your expertise and lessons learned the hard way?

2. Where's Bruce?

Dislikes Received:
    Alot of views and not a single post. WTF?

I carry the basics:

Sleep system (shelter & bag)
    Jetboil & Mountain House/coffee
    Foil, plastic bags, titanium spork and seasonings
    Katadyne water filter & a straw
    First Aid
    Kill kit (knives/game bags)
    Headlamps and flashlights
    Electronics, compass & map
    Cordage, firestarters, etc
    PLB (in case of rattlesnake bite or some other imminent death scenario)
    Camp shoes (Crocs)
    Extra clothes & hand towel
    TP & toiletries
    Sidearm and/or bear spray
    Bow & arrow case
    Fishing pole (to augment the MH when possible)
    Predator handcall
    phone/pen/pad & licenses
    Spade or entrenching tool (sometimes)
    Saw (sometimes)
    Wiggy's UL waders (sometimes)
    Camera (sometimes)
    Snivel gear (sometimes...items like cigars, flask, cookies, whatever)
    A positive attitude and sense of humor (don't leave home without it)

With water I'm at 55lbs give or take 6lbs.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had experience yet but as I plan on doing a DIY elk hunt next fall, so I will probably need some insight as well. We plan on using our trucks as base camp, but if we end up too far afield to return we will have to overnight it at least. We will be going in late Sept, and temps avg a 75/40 split.

For starters, I know I will pack the following:

1lb pemmican
    2 extra pairs of socks
    1 extra pair of undies
    unscented biodegradable baby wipes
    DDW deodorant and "shower" wipes
    travel toothbrush and paste
    water purifying tablets
    slickboil collapseable coffee pot (1lb, and can be used as a dutch oven in a pinch)
    cricket spork camp eating tool
    knife
    space blanket
    crushable 650 jacket (doubles as travel pillow)
    2 butane "torch" lighters (and steel wool for tinder)
    magnesium firestarter
    emergency hammock with rain fly (under 2lbs)
    Marmot Helium 15* sleeping bag (~ 2.5lbs)
    instant coffee and collapseable mug
    GPS
    5 salt packets
    5 pepper packets
    5 splenda packets
    1 stainless flask of Jamesons

all told...maybe 15lbs of gear. add another 3lbs of water in a bladder bag (which I'd probably drink half of before noon first day) and I feel pretty good about that.

4. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    forgot a couple important ones (been hitting the jameson's as I typed it out)
    -first aid kit inc. Epi pen
    -2 large lawn garbage bags
    -small hand saw

I didn't include the sidearm on my list as opinions on those are as like bungholes...everyone has one, and they usually stink. Plus, my sidearm won't be in my pack.

I did like the camp shoe idea. Comfy as Danners are, after 10 hours of hoofing it up and down mountains you gotta peel them off and let the dogs breathe a bit before bedtime. So a pair of Crocs make the list. I would also bring a can of Kodiak, because even though I quit over 5 years ago, if I fell into a crevasse and got stuck and had to saw my arm off or die, or ran into another near-hopeless situation; I would definitely throw in "one last" dip.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  5. Where's Bruce?

Dislikes Received:
    I also take fishing trips and scouting trips and sometimes am more of a spotter than a hunter so my load changes depending on the trip. Extra clothes are restricted to shell raingear, socks, beanie, insulated vest, maybe a jacket and gloves. I have a 2lb Helix chair I haven't taken yet but might for predator calling or extended fishing trips. My plastic spade doesn't weigh more than a couple of ounces but for Dakota fires and cat holes it's fine. Crocs are ideal for bathing & relaxing in camp, won't ever give em up. Same for the PLB, rattlesnake phobia aside, if I were to come across an injured or ill person in a life threatening scenario...pushing the button could save a life. Many lives could have been spared by carrying a ResQ beacon. Cheap insurance IMHO. One other thing I should mention is this, I may pack all this crap in but I am not wearing it on the hunt. I hang my pack in a tree, strap on a light fanny pack for hunting and return to the big pack when I'm done. This is my standard M.O. The Sitka Ascent 8 carries all my daily needs.

[​IMG]

6. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some day I'll do a multi day camping trip Looking for a mulie or elk. With sensitive digestive tract I would have to pack foods that would not tear me up. Something to consider. Also a multi vitamin so you are feeding your engine what it needs.

7. tlrfshr

tlrfshr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I carry a pack with me anywhere I go hunting whether it be for a day or for a week. I always have the essentials for certain things and some things are just there cause I never know when I may need them.

The backpack I am using is one from Walmart but seems very heavy and very well built. So far I've used it once this year and love it. Holds a ton of gear and has plenty of adjustments to keep things from shifting and making noise.

Now for whats inside:

Water Reservoir W/ Drinking Hose
    Toilet Paper
    Towel
    HD Nylon Rope
    Flashlight W/ Blinking Warning light
    Extra Batteries
    Glowsticks
    Lighter and Matches
    Self Fire-Starter (Flint Strike Things)
    Extra Knife (Tied into Strap)
    Antler Calls (Tied Onto Outside)
    Extra Game Calls (Turkey, Duck, Deer, ETC...)
    Protein / Energy Bars
    First Aid Kit
    Thermal Blanket
    Extra Bungee Cords
    Extra Camera Cards
    Updated Map
    Compass
    Binoculars
    Orange Hunter Safety Vest

I'm sure I'm missing some things I should be carrying but thats where I should ask you all, what else do I need? I know each to their own and what you carry is based on the type of hunting / backpacking you do in a weekend but I always like to hear what you all take with you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I have the exact same pack.
    soon as I read that I was like "wonder if it's the same one I got" and then I saw the pic. I was en route to hang my pre-season cams/stands this year when I realized I had forgotten to grab my old pack from the basement, and was way to far to turn around. So I stopped in at the first wally world I saw (not much civilization on that stretch.) $25, I used it all season, it performed well. Only complaint is one of the female clasps came off at the seam on my last hunt; I'll have the old lady sew it back on before next season. Kept my gear nice and dry, and I really liked the built-in bow/rifle holder. Plus the shoulder and belly straps are big enough for it to be strapped right over my climber with no mods.

I also forgot to add a 50' spool of paracord to my list.