The pursuit of perfection is ruining sports

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Germ, May 1, 2019.

1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good article, I would also say this does not just sports are being ruined.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/warriors-rockets-fouls-referees-and-nba-perfection.html

"The goal of instant replay was to make sure that no vital series would ever be decided by an official. The result appears to be that series will not be decided by the players and the fates, but by detailed memos and committee meetings."

"Technology was supposed to get us all closer to that objective truth, but all it’s doing is backing up one’s personal, subjective interpretation. We all see what we want to see. Technology doesn’t widen the perspective on truth. It just makes it easier to make up your own."

2. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From the title of the thread, I expected something quite different. Typical journalists - in my personal ranking, they are even below lawyers.
    But yes, I agree. Video surveillance does not do any good to sports. European football (soccer) associations use it too, or considering it.
    Good thing is I don't have TV, not needing to watch sports ...

3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect referees? Perfect people? Never happen! My wife and I watch baseball and college basketball. Done this for many years. We have seen some plays in baseball or college basketball that were overturned due to the replay. Cameras can take different angles whereas the umpire or referee is limited to one view. I have often thought of how many games in the last 100 years would have turned out different with modern technology.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah baseball needs something to slow down the blistering pace of a 4 hour baseball game.

cantexian likes this.
  5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. It is making a lot of pro football and basketball games suck to watch.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The last 2 minutes of a basketball game already lasts a half hour.

w33kender likes this.
  7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bring it back to the 80s and 90s basketball. Rough. No replay.

ash d likes this.
  8. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

virginiashadow likes this.
  9. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Sota, that is because they have upteen time-outs at the last 2 or 3 minutes. They take a timeout practically every play. Should have no time-outs in the last two minutes. As for pro baseball, look at the $$$ involved in the stats for the players. Out or safe will up the stats.
    BTW, my grandson plays for the Braves organization. Aware of all that is involved in pro baseball. Much more exciting when you are personally involved! Several years ago, he played one game that went 14 innings and closed at 1 AM. Talk about a long day!

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is the fouling and time outs that add to the never ending last 2 minutes.

11. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. Never could understand deliberately fouling a guy! That just gives the opposing team an opportunity to score a point or two. If you foul, do it to the guy with the 50% free throw average; saw some this past year. We always called the foul shot a charity shot.
    If I was a basketball coach, I would have the 50% guy at the line for hours...until he got up to 80%.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's why the 50% guy seldom touches the ball at the end of a close game. It is inbounded to the highest percentage shooter. If fouling didn't end up in won games, it would not be a tactic that coaches use successfully over and over.

Germ and Okiebob like this.