The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice going Team 12! Congrats.

2. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great work Fletch! This team is on fire!!! Crazy cool to be part of this group!

Oldcarp, MIHOYT89 and fletch920 like this.
  3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right now the plan is to get back after them this afternoon. Good wind for a few different stands. My requirements for buck score are dwindling. But, I wont shoot a young deer no matter.

4. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I want to apologize for dropping off the radar for over a month. I took quite a bit of time to just spent with family and friends, and life if getting back to somewhat normal.

I didn’t hunt much late season, maybe 4-5 times. I shot a doe around the 25-26th of November. The other times out I was on a giant 10 that finally showed back up early December. I played cat and mouse with him and laid eyes on him once but couldn’t seal the deal.

My season came down to the last day where I decided to hang up the bow and strictly go out to target does with a gun. It ended up being a great night and I was able to fill my last 3 doe tags.

Attached is a picture of the bit 10 and a picture of the does. Image1609862463.787745.jpg Image1609862501.548694.jpg Image1609862519.697211.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Sounds good and who knows how many points we might need to win this.

Really liked you and Little Chiefs remarks in the smack tack thread. Got a good laugh from it!

LittleChief and fletch920 like this.
  6. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mitch congrats on your action packed hunt! Pile of venison there.
    That 10 should be a real monster next year!

LittleChief and MIHOYT89 like this.
  7. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch way to go. You put us over 1300 points.
    Mitch that is a nice pile of deer

LittleChief likes this.
  8. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    This was my excitement for last week couple duck hunting trips and ice fishing trip with the grandkids.

Attached Files:

9. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    We seldom get a chance at Pintails. I saw some beauties with long sprigs in Texas on a hunt one time, but never got a chance to connect. Not sure why, but I have always wanted to shoot a late winter Pintail to have mounted. I used to carve decorative decoys and was on a kick of carving pintails for quite a while. Love them. Looks like some great fishing also! Fun pictures, thanks for sharing.

Oldcarp and tynimiller like this.
  10. Team Haastyle

Dislikes Received:
    Not gonna lie.... pretty excited to try and repeat this team's success in 2021 (as long as another team doesn't have some crazy 300-500 point swing in three weeks)

11. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch, we get quite a few pintails our way. They are really beautiful this time of year.

Haastyle, I hope we can do it again next year to

12. Team Haastyle

Dislikes Received:
    Season has wrapped up here in Wisconsin so now transitioning to shed hunting, winter scouting, and land management work. This is one buck I’m waiting to drop his bone but as of last week he was still fighting bucks in camera. What are everyone’s off season plans? I’m going to be expanding some transition plots, frost seeding, and doing some TSI work. IMG_3710.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

farmer rick likes this.
  13. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    A good friend of mine has been chasing a lifetime buck all Fall. He had a really close encounter with his bow in November but no shot. He has hunted him all gun season. He finally sealed the deal a couple of evenings ago when the buck messed up and got within 100 yards. He dropped him with muzzleloader. When the buck hit the ground, BOTH sides popped off! We scored the sheds last night and with an 18" spread credit, the buck scores 211 and change. Brow tines are 8 and 9 and there are 3 tines of 12" or more and 5 abnormals on each side of a 5 x 5 frame for 20 scoreable points. I have some pictures, but he has asked at this point that I not share them. He is having the buck mounted and the taxidermist said to just save the skull and he can put the antlers back nearly identical. One of my target bucks came by this week and had already shed both sides also.

I sat last evening and saw over 20 deer. At least 15 were within bow range. Every single one of them was a doe or fawn. The bucks are really grouped up with the poor weather and tougher feeding pattersn, so I am pushing in on them for the last few days. Our season is over the 10th.

14. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Fletch. I hope you get a chance to connect.

fletch920 likes this.
  15. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    We had a couple of warm days and now cold again, so the snow has a thick crust on top again and is terrible. The deer are staying in the timber because they dont like walking on it. I only saw two deer last night where I had seen more than 30 the evening before when it was warm out and the snow was soft. I will have to push into the timber the last couple of days. But, if it is still out, they will hear me enter from a half mile away. Worst conditions ever for trying to fill a bow tag, but I wont quit until the closing bell on the 10th.

Here is a photo of my friends deer that shed both sides. It went 211 7/8" with a 18" spread credit. One side was 99 3/8 and the other 94 4/8. He is letting me post pictures now because it was on family ground that is for sale and they hope this helps find a buyer.
    20210107_143425.jpg

farmer rick, S.McArthur and ash d like this.
  16. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Our season is officially over, minus this weekend for private land in zone L (My zone) and CWD zones. I do not see myself getting out at all, I finally got my .300black out parts in and the gun is together; perhaps I'll see what it's like to kill a deer with a rifle.
    I believe we got this contest won, unless there is a 3am point dump. Super pumped to do this again next year, I'll be ready.

Oldcarp, ash d and fletch920 like this.
  17. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    We don’t have white tail here but the mule deer usually don’t shed their antlers till the middle to end of February. Of course it’s always cool to find the elk sheds.
    The duck hunt ends at the end of the month and I will ice fish till about April. About the middle of June, depending on the snow. I start putting cameras out and scouting for deer and elk.

ash d likes this.
  18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, I am officially tapping out with just the 50 points. The thick layer of ice on our snow made conditions really tough to get to the spots I need to be to shoot something with a bow. It was even tough to try with muzzleloader. The deer were staying tight in the timber and to get into the timber with them, they could hear you cracking through the ice for a half mile. I was lucky to get the doe I got on a day that it warmed up enough to soften the crust on top. I watched a group on Saturday with binoculars in a timber that did not move 100 yards all day. They were just browsing on the limbs etc. Now that season is closed, we have a warm spell this week that will make it perfect conditions again, but just a few days too late. Being stuck at home with Covid for the entire rut cost me and our team my best chance at a good buck with the bow. I hope we will all be together again next year as defending champs and I get a chance to redeem myself. The good news is, I have several good bucks that will be that much better next year. I saw several 150's and 160's this weekend that will all push B&C next year and all of our seasons are now closed, so they should be good to go. I was also chasing one that was pushing 180's this year and he will be my focus for next season. He could end up being a real bruiser next season. Best of luck to all of you that still have tags. Hunt safe and have fun.

MIHOYT89, ash d, farmer rick and 4 others like this.
  19. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Unless I'm missing something that's it for the team this year, right? Is anyone else hunting that can still contribute points?

Like you said Fletch, hopefully we get to do it again next year as the returning champs. We just have to wait and see what the other teams produce the next 20 days.

Oh, and I killed another doe this morning on public land in Arkansas. :tu:

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I technically still could add 50 points as I have a reduction property till the end of January. Who knows if I find a stand though as life just may not allow it time wise. If I go and depending what stand and temperatures I'll grab the bow just for further spread vs the competition LOL :)

ash d, Team Haastyle, Oldcarp and 3 others like this.