The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weekend update: Wasn't terrible, but it could have gone better. Friday was a skunk, didn't see anything. Saturday morning I woke up at midnight, laid in bed until 0230 and said screw it, get up and nap in the tree. Got to tree about 0330, setup and closed my eyes for a while. About 20min until I could see I took a good look/listen and assumed nothing was there, damn wet leaves hid the buck standing over a scrape 20 yards in front of me. I was making an adjustment and got busted.
    Half hour later two button bucks started head-butting each other...until I realized it was a doe and a fawn, she was kicking the fawn off her. The cloud cover and lack of sun really screwed with my eyes that morning. By the time I got a good look at her, she stayed about 60 yards and never got closer.
    Got down about 0930 and did some staling/scouting since I had the wind in my favor and wet leaves, I was like a ninja out there, found some good signs, going to adjust fire on some stand locations. Got into the cedar thicket and got 15 yards from a doe bedded with a buck tending her (maybe, he was there), well, they saw me first, crazy how well hidden they were that close. She got up and tried to get around me to wind me, I almost got a shot on her.
    That was all I did, spent time with my family since I'm heading to Illinois Wednesday. Fingers crossed I can put the hammer down on a big illinois buck.
    Cheers folks!

Oldcarp, farmer rick and tynimiller like this.
  2. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Illinois trip is pushed to next week, rain is coming and the other guy I go with had an employee break a foot, so he is short handed. Weather looks better though.

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Prime time to hunt and I am sick. Last 24 hours I have slept 16. Fever, terrible muscle aches, headacbe, cough and cant get warm. My wife is driving me an hour and twenty minutes each way this evening to get an immediate result covid test. Tomorrow is my Mom's 83rd birthday and I hate that I cant go see her. Better days ahead!!

4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    @Brett Smith - I sent you a PM but thought I’d try to reach you here also.

I saw that you posted two pics in the scorecard on two different posts. I thought I had successfully merged them into one post.

I guess I was wrong because when I deleted the extra post the second pic disappeared.

If you could edit your post and add the second pic that would be great. If not, just PM me both pics and I’ll get it fixed.

Sorry for the confusion. I did that on a break in the flooring job at my brother’s new house.

tynimiller likes this.
  5. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I tested positive for Covid. I guess the bright side is, if I live, I will get some extra time in the stand! Right now I feel way too crappy to hunt. But I am hopeful that will not last.

Oldcarp and tynimiller like this.
  6. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wishing you a fast and complete recovery Fletch. That really a bummer to get sick this time of year.

fletch920 likes this.
  7. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get well soon fletch

fletch920 likes this.
  8. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda made a mistake tonight. had a small 9 or 10 pt. come in behind me. He left with out getting a shot, half an hour later this buck came walking by, thought it was the same deer. It wasn't. Not a big deal probably only 10 inches difference. I'm happy made a great shot he only went 50 yards and I watched him go down. I'll score him tomorrow and enter him in the scoring thread. I do have two pics. with me and my bow. IMG_1616.JPG

9. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on tagging a nice buck and making a great shot!

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah brother!!!

@fletch920 it's sabotage!! You're wife gave you covid when you stole that buck from her LOL! I'm battling a serious congestion issue presently and worry about hunting through it and getting sick for the prime rut....gonna pull out of plan to hunt evening tonight and wait till Friday - hopefully it breaks free. Get better man!! Most of the folks I've known Covid wrecks their energy for a time and then they're good.

fletch920 likes this.
  11. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    @Brett Smith - Never mind about the pics for the scorecard. I managed to get the damage I did repaired. We're driving to my brother's new house right now and I have my laptop on my, well, lap. Some things just can'd be done on an iPhone.

@farmer rick - Congratulations on the buck! I'm happy for you brother!

12. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That’s no mistake! That’s a pretty buck and a great shot Rick, congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Oldcarp and tynimiller like this.
  13. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Back at it tonight in Michigan finally! Any 100+ lb doe and one buck in particular goes! If it’s not that one buck he’ll have to be 140”+

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch, get yourself better.

MIHOYT89 and fletch920 like this.
  15. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Farmer rick way to go. Buck looks good to me.

16. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hectic day for me. So I was getting to post on Lfts this morning when out of the corner of my eye I caught some movement. It was the 8pt I had 2 encounters with previously. I had a shot at him the first time a couple weeks ago and decided to pass. 2nd time I saw him he was with a big 8. Now this 3rd time when I saw him there was another deer trailing him. I thought it was the big one but it ended up being a 4pt. So the 8 made a scrape but spooked as I was trying to turn around in my stand but not to bad. He proceeds to go around the back of my stand then circles around to me on the logging road working another scrape. I figured there’s must be a reason I keep getting this opportunity so I took it. Shot the deer quartering towards me. I thought he was a little more broadside but you’ll see in the pics that wasn’t the case. I shot had good blood on impact and for awhile as I was tracking then lost it. I didn’t have time to post as I was trying hustle if I was going to recover this deer and get to the butcher and be to work by 230. Deer ended up going about 400yds and of course onto someone else property. So they were nice enough to allow me to go on there property where myself and the landowner of the property I was hunting on found the deer dead in the logging road. There’s more but I feel like I’m long winded. So here’s the pics. I’ll score before I submit on the scoreboard. He’s no giant. First pic entrance hole, 2nd pic exit hole it gutted him. I’ve never had that happen before.

Attached Files:

17. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck Ash! Great job keeping on the trail to find him!

18. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    I see team 20 is in 3rd place with our score. I wonder who to blame lol.

ash d and tynimiller like this.
  19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Ash!!! Get those two pics with bow and two backstraps on the grill!!!!

ash d likes this.
  20. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got the pics I just posted the one here.

tynimiller likes this.