The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's been a hectic week but it's calmed down now. I had to move all of my daughter's household goods back into her house Monday, so I went up Friday and hunted. I saw a ton of deer but no bucks big enough to shoot.

I did have a little four wheeler accident but it just left my back a little sore. The next day I tripped on some old barbed wire and face planted hard on the walk out.

My wife drove up Monday morning and since my daughter had to work the two of us moved all of her furniture out of Josh's basement and got it loaded in a U-Haul trailer. Our daughter showed up about 1:00 and we took it to her house and got it carried in.

I got a good night's sleep last night and here in an hour or so I'll be headed to my brother's house in just outside Flippin, AR. I've said this before, but his property adjoins Corps of Engineers land around Bull Shoals Lake. It's muzzleloader season in Arkansas so I'm taking the bow and my TC Encore and I'll have them both in the tree. I'll hunt primarily with the bow and I'll have the Encore hung on the tree in case something I want to shoot is out of bow range.

It could be a lot of fun.

2. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man Fletch! I'm really sorry to hear about your problems. Do they have any idea if the vision problems are permanent or is it something that will improve with time?

fletch920 likes this.
  3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Prayers for both mothers' health and your eye brother!

fletch920 likes this.
  4. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wishing you a speedy recovery Fletch. Littlechief glad to hear your accident wasn’t as bad as it could have been. Good luck in Arkansas.

fletch920 likes this.
  5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an appointment with an eye surgeon on Dec 16th for evaluation and then schedule surgery on both eyes, two weeks apart. The optometrist was very confident that they could do a great job of bringing my vision back to better than ever. In fact, I may not even need glasses anymore once healed up. I seem to be a good candidate for lens replacement at the same time they are removing the cataracts.

ash d and LittleChief like this.
  6. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man Fletch, when it rains it pours! Sorry to hear about all of that. But I just read your last post about your eye surgery, it definitely sounds promising! It’s just something about eye surgery that scares the hell out of me! Good luck on what sounds like a much needed fishing trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

fletch920 likes this.
  7. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch sorry to hear about your eye problems. Sounds good for getting them fixed though. Hoping your mother and mil make fast and full recoveries.

Little Chief you need to be care full out there. Told my daughter in law same thing this weekend. She sliced her hand open carving pumpkin, 9 stitches.

8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well, at least that part is good news. I remember when I had LASIK done. It was the best thing I ever did. I didn’t need contacts or glasses any more. It was incredible. Now I’m back to needing reading glasses but so far they haven’t found a cure for getting old.

fletch920 likes this.
  9. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I’m set up on my brother’s place in Arkansas. Well, sort of.

This place is a bust. It’s full of deer but all of the acreage is cedar trees and small scrub/saplings. There’s not a climbable tree anywhere in the woods and even if there were it’s almost un-huntable because it’s so thick. I found a tree that is practically in his yard and I’m sitting here with just my muzzleloader.

Not only is the property super thick, but it’s also so steep that getting a bow kill out would be next to impossible.

I’ll sit here this evening and tomorrow morning and if I get a shot I’ll put the bullet right at the top of the shoulder blade and drop it on the spot. It shouldn’t be too difficult because the longest shot I have Is about 40 yards. Well, I do have an 80 yard shot across the back yard. :lol:

After tomorrow morning I’ll either head home or cut south to our cabin at Wattensaw WMA.

10. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I finally made up my mind on Missouri, I will be westbound tomorrow morning at some point. My only dilemma is if I want to leave at 3 tomorrow morning or at 10 after a morning hunt here in Michigan. I hung that set on Tuesday and we’ve had plenty of rain to wash away scent. The flat that I put the stand on is loaded with acorns and I counted 15+ rubs and 3 scrapes from the stand. And I have the perfect wind to hunt it in the morning.

What to do what to do? (I will be in Missouri until next Thursday or Friday)

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I took my wife out last evening for our first sit of the year. She was packing her crossbow that had belonged to her father. We had a beautiful evening and I actually sat in short sleeves in the blind until the last 30 minutes. We sat on a clover field that had some decent activity. The best buck we saw was a mid 130's 9 point, but she was holding out for a big 10 that I had pictures of there. The cell cam sent me a picture of the big 10 standing by the blind while we were still in the truck on the way home! lol.

12. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great time Fletch.

13. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m back fellas, I had to take care some things, I’ll leave it at that.
    I snuck out for an evening hunt, no expectations, just to force myself to do something. Well, right as I finish screwing in the ozonics, a nice 10 comes in, looked like he was going to walk right into the kill zone, but decided to lay down 30 yards from me. He was within range but 1 stinking branch was in my shooting lane, all he had to do was walk 5 more yards, but I guess he was tired. He hung out for 10min then the wind swirled and got him on his feet and strolled back towards the pond.
    I’m in the actual right spot watching the transition area and on a shelf. It’s happening tomorrow afternoon.
    He was right there, right under the tree I setup in last weekend. Right behind that stupid little tree branch.
    E0484941-808E-4EB4-A0A4-3CA927AE68C4.jpeg

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well back at the same stand I saw all those does from that last hunt. Kicking myself for not killing a doe that night waiting on a buck.
    Tonight I’m split what I’ll do, if I early I may let a slick head have it and finish hunt waiting.

calm winds I hate so of course very calm winds.

best of luck everyone, sounds like we all are amping up and gonna be laying down some deer. Fingers crossed we all get a slick and then get lucky on some bucks!!

Don’t forget two pics!!

MIHOYT89 and LittleChief like this.
  15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Ty.

I’m sitting in an oak flat I found here in Wattensaw WMA. I usually hunt about 150 yards from here and I’ve seen a lot of deer come from here and go here but I never went to look at it until today.

Tons of acorns on the ground as well as a lot of deer droppings.

MIHOYT89 and tynimiller like this.
  16. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No luck this evening, was hoping that buck would do exactly what he did yesterday. Saw a little spike and a doe that had somewhere important to be as she was booking it across the woods.
    Soccer tournament tomorrow morning, cut grass at the farm, then soccer party in the evening. I’m planning on being out Sunday morning as long as the chance of storms isn’t terrible.

LittleChief likes this.
  17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    No shots tonight and no bucks and only mature doe that came out wasn’t happy with dead winds at all…never let herself or two youngings get close.

I’ll be somewhere tomorrow afternoon, not sure of where or if it will be doe patrol or buck only.

LittleChief likes this.
  18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I’m heading to my dads new place this afternoon. He tried hunting there last Saturday mid morning to evening but flooded too bad - went on to shoot that buck elsewhere then.

I got hip waders ready if needed but if it is flooded decently I may be buck only tonight so worth it but we will make that call when there. Other spot I’m thinking of is my place we haven’t touched this year as I have been avoiding it due to avoiding being pissed about the trespassing and cams stolen in September there.

Probably make the call when I start packing up truck later honestly

ash d likes this.
  19. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So my art work is not that great. I hit jut a little lower and forward than the dot bin the pic. I’m thinking liver but I didn’t get much blood. Some drops here and there and the deer was heading towards a small creek so I left. I’m going to let him lay over night and go back tomorrow around 1030. This crappy season just keeps getting better for me. Hopefully I’ll have good news in the morning as my son and I will be looking for the body. It’s supposed to be pretty cool here tonight. Funky racked deer that’s what I liked about him. I pretty sure it’s an 8 but could be a 6. BD5EBC28-D350-4D3E-B988-11FA3758A428.jpeg

20. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How was he standing when you shot him? Broadside, quartering?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk