The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It’s raining here and the rain is supposed to continue through mid-day Sunday.

I’m trying to decide on whether to go to Kentucky or Arkansas Sunday to hunt the new moon or just stay here.

If I had to decide right now I’d stay home but that’s just because I’m tired.

Kentucky would give me my best chance at a buck, but Arkansas would be a lot more fun.

2. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tough choices Littlechief. I’d vote for Kentucky just to see if that buck you hit is still running around.

LittleChief likes this.
  3. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got my second jab yesterday, I’m in some pain but it feels better to be moving. I might head to the woods and see how that goes. It’s damn hot but it’ll be the only time I have this weekend to hunt. I at least need to move some sticks 60 yards north, I’ll keep you guys updated.

LittleChief likes this.
  4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Actually the buck I hit was in NW Missouri. Can’t go back there right now.

5. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    F it, I’m going. I feel worse laying on my ass on the couch

ash d and LittleChief like this.
  6. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I’m actually considering going out this evening although sitting in this recliner feels pretty good after the last few days.

It depends on the hourly forecast though. It’s not raining now but the rain chance is 100% at 7:00 pm. If it stays that way I won’t go.

S.McArthur likes this.
  7. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    No luck tonight, saw a couple does but they started blowing across the field, not sure what had them all fired up, but they took off.
    I felt good until about 1745, then the rona shot aches and sickness came back full force. I stuck it out until dark but I don’t know what I’d of done had a take a deer. I’m going to take some Motrin and hit the rack.
    I’m out of the woods until Sunday, I left my sticks up for an am hunt in that tree. It’s good spot, just might not have been for this evening.

ash d and LittleChief like this.
  8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I didn’t bother going out and it was a good call. It started raining at about 6:30 and hasn’t stopped.

I think I’m going to head to Arkansas Sunday for three or four days.

I could use some hunting time with fun friends for a change since I almost always hunt alone.

The bucks can wait until later.

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man was nice to get up a tree with all the crap that’s happened.
    Could have shot a button but elected not to. Quick camera check that had soaked since early August and lord have mercy there are some studs at that place. Been down last few years at that place that used to have STUDS.
    Probably two would break 150 or better with two others I’d shoot that would be 130 or more I’d assume.

It’s a tough farm to get in for morning hunts with all beans compared to corn years and of course biggest bucks killable in morning within last week…zero chance to force a morning hunt this soon as no way of knowing where they will be…sometime may try it but gonna wait for now.

10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I’m glad to hear that you got out Ty. It sounds like you really needed it.

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    100% did, I’ve dealt with crap in the outdoors part of life but this year it is for sure stealing some of the “escape” nature of it. Was really good to breathe in air up a tree and restoke the fire if you will that was running low.

Oldcarp likes this.
  12. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally going to get out this evening! Although conditions are not ideal and I can’t make up my mind about where to go I’m getting out and I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

ash d and Oldcarp like this.
  13. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great to see most of the team out hunting! Just two morning bow hunts for me so far. I saw nothing. When we had cooler temps a week ago, had a cold with a little cough, figured just be a waste of time bow hunting. Coughs gone and north wind today where I can hunt a food plot. Plot has big pasture on one side and corn on three sides. Deer must be tired of the corn they come to the winter rye and brassicas early in the afternoon. I'll have to hide in the corn on the ground. I'll take the crossbow and try to get 50 points this afternoon.

Good luck to rest of the team hunting.

ash d, Oldcarp and MIHOYT89 like this.
  14. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good to see everybody hunting. It was the youth duck hunt yesterday. We took out my granddaughter and Niece. Put it this way it was not the ducks fault we did not get any. We had a ball and they were real troopers.
    Tomorrow I go help my son-in-law with his mountain goat hunt. I will be honest this will be one of the hardest physical demanding hunts I have done. We will be anywhere from 11,000 to 12,000 feet. It is 4-5 mile hike in. The country is beautiful but very rugged. I will try to get pictures and hopefully one with a goat in it

ash d, farmer rick and tynimiller like this.
  15. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I told you that I’m not at all jealous I’d be lying! Good luck on a hunt if a lifetime! I think I’m speaking for the entire team when I say please take plenty of pictures to share with us.

ash d and tynimiller like this.
  16. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I came about as close to killing one as you can without killing one tonight. He’s a gorgeous heavy 8 that might be mid 130s. He came to about 40 yards but it got dark quick. Yes f I have the same wind tomorrow there’s a deadfall 80 yards west and about 20 yards off the trail that he came in on that I might try to get in and surprise him. I think I know exactly where he came from but it’s a brand new property so w shall see what tomorrow brings!

ash d, farmer rick and tynimiller like this.
  17. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It’s nights like tonight that make us come back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmer rick and MIHOYT89 like this.
  18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    So little bit of intel was gathered by Pops. There is a thirty acre or so riverbottom property we have permission on that is essentially a large oak flat top that the majority of the northern side of is STEEP (30-70 feet type) that deer cannot use except in extreme emergencies and even than doubtful. On the west side they use to use one of two entrance/exits out of the bottom, but last year that chunk sold and an amish family put in home and fenced area right up to the woods which eliminated the deer's desire to use the trails.

The East side however still has two main spots they can and do come and go from the bottoms. We hung one stand on the a tree which allows us to shoot to the bottom trail that runs right along the hillside (location is where it bends from east/west/ to north south) and also has a cut out where the deer lead out or into the bottom. Pops said that trail is DIRT right now and he jumped two deer right down that trail yesterday around 3PM checking cams in the rain (cams programed wrong so no help to know what is there). The only issue is entrance to this spot is nearly impossible except for evening hunts and you have to hope the deer retreated off the top where all the acorns are to the bottom.

That is a spot I plan on hitting here very soon and is a location I'll probably be willing to shoot a doe if given chance.

ash d, farmer rick and S.McArthur like this.
  19. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Not much to update over the weekend. Hunted Friday p.m., wedding soccer & wedding Saturday, woke up at 4a Sunday, did the door check, it was was really wet and humid so I went back to bed, good thing though, it started down pouring all morning. Birthday lunch for wife and her brother then playground time for our son. By the time I got home there was no time to get out to the woods.
    My wife/son is going to visit a friend next weekend leaving Wednesday, so I'll have plenty of time to hit the woods and take care of some pre-fall/fall chores. The good news is the temps look like they are suppose to drop some, I'm ready to get some quality time in the woods, I feel like I've been fitting hunting into whatever small sliver of time I have.

20. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My hunt was a bust, just one fawn right at quitting time.

Most years I find a way to mess up a hunt, hopefully I got my mess up done for this year. I went coyote hunting a couple mornings ago. Instead of taking shotgun or ar 223 took 22 mag. It's accurate and semi auto. Coyote came running into decoy, put gun up to shoot and find the scope is all fogged up. Kind of funny me trying to wipe my scope and him running right to the decoy. he left fast when he got by it. I never could see to shoot.

ash d likes this.