The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only a month and a half and we open up here in Wisconsin, and I decided to change up my sight and arrows. Don't know if that was wise, but time to start shooting lol.

ash d, S.McArthur and LittleChief like this.
  2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just switched up my rest and bow shop buddy is installing presently - food plots are set to get in over the next two to three weeks time and weather wise.

3. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at switching up broadheads possibly this year. Have been shooting Ramcats or the past 8 years, but always looking to switch it up. What are you guys all shooting this year?

LittleChief likes this.
  4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have my old reliable Slick Trick 125 Magnums set up on my 60# Heli-m.

On the 65# V3 I’m going to start out with Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials. I’ve always wanted to try them and even though Bowhunter64 seems to think they’re inferior I’m going to try them anyway.

If I have any trouble with them, which I don’t anticipate, I will probably just go with Slick Tricks out of it also.

5. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using the Muzzy Trocar HB the past 3 years; two fixed and mechanical blades. They fly straight, make good holes, and have left me satisfied enough not to think about new heads. I will not use them on turkey, they do not seem to penetrate feather well, I use the MX3 for turkey.
    I had been debating about trying a new head from NAP, but then I'd have to re-sight/tape the HHA sight, and it's quite annoying to do that.

***Edit: They only come in 100grain, that's the only downfall.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    LittleChief likes this.
  6. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    You can’t get them in the same weight as the ones you’re shooting now?

7. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, but then I can't justify buying new stuff for my bow. I've never dabbled in arrow weight, but I may bump it up some. I'm still doing research on that part.

LittleChief likes this.
  8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Ah, I see. I’m a big fan of heavier arrows. Not insanely heavy, but heavy enough to carry a good deal more momentum and absorb more energy from the bow that would otherwise manifest itself as noise on the shot.

9. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Using rough math based on the website for the arrow, I should have a 299oz bare arrow (10.7gpi@28"), 25gr nock+insert, 100gr broadhead for 424, I'd like to get closer to 500.

10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    What is your draw weight and what is your arrow spine?

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Broadhead I switched from my Slick Trick Magnums to about 3 years ago is the Grizzlystik 200grain Samurai's. If I didn't run steel outserts I'd have probably went with their 315grain Ashby head which is essentially exact same design but one forged piece and slightly longer, causing slightly lower edge angle. The heads have taught me the art of sharpening, and also exactly how sharp heads should be vs what many accept as sharp (even most manufacturers) are two grossly different things.

cantexian and LittleChief like this.
  12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Because I know minds probably will ask; total arrow build for me is 604grains, run steel outserts on my Black Eagle Deep Impacts with blazer veins.

LittleChief likes this.
  13. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Easton axis 5mm 300: 10.7gpi/Spine .0300. They are cut 27.5". Bow should be 70lbs, but I may turn it down to 65/60.

14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    With that spine you could just change to a 50 grain insert for 474 grains total or a 100 grain insert for 524 grains total weight and really increase your FOC %.

I shoot 300 spine Gold Tip Hunter Pros out of both bows.

My 60# Heli-m arrows have a 100 grain insert with 125 grain heads. 530 grains total weight.

My 65# V3 arrows have a 50 grain insert with 100 grain heads. 450 grains total weight.

S.McArthur likes this.
  15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Littlechief is right, your set up could easily add upfront went - upping the FOC, total weight which in turn will increase arrow stabilization time in flight and increase momentum.

I know many folks think I'm nuts for having wanted to get above 600grains...and many will say I shoot overkill arrows - but I strongly encourage zero people to hunt with less than 450 grains of total arrow weight - and strongly say hit 500 minimum. Most folks I've walked through shooting about 3-5 different arrow set ups have almost always felt their bow shoots better and more efficiently one of the heaviest set ups. I wouldn't personally change anything now, but next Spring shoot as many different builds as you can afford to do...much of the cost can be just in inserts/outserts and various head weights or even insert weights screwed in and out - using your current arrows so long as spine isn't close to being too weak already.

S.McArthur, Mudlake3 and LittleChief like this.
  16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I have to correct myself. I forgot that the arrows I shoot out of my Heli-m are Gold Tip Velocity Pros. It’s a bit lighter shaft. That’s why they’re 530 grains and not 550+.

17. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nap Spitfire Max. Was using rage before that but did not like the collar system.

LittleChief likes this.
  18. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve always stayed away from Rage, but this year I ALMOST went with the new no collar version they came out with recently.

19. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have finally started doing some things to prepare for the upcoming season. I have learned that my free time quickly fades away when another child comes along. Our 2nd daughter was born 6/29, so life has been crazy with a 2 year old and new born.
    I was able to get out and shoot some this past week, it was the first time since March. I built some new arrows along the way, went with a high FOC heavy set up. 660grains, 300grains up from between broadhead and insert and got them flying really well out the bow.
    Hoping to get out in another week or so to hang some cameras on the farm I hunt as well as check out some public land that is nearby.

20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received: