The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel bad. I had to cut my hunt short out in Kansas or I would have a doe also.

2. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I’m still here. I got home Thursday evening from working on the road. It’s been a very long weekend so far, I have dealt with 2 deaths that hit very close to home, a best friend that just turned 31 in august and a grandpa. Idk how much I will be on here in the next week but I wanted to let you guys know that I haven’t went anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Oldcarp and fletch920 like this.
  3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man this team is blessed in the deer department but feel like my prayer list is growing insane. My heart and prayers go out to you brother.

In a very less important topic, I have taken off some days hunting wise as dad chases bucks on my place. Once I garner permission back on the places we lose in gun I'll be back at it attempting to down a doe or second buck with a bow.

farmer rick, ash d and fletch920 like this.
  4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I’m so sorry Mitch. I know from experience what you’re going through with both losses and you have my heartfelt condolences.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  5. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mitch sorry about your friend and grandpa. Gees 31 is young.

6. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:

7. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last evening I had a first, and hopefully last. I was set up on some scrapes and a big cedar rub in a travel corridor because rut is winding down and the bucks are back to traveling and seeking. I had one of my target bucks come hit the rub about 50 yards away and I used the can call to get him to come in. He came on a string. He hit 25 yards facing me and as he went behind two big trees, I drew. He stopped at the same moment because he could now see the draw I was in and he was looking for the doe. I held for as long as I possibly could, and he did not budge. I finally had to let down and was able to do just that. Just as soon as I let the bow back down, I saw his tail twitch and I knew he was bout to move again, so I instantly came back to full draw, he walked into my lane at 18 yards broadside and I stopped him perfectly with a "mehh". I settled the pin just behind his shoulder and hit the release. Well, what I saw was pieces of my nock flying and the arrow went sideways out of the bow. Apparently, when I let the bow back down, I had bumped the nock or the string had pinched it part way off the string. He was a 9 pt that would go mid 150's. The good news is, he was the smallest of 4 bucks that I am hunting and maybe now I will get a chance at the 180's class buck I was really hoping for. But, I was going to be thrilled to take him. Sorry for the rookie mistake, I always check my arrow after letting down, but it happened so fast I was not able to get that far. A doe is not going to be a problem, I am passing them every sit, but do not want to mess up my good buck spots yet.

I stopped at a friends house on the way home to have a beer and tell my sob story. While there, his son got a call that there was a bad auto accident on the edge of town and two of our high-school kids were killed and a third was flown to Des Moines in very bad shape. The truck they hit also had a passenger airlifted right from the highway. I VERY QUICKLY quit feeling sorry for myself. That really puts this fragile trip around the sun into perspective.

I know Mitch and others on our team are dealing with loss and it certainly does make you appreciate the time spent in the woods and with friends and family. Remember what is most important in your life and focus a little more energy in that direction. Carpe diem.

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Man @fletch920 such a tragic accident, not that any involving death are not. Will be sure to lift those families impacted in prayer.

As for the nock story, been there but when I drew back a second time the arrow came off.....I was so mad. Luckily it was a doe I had drawn back on so my gut punch was slightly easier to absorb than what you did. All in due time, you'll get a crack at him or one of the others I'm sure.

fletch920 likes this.
  9. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts are with you Hoyt, take your time, the deer will still be here when you are ready.

----Break Break Break---
    Personal Update: THIS SUCKS!!!
    Now that my whining is over, cold snap is coming, hopefully that will get these stinking deer moving during daylight. I pulled into my spot Saturday morning at 0430 and the big 12 is laying the wood to a doe, right by the dang road. He didn't care at all and I could have given him a high five I was so close. That was the first time I've actually seen a buck mount a doe, wish it was at 30 yards in daylight, but still cool.
    I got access to a 200 acre farm in Cadiz KY, I haven't bought a KY license, but I may have too, he has been sending me pictures of some big bucks and told me to lay waste to all the doe I want. That's another $350(+/-) I'd have to shell out, I may save that farm for next season and forgo an Illinois license, plus its only 45/1hr rather than 2 hours to Illinois.
    I finally got a day pic of the 12point, but nothing that will "pattern" him, I also only have 1 camera out, so I am not covering anything very well. I may just dump my chips on that transition spot from the woods to the field and hope I'm there when he makes another appearance. The tree I want to be in is too big for the LW straps, it's the only tree with a little bit of cover, everything else is bare and wide open, I'd have to be very still...not easy for me. I think I have enough screw in steps to make something happen though, I'll have to check what I have in my bin, worst case I can get up enough where the tree thins some and I can use my sticks.
    I'm still at it, still a buck/doe tag for Illinois, and one buck tag for TN..I can take 3 doe a day in TN, but I have to actually see them first. It's been a funky year, I'm used to seeing 7-15 deer a sit, now I may see a doe or little buck at daylight or dark.

Oldcarp, ash d and LittleChief like this.
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Cadiz? You'd be hunting not far from where I hunt there.

The deer are crazy thick there and if they're as stupid as the farm deer I hunt around Farmington you can fill your freezer in no time.

11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I'm back home after a short trip to Kentucky. I had a buck tag that I wanted to punch as well as two more tags.

That was a very entertaining and exciting trip. Sunday afternoon I sat in a hickory tree about 15 yards from my brother's old box blind. I saw a few deer, but nothing I wanted to shoot. At least, not that I could see on one of them. I rattled in a deer from way out in the field, but by the time he got to me it was too dark to see if he was a decent buck.

Monday morning I sat the same stand and saw one deer, again before I could see what it was.

Monday afternoon I took the farmer's son up on his offer to hunt his home 40 acres. I drove over after I got down and we drove around the property. I found a great spot with great sign, so I went back to my brother's house, ate and went straight back out to try to take advantage of the midday major movement period.

I wasn't disappointed.

Around 12:30 I heard crashing heading my way. I looked left and here comes a doe being chased by a huge buck. I raised my 45-70 and got the scope on him. I was about to pull the trigger when I noticed that his right side was broken off. I let him walk, but in hindsight I should have just shot him.

Behind him was a 6 point that was about 17" inside spread, but I passed on him also. I ended up seeing four bucks and around 15 does that afternoon.

This morning I parked by the pond on the property and made the 1/4 mile walk through a cut bean field to my stand. I got set up 45 minutes before first light. Right at first light I saw a deer in the field. I glassed it and it was a nice buck. I tried calling him in but he was having none of it. About 15 minutes later does started filtering from the east to the bedding area to the west.

I was planning to shoot one of them, but before I could get a good shot I caught movement to my south and here comes a buck dogging a doe. They close to 60 yards, but the cover is too thick. Then they head away from me and I think it's over, but then she leads him back to me. She trotted by and so does he. I tried to stop him at 30 yards but he didn't stop, so I put the crosshairs just in front of his front leg and touched the trigger. He mule kicked and trotted out to about 30 yards and stood there.

Since I wasn't sure of the shot, I settled the crosshairs on him and shot him again. He dropped in his tracks.

A couple minutes later what I thought was the doe comes by at 40 yards. She stops and I hammer her also. She made it out of sight and I started packing up. I climbed down, went and looked at the buck and then went to find the doe. When I found her, the first thing I saw as I walked up was testicles! I was thinking "What?!!"

I quickly grabbed the head and raised it up. It was a yearling buck with both antlers broken off at the base. It was a bit of a bummer, but the farmer didn't care at all. He just wants the "bean eaters", as they refer to them, killed.

The buck wasn't anything special. He was an 8 point with his right brow tine broken off and about 6" of the left beam broken off. Oh well. Like I said, in hindsight I should have shot the half-rack giant. He was a STUD!

Pics, such as they are, are posted in the LFTS thread.

12. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate all of the kind words guys, it has definitely been a very rough few days. Everyone impacted is getting by and supporting each other in anyway we can.

I am going to be out in a stand hopefully this evening, but if not I will be out both Thursday and Friday. I need some tree stand therapy in my life!

It sounds like everyone is still hunting hard trying to seal the deal, keep at it guys!

Chief congrats on another successful Kentucky trip, I’m thinking I might to start looking for a farm down there, I love a good target rich environment!

Good luck guys

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    He said they are dumb, kill as many as I want, even sit over the feeder if I want...crazy, I don't think I'd know what to do if it was that easy.

LittleChief likes this.
  14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Easy... Kill deer. :lol:

15. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I may have to just spend the $350 and give it try, maybe I'll get up there Friday..stay tuned

fletch920 and LittleChief like this.
  16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    The sooner the better. I can tell you that the rut is on in that area.

17. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It has been non-stop rain here for three days now. Three days that I was planning on being in the tree. Pretty disappointing. I may get a chance tomorrow and Friday morning, and then I fly to Nevada for 5 days of golf. But, I will have a couple of days when I get back to slip out and then it will be gun season. Next opportunity will be when archery opens back up for late split. My properties usually pick up a few good bucks when the gun pressure starts. I actually like the late season hunting because the deer are usually on a pretty predictable feeding pattern. Don't count me out.

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  18. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So sorry for your loss man!!! Never something you want to hear. Prayers for you and your family!

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well heard today from the one landowner that his grandson has only went twice since gun opened the 14th and he hasn't went at all. VERY fair weather hunters. That place still changes immensely come post gun as it is loaded with hunters all over and his grandson's approach is to not set still more than 10 minutes and then walk EVERYWHERE and they don't even know what the wind is when they hunt.

Still tho, if plots have any food left ill probably target a doe there as soon as we are let back on....typically post Thanksgiving.

As for my place and Pops, he has continued to past some 2 year olds and one 8 we actually think is 3 but he has learned that place has some bigger shooters and has grown more patient last few years lol.

I may hunt my place hard for second buck if Pops decides he wants to go after does and we will switch property focus.

Hope all is well and waiting on you Iowa men to shine here soon!!!

LittleChief, Oldcarp and fletch920 like this.
  20. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hit it hard after Turkey day and saw only a opossum.
    Trying again on a different property Tuesday night.
    Wife is heaed out of town the 10th of December and the temps are forecasted to be in the mid 40's.
    Mice will play with wife away.

21. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    My deer hunt may be over but the ducks and Fish are cooperating.
    Keep the stories coming.

Attached Files: