The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No, the new processor we decided to try is clear in another county over East of us and his son does a Euro mounting business, while there I was eh I'll give him a try. Needless to say most days I'm not hunting and work late already (problem with being in management) the wife is ready for reinforcements at home with the two year old BEAST son we have LOL That hour one way, ask to score it somewhere on site, and then an hour back - only to have to do it again when the skull is done seems just not needed sadly. LOL

He said it'd be done before Christmas. That week before Christmas if it isn't done I'll call and make a point to go measure it regardless of the wasted time.

2. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Zach you guys tape that thing? Looks just slightly smaller than mine width wise but quite similar otherwise...I've long said I don't see mine being outside 115-125 this year as he just wasn't blessed with much in the antler department.

3. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    haha this is awesome!

4. Team Haastyle

Dislikes Received:
    I have not thrown a tape on it yet. Just got done cutting the rack and meat off last night haha. I tried to get the wife to do a Euro, but like most wives she is not a fan of a skull haha.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Nice....yeah my wife hates my mounts and doesn't allow them on our main level anywhere....but truly despises the Euro mounts.

Team Haastyle likes this.
  6. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I’m actually not a big fan of real euro mounts and my wife isn’t either. I just buy the Mountain Mike’s plastic skull kit and mount the cut off antlers. Very clean and it sort of removes the actual dead animal skull from the home decor.

It’s a bit of a pain getting the bases sanded to where the inside spread and balance are the same as they were on the animal, but the wife doesn’t object and I actually like them better.

No, I don’t have any giants. The biggest is only 136” (the one on the bottom).
    upload_2021-12-1_7-44-42.jpeg

7. Team Haastyle

Dislikes Received:
    How's everyone's season looking to wind up? I have one doe tag left I am looking to punch with the bow late season. Other than that I am heading up to my northern Wisconsin piece to face off against the 8 year old ghost I've been hunting. He broke his G3 so most likely pulled him out of the 180 category, but I guess 170's would do :biggrin:. Hoping to connect, but that ol' guy definitely knows the game.

ash d, Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Here’s hoping he slips up and you get a shot at him.

It’s way too early for me to be thinking of how my season will end. Bow season in Arkansas doesn’t end until the end of February.

I’ll be hunting here on my place through the 9th. On the 11th I’ll be taking the travel trailer to Kentucky for a week or so. It’s a 9 day muzzleloader season, but I’m planning to stick with the bow until I kill a buck.

Missouri has a muzzleloader season from Christmas Day through January 4th. My brother wants to come up and hunt since he didn’t get a deer during gun season so I’ll hunt here then.

After that I’ll be hunting in Arkansas. Believe it or not I’ve seen a lot of buck activity there in January.

Team Haastyle, ash d and Oldcarp like this.
  9. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haastyle and LittleChief good luck to you both.
    I got a late season cow elk tag I’m trying to fill. We have very little snow and most the roads are closed on December 1st. I just tell people I’m taking my gun for a hike. I do enjoy being up on the mountain.

Team Haastyle, ash d and LittleChief like this.
  10. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I still have a buck and doe tag. I will be taking the crossbow with me and my rifle for the finish of gun season since I used my buck tag already for firearms. I’ll be out late season to try to connect on something for some points.

11. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Farmer cut the top field a few weeks ago, but has not cut the lower field. I may have a great late season food source if he doesn't cut it at all, he did that a few years ago when the creek over flowed and left debris. We have had a few pretty good "floods" this year, so maybe it'll stay.
    My tree guy whose dad owns property butting up against mine said there is a monster still walking around. I have gun hunter competition across the creek and they hunt a lot, so hopefully they keep pressure on them and they stay on my side of the creek. I have not been out since I got that buck, I'd like to take 1-2 more deer (preferably doe), to stock the freezer, but if a monster walks by, he'll get stuck. Not sure how much more time I'll get, we have all sorts of family Christmas events and my sons birthday next weekend.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Sad my golden stand at my place this morning. Needs east winds. Didn’t expect anything with all the disturbances that property has been hit by this fall….and Zilch.

pulled a card on edge of my place and November 2nd another construction worker trespassed down by the big sign I have there and strolled around a bit.
    I swear I’m done with people and that place has been crazy this year

13. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    So......

I sat this evening and saw the first deer I've seen since my miss a few days ago. They came running down the hill from the neighbor's property about 20 minutes before dark. They locked up at 65 yards and started feeding. They fed and they fed and they fed, right up until legal light ended.

Then it was like the lead doe said "It's okay, we're safe now. Come on." On cue they trotted to 45 yards and started feeding. I waited, hoping they would feed on and let me get down.

Thirty minutes later I could hear that they were still there, so I got my laser pointer out of my pack and flashed it around until finally the lead doe had enough of the weird flashy thing and walked away. The rest followed. I managed to climb down about 50 minutes after dark.

I'm thinking I may be finished hunting here at home for a while. I found a new spot on the neighbor's 14 acres I have permission to hunt that looks good and has good sign, but to be honest I'm getting a little burned out and I need a break. Of course, here in a day or two I may start itching to get back out, but if I were smart I'd take some down time before the trip to Kentucky. No one has ever accused me of being smart when it comes to hunting though.

Quitting just isn't in my nature.

MIHOYT89, cantexian, ash d and 2 others like this.
  14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I decided today gonna pick bow back up most likely till just crazy cold temps come to get another doe or even buck down at my place. I’m just not a gun hunter at heart and will hopefully encourage rest of team still chasing tags to grind it out like @LittleChief is doing too.
    Season has kinda burned me out from all the crap that’s happened but still more peace is found up a tree with a bow and that’s what I’m chasing.

LittleChief, farmer rick and ash d like this.
  15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said, I just can’t quit. I slept in two mornings and took an afternoon off and I couldn’t stand it.

Im back on a tree. I gambled and moved to a tree within bow range of where those deer I saw last were feeding.

If they come from the other direction they’ll most likely come within range.

The wind is iffy so my Ozonics is running on boost and of course the only tree in a good location is a gnarly, knotty, hard barked old oak that reminds me of climbing a hickory, but I’m 20 feet up and as well concealed as one can be this time of year.

I brought my old ScentBlocker Dream Season Pro fleece suit out of retirement. It’s Mossy Oak Treestand and in my opinion that pattern in fleece conceals better than any other this time of year.

We will see if anything moves after the storms last night and the blustery day today.

Oldcarp and tynimiller like this.
  16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck!!

LittleChief likes this.
  17. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. It’s been a while since I killed a deer but I won’t shoot a fawn or a little buck. The word little there means something different to me than some of you. I mean a spike , fork horn or something like that. Since my Kentucky trip is close I might even let one of the basket rack 8 points walk if one shows up. I doubt it though.

This pretty much sums up how I feel:
    upload_2021-12-6_15-12-18.jpeg

18. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    This morning's sit was pretty much uneventful. I say pretty much because just after I got set up a half hour before first light a buck of some kind was running deer around me. Of course, by daylight they were gone so the only thing I saw was squirrels.

I'll be heading back out around 3:00. I'm going to sit this afternoon and tomorrow morning and then I'll start the loading and prepping gear for the Kentucky trip.

The wife and I did go and pay our personal property taxes today. I know folks in some states have it worse, but it infuriates me having to pay a bunch of money every year just for the privilege of owning the things I purchased with income I paid taxes on and then paid sales tax on when I bought them.

Benjamin Franklin sure nailed it when he said that in this life only two things are certain: Death and Taxes. And then there's that Will Rogers quote: "the only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time congress meets".

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Call it intuition or the whiskey talking but I feel something or multiple things are going to fall to this team's arrows this week.

LET IT BE SO!!!!

(may it be to those that can provide points...and me as well)

MIHOYT89, ash d and LittleChief like this.
  20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, okay. Don't be so pushy. :lol:
    [​IMG]