The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy fellas, not much hunting related info to report, it's bee super wet so I haven't went out to grab my stands. I always like to get out after the season an wander to see what I've missed, plus half scout for the new season. The little 22 acers adjoining the spot hunt has not sold, no surprise seeing as they want 18K/acre. I may try and reach out to the owner/estate (owner was really old, may have passed) and see if I can work a deal this summer. Have to let it sit a while. The property does not have any good house sites, the cleared spot is basically a water run-off, trash woods with junk cars etc. At $18k/acre, then to clear land, build a long driveway, then a house in this market would be almost $800k+.

Also, my wife passed all her real estate exams and wrote her first buyers contract, her and her mother are working together for now, so they'll split commission, but she's finally making some coin. Sooooooo......150 acres should be within sight, right?

2. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WOW!!! 18K/acre is crazy!!! Here we complain up here when it gets to 5-6k/acre. Like my grandpa always told me... land is the best investment. If that ain't the truth. I'm working on a 40 acre parcel that butts up to my acreage up north, but the one I am buying it from is my uncle and he thinks it is worth gold even though our property already landlocks it.

3. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    God is showing the deer where my stand is located

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleChief and Oldcarp like this.
  4. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My birthday was earlier in the month and my sons was yesterday

LittleChief likes this.
  5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well got the call today, another property lost - they had to sell the rest of the riverbottom piece my pops shot his big eight off this year due to the grandmother (owner of land technically) being in a dementia special facility and bills mounting. Completely understand it, just sucks as we lost another piece.

Oldcarp likes this.
  6. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry Ty that does suck.
    With the family farm getting sold last November. I should say my wife’s family. We found out some information that was beneficial for us. Her aunt and uncle still have 20 acres around their house. And right next to the property there is a little water structure that is a couple acres of state owned land that is opened to hunting. The family farm use to surrounded it and we always thought it was part of the farm. I have to give credit to my wife’s aunt and cousin. They went and looked up and talked to the county and state to find out exactly the boundaries and what our options were.

7. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Damn Ty
    The sick feeling in the stomach from having my equipment stolen ain’t nothing compared to kick to the balls you experienced by losing a hunting spot.
    If ever here in Nebraska I certainly will share stands, room & board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIHOYT89 and Oldcarp like this.
  8. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good news! Fletch is promising deer next year with his crossbow. I’m pumped already.

Oldcarp likes this.
  9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He's a jerk. He promised us a doe last season and could not even do that!
    promises.jpg

Oldcarp and MIHOYT89 like this.
  10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    He's like my Packers and Aaron Rodgers.....such promise and high expectations but never delivers lately....sigh....

11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    You sound like my wife.

tynimiller likes this.
  12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a **** day at work and this managed a smile, appreciate that! LOL

ash d, fletch920 and Oldcarp like this.
  14. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Well, at least I put a smile on somebody's face.

tynimiller likes this.
  15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well minor update, as I shared the other day lost another property....triggered me into dragging out my stacks of properties within my county which I've had catch my eye both small (one is 5 acres of a bottom) clear to a few larger farms I'm going to do my approach to garnering permission; first a letter sent that is more of a "get to know" me and the type of hunter and man I am with a request to discuss any type of deer hunting permission they would be agreeable to or consider (self addressed envelope is included if they prefer to not call or email me, divulging contact information is a concern for some)....I say in the letter if I'm out there way please don't take a knock on the door as intrusive (include description of truck)....I've had quite good luck with folks responding to my inquiries over the years - you don't get many yeses BUT I constantly get commended on my approach and a few have even told me to please circle back to them yearly to see if their hunter situation has changed and no one is hunting any longer - which reminds me I also need to send them emails like normal.

Fingers crossed something comes of them, but not counting on it much, however you never know and you gotta swing.

I've still yet to go out to my property for post season work yet, I think I'm sub-consciously avoiding it as nearly every time out there I find more pictures of trespassers or left behind sign of it....however I'm hoping that all will subside some more as the building to the north will blockade their main northern open route to mine, and few days with a chainsaw should help the southern entrance which are two of the normal three entrance/exit routes there are.

A quieter year out there should pay dividends in a more normal activity year and hopefully a more normal mature buck year as well. If I go this weekend to frost seed, possibly shove some miscanthus/trees in the ground should they come as well I'll share anything I find.

16. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck I hope something comes your way

farmer rick likes this.
  17. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Ty. Hope you get some good spots to hunt.

18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Something good will come of it Ty. It may not be immediate, but it will come.

tynimiller likes this.
  19. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    As it turned out I never did go back to Arkansas to hunt. I guess I was just plain hunted out. A part of me wanted to go but I just couldn’t get motivated enough.

I’ve been taking it easy for the last couple of weeks but I’m gearing up for my first bass fishing trip of the year.

I haven’t fished since July last year when a tire on my boat trailer blew out. I just never got around to getting another tire last year.

My wife and I are heading to Bass Pro Shop in Springfield, MO this morning to pick up two new radial tires on new wheels to put in the boat and then tomorrow I’m heading to Tennessee for four days of bass fishing with my youngest daughter and my son in law.

It will be good to see my baby girl again, especially since she just told me two days ago that she’s pregnant with her first baby.

Yep, it looks like grandchild #14 is on the way.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    DANG that is awesome, and a ton of blessings!

LittleChief likes this.