The OFFICIAL thread for PUBLIC LAND hunting.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Once again, I'll be almost exclusively on public land this season. I killed 2 does and a yote last season, then killed my buck on private (probably never get invited back!), but I did see a 10 point stud and a really nice 8 pointer on the public side. They live in one of nastiest thickets you can imagine.

I have late season trail cam pics of them when they crossed onto my private little slice and came to a feeder (and confirmation they survived the season). My pops saw the big 10 two weeks ago, near the public thicket.. I currently have 2 cams with mineral blocks in that public area, hoping to get some fresh pics soon. I'll be hunting them hard this season...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jeepr07

jeepr07 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be hunting some town forests in southern nh. My question is, if the town forest butts up against a farm or orchard, should I contact the owners about the possibility of a shot deer going onto their property?
    This will be my first year bow hunting down here, so any advice is appreciated. I usually hunt up in the maine northwoods with a rifle.
    thanks

3. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would contact them just to be safe

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely contact them prior to hunting season. Their response may make a difference as to how close you hunt to their property. If they give you the thumbs up it will open up possibilities for sure. Good luck.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last years November weather was horrible. The deer movement on the public land suffered as a result. Man I hope I can wake up to some 25 degree morning this November!

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I miss being a kid in the 80's. I remember bone chilling Novembers in the stand.

7. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Love the idea of this thread!! Ive been hunting public land in Central PA my whole life, ive been getting spoiled being down in NC at school and hunting private land. Ive been doing a lot of scouting with my dad this year in PA Found an absolutely amazing spot the trail is worn down to the mud, only about 75 yards from the parking lot at a state game land. In 3 weeks without any attractant infront i got 38 videos of deer coming through. This is our big hitlist buck for this year ATTACH=CONFIG]68729[/ATTACH] Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 8.32.14 PM.jpg

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No truer words have been spoken! I hope we don't get a repeat as well.

9. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just checked my Ohio public land cams yesterday and hung two stands, got covered in poison ivy. Second time this year, hah. Long sleeves pants and glove and still managed its way through, hopefully it pays off!

10. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have public land right next to my family privately owned property in E. TX. Davy Crockett National, a big portion of this, set between my family farm home and the major portion of our private land. I hunted there 3yrs ago, missed a opportunity to harvest a 8pt (got busted) and a nice mature(missed shot) doe at 15yds. I scouted briefly last year during off season, an area close to the farm house that has a high traffic trail used to cross the 100acres on the home front. I may try to setup a blind/stand near this trail this year. Good luck to the public land hunters! :bhod:

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You need the Graff kevlar sleeves.

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Oct 1 I will begin my public land odyssey. Time to get to killing.

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only have to wait until Sept 17th! My WMU is generous because there's so much private land where deer aren't hunted, or not hunted enough. Unlimited antlerless tags too!

14. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be headed out next Wednesday for opening day, one draw over from a nice little pavilion. Rumor has it monster bucks have been hanging out there.

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    We have an early antlerless only season the month of September. I'd like to get a doe down by Oct 1.

16. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only hunt public land in MN. Here is a link to my hunt last year. After studying topos, I found another great entry/exit path that I could use to access a different section of the land, providing me more options for different wind. Getting very excited for September 17th!

17. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a nice outing this .morning

18. johnathanb19

johnathanb19 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone got any tips on best places to go on public land? I'm gonna be on a piece that's nearly 7000 acres in Missouri. It's a mix of forest, 2 small rivers that meet, corn , beans and even some sunflower fields on it. It's bow and muzzloader only on it but I've never hunted public land so I didn't know if it looks to good to be true or if I've came across something special.

19. Obsessedarcher21

Obsessedarcher21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on hunting some public land here in northeast Pennsylvania i havent put out a camera yet did some.scouting / hunting there during rifle season saw a nice buck hopefully i can figure something out and gey near one with the bow. Its over 20000 acres so the possibilities are endless

20. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Part time SC public land hunter, chasing this guy right now. Haven't had any day time pics of him but I found a good spot where there's a lot of food and water not to far. It's taken a lot of time to get anything good on my camera but it's worth every second. Hopefully he sticks around opening day is 15 august!

Attached Files: