THE official RI thread.....

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Swamp Stalker, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    less than a month to go!!!!! debating on dropping a doe opening day or just holding out hoping they will draw the bucks in

2. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    some crazy changes of plans for me.... long story short, tore my rotator cuff at work this past wednesday: (need to buy a crossbow for late season) I'm selling 2 LW ASsaults II hang ons each with 4 LW Sticks. Figured I'd give my fellow Rhody hunters a shot at them first.

$300 for 4 LW sticks, And a LW assault hang on stand. Let me know if anyones interested.

3. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Joe,
    I am so sorry to hear about your injury. That really sucks!
    Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I can't use the items you are selling, but I will pass the word.
    Good luck and heal quickly...it's a long season here in Rhode island. If you get that cross bow and need help dragging, let me know, I'd be more than happy to help.

Smitty

4. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks brother I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Augustas Mccrea

Augustas Mccrea Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got a few pics of the stands and what not?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

6. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry just saw this. My shoulder recovery physical therapy is coming along well, so I'm gonna hold on to them for now

7. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Joe - Was wondering how therapy was going. Glad to hear things are going well for you. Keep up the good work and you'll be in the stand in no time. Bet the deer can't wait to see you!:woot:

8. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Hey smitty! It's going great, able to pull back #65 on my bow, and sling some arrows! Won't be able to make it out till Saturday morning though! Can't wait!

9. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    OUT-FRIGGIN-STANDING!
    I am so happy for you Joe! You must have busted your kiester at therapy in order to get to where you are today! That, good sir, tells a lot about the kind of person you are! Well, either that or you fibbed about how badly you were injured in order to gain sympathy from the loving souls on this web site!

Now get out there and have a great time! I'll be in a tree on Saturday myself. Are you going to be able to get out west for you yearly hunt trip? Was not sure if you cancelled because of the injury.

Straight arrows good sir!
    Smitty

10. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!!! :tu: I wasn't able to make it out this weekend because it was to warm and humid for me. If I dropped a doe it would have been a mad dash trying to get it on ice, and I hate that rushing around stuff!! All systems are go for Illinois!!!!!

11. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Humid for me as well, but I opted to get out. Farmer is rather anxious about taking deer off his property. Arrived at farm at 2:30 and walk toward stand - Doe and fawn UNDER THE DAMN STAND! Needless to say, they ran off without a shot. Set up at a different location and hunting on the ground. 6 pm, doe and fawn come out of high grass. Doe sees large lump hidden in bushes (me). She spends 20 minutes stomping, peeking, staring, sniffing, trying to get me to move because she KNOWS something is not right. She was 15 feet away most of the time. Obviously I could not get a shot. Hell, barely was able to breath without her staring even more. I am assuming that my scent routine is in good working order! She did not smell me until she has moved off behind me. She exploded with snorting and blowing and left the area in a big hurry.

Scent regiment is good, but apparently I need to work on concealment! LOL

Best of luck in Illinois. Enjoy. Isn't it amazing how quickly our lives can change - for better or worse in a short period of time. Stay safe
    Smitty

12. jokerschild1996

jokerschild1996 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Greetings from Warwick. New hunter and new to forums. I'm looking to get out soon and kick this season off right. Looking at starting in either Tiverton or Arcadia Management in Exeter. Anyone have thoughts on either of those areas?

13. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Can't help with Tiverton at all. Arcadia is a big area. Going to have to do a lot of scouting. My best suggestion would be spend time in the woods and enjoy yourself. The killing of deer will happen. Enjoy the journey. There is tons to learn about and some good folks here to offer advise. Good luck and have fun!

Smitty

14. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Doe down on Saturday! Big body animal. Dressed @120. She was eating acorns at the base of my ladder stand for 10 minutes. Boy, was she noisy! Had a button buck fawn with her. Made good shot with xbow, she ran 30 yards and piled up within sight. First time I've gotten a heart shot (not from a lack of trying). This one was unintentional, but devastating! Nothing but pieces left when I opened her up. Amazing how far she went without a heart! What a tough animal.

So let's hear from others who have taken deer here in RI.

15. Dante231

Dante231 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job, Smitty! Must feel good to have one for the freezer. What time of day did you shoot her?

I was out before sunrise on Sunday. Such a perfect morning that I could have sworn something good would happen. Had to be happy with cold crisp morning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

16. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Dante - Oh she came out at the witching hour....6:00 pm with sunset at 6:02. Had I been in the ground blind, I would have not seen her. I would have bet you'd have seen something Sunday morning - it was about a perfect am. There is enough to do for me without adding another one (if I was lucky). I've shot 2 same trip and it is tough to get both butchered by yourself! Good luck next time you're out.

17. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe smitty!!
    Things have picked up round my place. Had my first buck encounter of the year last Sunday morning. Tall fork, let him walk right by. Then on Monday I had non stop action with does, started within minutes of sitting down and lasted for hours. Does and fawns fighting over acorns! I had 9 surrounding me, to many eyes to even think about moving for a shot!

18. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Went out in the rain this morning to pull the lone wolf for my Illinois trip. Found 3 fresh scrapes with no leaves in them!

19. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Here's wishing you much success in Illinois!
    3 Fresh scrapes are always a good sign...maybe not so much if you're leaving.................lol
    Good luck Joe.

20. Dante231

Dante231 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You must have sent some good karma with this message. I doubled on Sunday nite. A doe and a 6 pointer. First with a bow - I'm happy and done hunting until I can process them!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk