THE official RI thread.....

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Swamp Stalker, Sep 8, 2013.

1. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Drove up to Sydney Maine last night. Staying here for the weekend camping with the girlfriends family. Gonna be a cool trip. It's my first time to Maine.

2. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have just joined the forum. I hunt mostly in Foster, but I do hunt in Rehoboth, MA, as well. Have any of you guys had any luck this year? Almost had one last Saturday, but she jumped the string and I shot over her back.

3. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the best forum on the web. Good to have another RI hunter join. Swamp Stalker got a nice doe opening evening. I was lucky enough to get this doe the following Saturday morning. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, the weekend is over - no deer seen on 1 trip outside. The good part is that there are two does in the freezer already. Had my first double! Shot the first from the ground blind - she ran off. Second one ran off too. Listened til I heard her drop behind the blind. Gathered my stuff up and exited the blind (zipper type no less). Get out, put all my stuff on the ground - there is the second doe out in front of me....staring........ok, I figure no harm, no foul, nock an arrow and walk towards her. Have no idea what she is thinking (or seeing), but I get to 18 yards and release. She runs off about 20 yards and dies. It certainly was and unexpected event for that days hunt. Of course, now I've got 2 to dress and cool down. Damn ice cost me nearly $20.00 by the time I was done. Got both home, skinned and quartered - then into the ice chests for further processing. Had some tenderloins the next day!

I'm still not seeing very many acorns. I guess some spots are loaded and others are not. What are some of you guys seeing?

Nice doe Remy!

5. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am hunting in Foster and the area near my stand is loaded with acorns. Last time I was out they were constantly dropping. That is a hell of a way to double, too.

6. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is anyone seeing any activity? I have been out a few times in the past 2 weeks with nothing moving. I had seen quite a few deer in Sept. , but nothing since the beginning of Oct. Just wondering what everyone else is seeing. Thanks.

7. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone use lighted nocks? I was looking through the RI hunting laws and could not find anything on them. I am looking at Nockturnal lighted S nocks. Anyone have any experience with these nocks? If so, which color works best. Thanks for the help.

8. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    I used nockturnals last season. Used red color and they worked great. They are legal to use in RI. I'm not using them this season because the batteries died on them and I can't justify spending the money on new ones right now. I will say that the next time I buy lighted nocks it will be ones that have changeable batteries.

9. DaytonaJoe

DaytonaJoe Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, brand new hunter here. I got started in archery hoping for turkey but now that the season's ending I'm thinking about trying for deer. I don't know any local hunters and I'm not really sure where to begin. Do you guys ever go out in small groups or mostly solo?

10. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone been seeing much buck movement? I was out yesterday and had 3 different buck in to my stand. They did not get withing range, but they were definitely moving. All came shortly after I blind called with a can call.

11. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah, they are definitely moving around. Should be great the next week or so. Get out and enjoy. Good Luck

12. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Little Rhody Roll call!!!!!!! Who's ready to go?!?!?!

13. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Camera's out, hanging stands next week, and Sept. 15th can't come soon enough.

14. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    My season will begin today or tomorrow. Farmer friend got crop damage permits so I'll be hitting the woods a little early this year. Not looking forward to butchering in this heat and humidity, but I'm not complaining.

Just sent out the application for my all outdoors tags as well. Never have filled all the tags, but I sure do try hard. Trail cam showing deer, stands have been out for a month, blind will get out in the near future. Wishing all good hunting, but remember to have fun as well.

15. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear from you guys!! My oats and winter rye food plot is going to finally happen this year!! Finally After a few years of hard work, the dozer will be here next Wednesday to push away all the new growth and pop a few stumps. I should be planting next Saturday. I should be good as long as we don't get an early frost before the second week in October. Not to much buck activity on the trail cams though. I also see the new regs are out.

Smitty, with all seriousness
    If you need a hand dragging one out or need some fridge or freezer space let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Joe - Thank you for your generosity. I will certainly take you up on your offer if needed. I've got a game plan for now and will see how the first one goes - may adjust after that.

Excited for you getting your plot ready. I have friends in WI that have been working like dogs over the past 3 years getting their 120 acres prepared for deer and it has been fascinating to watch. Have watched some of the folks on this site as well. I've enjoyed seeing the progress. Hope you are enjoying your sweat equity!

Regards - the season is just around the corner.
    Smitty

17. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Well, my season started Saturday. Crop damage permit in hand, I headed to the tree stand. Walked slowly due to warm weather. Climbed ladder, hung pack, grabbed bow, nocked arrow - doe is below me at 8 yards! Needless to say, my hunt was over in about 3 minutes! She piled up about 40 yards away! Dressed at 102 lbs.

Now, for those of you who think it's wonderful that I got to hunt this early in the season....I gotta tell ya - it's alot of work getting the butchering done in this kind of heat. Had to move much faster than I am accustom to in the cooler weather. Funny part was it was not the flies that were a problem, but the damn yellow jackets!!!!!!!!

Venison is in the freezer, but did manage to have a fresh backstrap steak for dinner last night. Still have one hind quarter left to cut up. Thank goodness for an extra refrigerator!

Enjoy the rest of your summer and get ready for a new hunting season.

Smitty

18. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!! I can imagine how bad it sucked with the heat!!!

Side note: anyone else notice all the small green acorns on the ground already? Could be a bad year hunting in oak groves, but killer year in food plots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe Smitty. I was out yesterday setting a stand, and did notice some acorns had already fallen.

20. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Yeah, it kinda sucked...but I'm not complaining! Farmer was thrilled as well and that's a good thing.

I suspect that the last "storm" we had, Joe, helped drop some of those acorns. Areas that were not as affected by the storm seem to be ok with no acorns (that I could find). Guess we will find out soon.