The New 22 - Let The Transformation Begin

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by tynimiller, May 24, 2016.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How are the trees coming along, Ty?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    These photos were taken the 14th....I suspect with the warmer temps we've had since then and rain more have starting popping. On the 14th the two Chestnut Crabs had actual leaves and not just buds...while the 2nd and 3rd picture were the most "behind" and those were the Collet and Anjou Pear trees.

17862013_1475917195811804_564222423464392060_n.jpg 17904405_1475917232478467_1544402413839359579_n.jpg 17952563_1475917272478463_7689809752871799305_n.jpg

The two columnar style I planted at my house have exploded this week...so can't wait to get out to property to check out progress. Will take a vid or more pics.

The Chestnuts appeared to still be in complete dormancy the 14th....time will tell if they took.

copperhead likes this.
  3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh another update.

So the East side of the property where the youngest of the two fallow fields lied I did also this past weekend brush hog down more of the thinner briar patches and expanded the food plots a solid amount. Perhaps more than I really envision it BUT long term with plantings of Streamco Willows and Miscanthus Gigantus (planted 30 rhizomes last week too) the WIDE OPEN feel of the plots will begin to be pocketed despite being continually connected at times with a tractor or two width pass between them.

I also will be incorporating RealWorld's Upland blend along edges and in a full .6-.8 acre section that is a corner between two bedding options and food plots.

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well yesterday involved about 10 hours spent in my little Mazda3 (gas saver commuter) making the trip to Arthur, IL for my RealWorld product pick up!

Thing was loaded down in every spot there was room...backseat, front seat and trunk. Totally could have fit more but didn't need more.

car1.jpg trunk.jpg

Cannot wait to actually get beans incorporated into plot plans...been unable in years past!

Jeepwillys likes this.
  5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Chestnuts are starting to pop! Was getting a touch hesitant on them succeeding but last week appeared all were at least forming buds and one had some leafs starting to come forth.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

With that much seed, did you have an armed guard along to protect you and your valuables?

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I did stop at a gas station and a "hunter" noticed all the seed and chuckled as I went inside and asked if I wanted him to keep an eye on all the cash.... lol!

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well nabbed a couple pictures (on home computer) and will post later. The chestnuts all appear to be on the way to leafing out and the all the apples are loaded with leaves. Couple of them even bloomed a couple flowers to boot. I kept up on spraying them but think I made my mix a little weak as a few of them are getting some kind of blight or leaf spot. Happens and won't kill the tree but still sucks. Gonna continue to spray them whenever over there.

Some have asked where I grabbed the trees and it was from Stark Bro's nursery (https://www.starkbros.com/). Had a great experience in ordering and every tree came in a great condition. Definitely worth considering if looking to order trees from somewhere.

elkguide, woodsy211 and Hammer1171 like this.
  9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    New (long) video kinda lays out the past year of the property. Includes a plot tour towards the last 1/3 of the video as well.

copperhead likes this.
  10. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't get it to load here??????

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

Odd...perhaps change setting to lower resolution?

12. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been over a month, Ty. How's the New 22 coming along?!

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well everyone....I'll try to pump some more updates over here...but the use of the property and especially the bedding areas I worked on earlier this year before spring green up has I'd say easily doubled. Sadly Bertier is the only buck I'd shoot so far (although Mr. Piggy is old enough). I'll try to throw updates on here asap.