The neighbors won't let you onto their land to trail your deer...now what?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Stikman, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let's say you make what you think is an awesome hit, you've recovered your bubbly blood soaked arrow, and the blood trail is a "no brainer" to follow but the deer still managed to leave your property. Even after searching with binoculars from the boarder, the deer isn't in sight. There's even blood on the fence post the deer went past when exiting your property but after seeking permission the neighbors won't allow you access to recover what is most likely the largest deer you've ever shot. What would you do?:confused:
    (a family member was forced to give up the trail, after being denied access last fall, and lost what would have surely been their largest buck to date if recovered).

2. iowahunter123

iowahunter123 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In iowa (and I think most states) the law reads: "If the deer was shot on land where you had a legal right to be and it ran on posted land, you may retrieve it. However, you may not take a firearm or bow with you. The department suggests contacting the landowner as a courtesy prior to entering."

The words "suggests" and "courtesy" means there is no law that you have to ask to come on the neighbors land to recover your deer as long as you do not bring gun/bow. Now that being said, I would still ask and if turned down let them know it was just a courtesy call and that you will be recovering your deer. Then I would advise them to call the DNR/GW if this was a problem and that I would be call him as well to let him know I was going on the private land unarmed to recover my deer.

Hate to start a fight with the neighbors but if they will not let you go unarmed to get your deer then maybe they were not that grate of neighbors to begin with. IMHO

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Something's are best left unsaid.

4. ck3

ck3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Call your DNR and have them contact the owner - may persuade them to let you in.

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here you can call the DNR and an officer will help you track it on their land. With or without permission.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say always call your DNR officers...it's honestly one the easiest ways to get most people convinced of letting you find your deer.

7. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately in Illinois you can't go get it. DNR can't do anything to help either. Its just part of hunting. It sucks I know. I do know that it is very comon for deer to circle back so I would of made darn sure he didn't come back to the property further down the fence line since no sign of him was visable on the neighbors property.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

8. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    happened to me this year. central IL. i had shot a doe and couldnt find her. got the blood tracking dog out (guy was nice enough to come over and help) looked till the middle of the night. next morn hung a new stand and planned to hunt in the PM. got out about 1430 was sitting a ready by 1500. before i left the lodge the owner told me if you shoot a deer to the east make sure you put it down in sight, or else. his brother owns the land that butts up to his and felt like he got the "better" land when the dad died. ever since any deer falls on his property is his. sure enough a doe came by and i put a good shot on her. well not good enough to stop her in her tracks. she went about 150yds and crossed UNDER the fence (about 2ft high at its lowest point, you could see where she slid under). out of respect for the other brother's wishes i didnt pursue. i could have and drug her back over but those were the rules. i called him, apologized and just asked that he recover the doe and put the meat to good use. he thanked me and said he would. i blame myself not him. i knew the risks hunting that close to the fence boundary and didnt drop the doe in her tracks.... sucks. sorry to hear this happened to you.

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep......

10. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly!!!!

11. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, im sorry... I didnt realize the deer crossed the property line...

12. D&T Outdoors

D&T Outdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That happened to me an I could see the buck dead on his property! He met me at the fence an wouldn't let me get it, 150" 10, called don't an they couldn't do anything neighbor tagged it said he shot it

13. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some people just need a good *** whipping

14. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like every state is different as far as trespass is concerned when there is a downed animal involved so maybe you should call the landowner and find out what he will and wont allow,and check with your agent what he can and cant do.Maybe before the season starts

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree.

16. D&T Outdoors

D&T Outdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Neighbor an I had an agreement verbally that if either of us **** a deer we could go get it if it went across fence! DNR couldn't do anything.

17. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL, DON'T GET CAUGHT That's how I interupt our law. If they don't know you are there then do what you need to retrieve your game. In most situations I will not step across boundries with a firearm / bow, etc.....

Here in KS, A person licensed to hunt and following or pursuing a wounded game bird or animal upon any land of another without permission of the landowner or person in lawful possession thereof shall not be deemed to be in violation of this provision while in such pursuit, except that this provision shall not authorize a person to remain on such land if instructed to leave by the owner thereof or other authorized person.

I am a advocate that every state should have a clause in place to allow pursuit of a wounded game animals.

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it's unlawful, tough luck! I'd do my best to persuade the neighbor (of course this is much easier if you've already established a relationship with them prior to needing something).

On a side note, if you shot the deer it shouldn't matter if it's your biggest buck, a button or a doe. You should do everything you can (within the law) to recover the animal.

19. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tread lightly, young grasshopper.

20. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I agree 100% and I agree w/Fitz when he stated "no matter the size of the Deer, you should always make the attempt to recover your game" it's the right thing to do by the animal imho