Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Kill ...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Jul 1, 2014.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since my pie still hasn't arrived I have no choice but to continue the killing... REDRUM

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    so killing brings you pride....and regret...and I believe it would be fair to say many other feelings .... again, maybe it's semantics, but I see that as thrilling, or at the least, enjoyment...

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Justin on this one.

I don't think desiring the end result of a hunt that comes by the act of killing needs to be mutually exclusive with taking pleasure in the act that is, for argument's sake, a means to the end. I'm excited after the shot and afterwards knowing I was successful and that my preparation wasn't all for naught. However, the fact that I took a life, regardless of whether it's part of the cycle, or interwoven with mother nature or not, does give me pause. Like Mike said, if it didn't, I probably would be more apt to kill other things without hesitation.

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I told you I will deliver it during deer season, bow in hand ...

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    About time you chimed in!

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Being that I hunt hogs mostly and their not as cute and cuddly as a whitetail I feel the kill is mission accomplished. I am selective and I only shoot boars 150lbs plus and the only regret is that if I let it walk it could grow even bigger but there no garantee I'd ever see it again also.
    I see animals as being put here by God to better the lives of man period. Otherwise what are they here for? They live very harsh lives and have no means of improving it for themselves, meaning a thousand years from now elk and foxes with not learn how to make fire to warm themselves in winter. They are here for us and we must respect them and maintain their extistence for that reason. I feel what we do is right and building more climate controlled warehouse to raise these animals in for the non hunter to have killed by someone else is really crucially to animals.
    Then there is the multi billion dollar a year pet industry to breed little dogs and cats to spend eternity imprisoned in an apartment or condo and the animals lovers think this is kindness the Gods creatures. I think that's cruelty.

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I am proud that I have overcome the challenges of the hunt and I also have some regret after ending a life. Thrill and excitement can be mixed in as well. I'd be lying if I said I never smiled when I killed something.

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate your honesty, Jake

10. comescrashing

comescrashing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    for me I get really anxious and excited about the opportunity to make a quick clean kill. After the animal has died and I approach it I then feel thankful for the animal and glad it died quickly. Only after I process it and make something from it am I completely grateful to take that animals life. It is the way it's supposed to be, kill,thank, process, cook, enjoy. Through all those steps I get a sense of accomplishment and affirmation that this is the way it's supposed to be.

I think the biggest problem with peoples feeling towards killing the animals is that we as a society are so far removed from where our food comes from, it's disgraceful. I plan on taking my daughter out for the first time this year to hunt with me, and truly understand where her food comes from. In order to have life, there must be death.

11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With that said I do have great respect for these creations and I don't take a shot unless I'm sure it's a kill shot. I get really down on myself if I real ease an arrow and not retrieve the animal. Others my write that off as hunting but I beat myself up about it and practice that much harder.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because archery season has much better weather and is longer and doesn't ruin an entire front shoulder if shot placement is a little off. There are a lot of reasons why people might prefer archery over the use of a gun. Some even believe using a gun to be unfair and unsporting and therefore disrespectful of the animal.

I think to over simplify it and represent it as a "desire, eagerness and enjoyment of killing" is a gross oversimplification that does an injustice to the sport and sportsmen alike. Every aspect of what has been discussed is a part of the experience and narrowing it down to those four things alone is like taking a quote out of context.

13. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is simple tho... why are we afraid to call it what it is... if you don't kill, you have failed, missed, blew it, got buck fever, etc. Let that happen EVERY year and see how long you stay in the sport... the kill is the climax of all aspects of the hunt....it carries with it thrills that no other sport can or does.... it is not child's play ....make no mistake, this is a blood sport.... just call it for what it is...

14. jewalker7842

jewalker7842 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like everyone is afraid to say they enjoy killing things.

I love hunting and I love the rush of killing things, but I eat what I kill. Sometimes I have to kill things because they are pests, like the rabbits that get into my father-in-law's garden every year. I have to keep them in check.

There is nothing wrong to say you enjoy the rush of killing something.

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont think there's a member on here that is afraid to say something. Both sides have voiced their opinions.

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see the separation ...Maybe I am too thick headed? Anyone that understands this, the author included, wanna try and explain the bolded above?

17. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it is hard to shoot a deer at 20 yards with a bow; however it is hard to get 20 yards from a deer or the specific deer you are after. I was taught to respect the animal and the meat and the rest will fall in place. I challenge myself beyond the meat every year with certain bucks. I would never fling an arrow or bullet on anything that I would not eat. Several times over the years I have walked up to deer taking their last breaths; that is not a moment for good feelings or high fives. Deer die free and doing what they love; I would love nothing better than to die while I was hunting in the wild.

18. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He enjoys the preparation and knowing that it expired as quickly as possible, but he still shows remorse toward killing it.

At least that's how I took it.

19. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the white man loves to kill.

the native regrets the need to kill.

That is the difference between someone who respects life and someone who doesn't.

Most people these days cannot comprehend the spirituality of the native american, yet they try to play the part of a native with misplaced bloodthirst and the pomp of being "an assasin".

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I must know different native americans because the ones I know love to get after it with a bow, no regrets