Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Kill ...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you travel to hunt? I understand your mindset but I have found as I get older the killing has been more methodical than an adventure. I live and hunt on the same land so in a way I scout every day, I watch the deer I can tell them apart on trail cam pics. I usually have a plan on how to take a couple of deer I watch on a regular basis. I enjoy hunting as much as ever but when I take a deer out by the time I arrow the deer I have been planning the deer's death for month.

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    But would you agree that killing your target animal is thrilling?

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's certainly a release of emotions. All sorts of emotions. Usually I have put in a lot of time and effort to culminate to that specific moment in time. A sense of accomplishment followed by a sense of sadness, followed by a sense of anticipation, followed by a sense of excitement followed by a sense of respect for my game once I have placed my hands on it. You could probably sum that up as thrill, but I'm not sure that's how I would describe it. It's truly a roller coaster of emotions for me.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The first buck I killed (at 14,) I had to finish off with a shotgun at point blank range. Shot him 4 times prior to that before he finally fell, and when I walked up he was still trying to get up despite a busted shoulder and a 20 gauge hole in the bottom of his chest. Dad and I walked up together, and he asked me if I wanted to finish him or if I needed him to do it. I told him that I had to finish what I started and did so. I sobbed for a few minutes after. Dad told me to take a few minutes and to be thankful for the opportunity and determination to do God's will (we're not Bible thumpers; and I don't think he could cite the passage- but he was referring to Genesis 1:26, Man's dominion over all living things.) I will never, ever forget the look in that animal's eyes at the end, and I think about it every time I recover a game animal. I am awed by the entire experience.

I feel a sense of pride every time I get to step into the woods, knowing I am going forth to fulfill my place on this earth as a shepherd of all living things. I feel humbled every time I kill a game animal. A touch of humility is good for humanity.

So, in short- yes, I like The Kill.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I used to a lot. Now, just one, maybe two trips a year. Why?

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I could be wrong but for some there is a disconnect based on distance. Like I said I hunt at home so there is no build up before the hunt. I am not packing my stuff, loading up the truck and heading to deer camp and all that goes with that and for some that is as meaningful as the hunt itself. I hunt alone so there is no fellowship with other hunters, no getting away from it all to hunt.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not always. Last fall was the first time I could get a bonus tag, when I bought the tag I knew exactly what doe I was going to take. The doe was the herd bully she had not had a fawn in 2 years. I watched her storm the food plot and run off other deer she really hated fawns. When I shot that doe is was seconds after I watched her smack a spotted fawn over the head with her front hoof. There was no thrill in that just satisfaction that I was going to get a lot of meat, and the bully was gone.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think the two things are mutually exclusive. I take quite a bit of pleasure in the entire process leading up to the kill and in the feelings that come from killing an animal cleanly but I wouldn't say that I enjoy the actual kill itself. That's not to say I am turned off by it because that's not the case either. I think that's where some people get hung up on this topic; feeling that if you don't take pleasure in it that it must turn you off. Clearly this isn't the case as we wouldn't hunt at all if we were turned off by the act of killing. But to say that I take pleasure in it just wouldn't be an accurate statement.

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I also hunt right out my back door at home here. Actually, this is our first summer living here, but we owned the property last year and I killed a doe here. This year, we have deer in our yard quite often and a doe that isn't afraid of us at all. The other day we were picking strawberries in our garden and she walked right up to us and started eating strawberry leaves. This year, I don't know if I'll be able to kill a for back here. I'm getting soft in my old age.

10. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I kill stuff fairly often. To me, killing is a means to an end. I find no joy in the actual act of 'killing'. I'm not particularly sad about the actual act either.

If I am happy after I kill a gopher, it's because I hit my target. I am happy after I kill a starling in the backyard, it's because I greatly dislike those nasty, chicken feed eating, invasive birds. If I am happy after I kill a deer, it's because I was able to put together a string of challenges that will now reward me with a sense of accomplishment and yummy meat. But it's not the actually killing that makes me happy.

About two months ago, I put my .45acp to my beloved dog's head and pulled the trigger. I bawled for days after and just thinking about this is making cry again. I have no regrets about the actual act of killing her. She was suffering horribly and pulling that trigger was the last act of kindness I could do for her. But there isn't a stitch of my being that wishes I didn't have to do it.

I think that if you truly believe that you like killing stuff, simply for the sake of killing... there is something seriously wrong with you.

11. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Providing that the animal is what I thought it was when I drew back, and that the arrow hits where I want and it expires quickly, I feel no remorse, and really don't think too much into it, other than it's food that I just harvested. I do get down and say a prayer of thanks though, when I find the deer, as I feel that it is a gift given to me from God.

V

12. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im getting soft too. With trail cameras now days I become "attached" to particular bucks and end up naming them and really enjoy watching them growfrom year to year. Then when its time hunt them I hunt hard and hopefully take them out. It is a great sense of accomplishment to harvest a "target buck" but I also am sad knowing that the pictures of him will stop and the story has ended.

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's good to see that many others feel the same way.

The act of killing doesn't bring me pleasure, which I dont think it should.

What I love about hunting is the process before - the planning, scouting, shooting, traveling, and many other things that go into a hunt. It's unfortanate that it has to end with the kill, but all the work makes you have a greater respect for that animal. The kill insures that we will have food for our family and be able to conserve for future generations.

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You see...this response baffles me...it DOESN'T have to end with a kill...someone will give you meat...use a camera or a paint ball bow...and like Dan posted, how much really enters into the conservation side.....

I could not disagree more with the "unfortunate" comment....

15. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where is Brett on this topic?

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to point me in the direction of the guy handing out venison I’m all ears.

17. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'll trade you venison for beef, any day.

18. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Coming from the guy who would trade beef for fish.

I would generally prefer the meat being leaner when used in a dish. I also can't just go to the store and buy it. That makes it special to me.

But yeah, if I want a big fat steak I would prefer beef. But for general cooking and a nice lean steak or roast I enjoy venison very much and feel a bit better about feeding it to my kids.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  19. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't eat a picture.

Killing is mixed with a sense of pride and regret. IMO

You can choose to slaughter them all, let them overpopulate (thus destroying their own habitat) or you can choose to conserve.

Conservation exists.

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Then shoot them with your gun and shoot ANY deer ...why use a bow? Because it is a greater challenge to KILL one with a bow than a gun, giving you a more accomplished FEELING ....