***The Huntsmen -Team 27***

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Dunn County, Aug 16, 2015.

1. *twodogs*

*twodogs* Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, congrats

2. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well during my four day hunt the movement was really not all that great because all of the deer were nocturnal. I did have a shot at a doe and I missed but that was really just poor shot selection on my part.

On Friday night about an before sunset I did almost have a crack at a really nice 150" class buck. He came out into out large food plot and I needed him to come just 15 more yards into my shooting lane but something got his attention at the other end of the field and he took off back out into the timber. I was pretty much crushed the rest of the night! I leave Friday for my rutcation I will be off the entire week.

3. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck. I saw a whopper for my area the other day and have been hunting hard. The next two week should be great!!!

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't get a tape on him yet, I will tonight. Good luck to everyone, bucks are hitting the ground all over the states through my group of friends. I'll be off after work tommorw until next Monday hunting as much as possiable.

5. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Well I came out to Ohio today to do an all day hunt. I ratteled around 7:15 and a few mins later a small 8 came in from behind me, he looked around and left. 10 mins later a very big buck came from my right on top of this lil hill and worked a scrape and started headed across the hill towards me I ranged some spots where he would hopefully come out and he ended up getting into one of my 40 yds lanes and I made a good shot, he ran back under my tree and crashed within sight. I'm totally floored right now, Ohio public land, this is my 5th year and this is the biggest one I have connected with out here. Pics to come! If I'd had to guess I would say 140" but I'm all jacked up and could be way off, I'm going to get him in a lil.

6. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice man, You are slaying them!

7. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations! Why couldn't you have killed him first! Lol

Your having a great season. I hope some of your success rubs off on the rest of us.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

8. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Here are some pics of the Ohio buck, image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, I need to be hunting apparently.... Wind has been horrible here the last several days. At least that is my story and I am sticking to it. Cold front ( or should I say normal temps) is coming in tonight. Hunting tomorrow and all next week!

10. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    My vacation starts tomorrow at 4pm and I can't wait! The weather forecast is supposed to be awesome this weekend and I really hope I can get something done.

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was covered up in deer tonight the last hour of light. Had 3 bucks all within bow range and none of them were big enough. I may need to lower my expectations. lol!

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still at it! Went out to my farm last night. Only had one buck i n bow range. Wish he would have been bigger as I had him at full draw when he stepped out behind a cedar tree at 3 yards. I sat in the same stand this morning and didn't see anything! I guess its time to get bold. I am going to start hunting one property exclusively where I have seen the most deer. Hope it pays off!

13. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    I am still here too. I have had a pretty crappy trip until tonight. I saw 8 deer total. Things finally seem like they might be ready to go.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

14. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Long time no post.Thought I was about due for an update. Been up to our farm the past 3 weekends and was able to get out only 1 night due to absolutely terrible winds. I blame El Nino!!! We have had more SW winds than anyone can remember with there being a strong NW predominant winds im the northern side of ND and with the bedding area on the north side of our property it makes setting up difficult with a SW wind without blowing scent right down the trails or into the bedding area. However on a good note my dad went out opening weekend of rifle opener last weekend and saw the number one on the hitlister on our property. With rut picking up have had a 150" class buck start hanging around our property from checking trail cams.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I braved the wind and went out this afternoon. I walked in at 1:30 PM and there was already a buck in the cut corn field right off the access road. I thought to myself today may be the day! I walked back in 3/4 of a mile, hung a stand and was in the tree well before 3PM. At sunset I saw the first buck and then not far behind him was the buck I have been after. I've seen this deer take the exact same route twice now. I am going to move my stand to see if I can kill him the next time the wind is right. It's a long shot as he has to enter the field early enough to get to me before shooting light ends.

I see Dunn posted his buck on the score board! Suncrest, did you ever get your buck scored?

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted hard all day. Been at it since 4 AM. When I got home I dropped down behind the house and heaven behold this guy was pushing does around one of my feeders for 2 hours. I threw my cloths back on and popped in the stand for an evening sit hoping you would be tending the does. Well I was in the stand for a total of about 5 minutes when the deer started filtering from the CRP field. I saw 1 buck, little guy, more then 8 does and a handful of turkeys all with bow range. I am going to hit that spot again i n the morning hoping that buck will be back in there again!

I haven't decided if he has really tiny brow-tines or the rest of his rack is just HUGE!. Anyone want to take a guess what he might score? Covey thinks he is 170+. I am not so sure but hope I get a chance to put a tape on him!

More pics in the trail cam forum if you are interested!

[​IMG]

17. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say 150's his brows compared to his ears look short but every thing else is top notch..... Shooter in my book

18. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Put a doe down over the weekend boys. Added it to score card already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am back from my vacation and without a deer unfortunately. I had a few close calls with the bow but just couldn't get it done. I picked up the 20ga. for my hunt Saturday and Sunday and almost had a shot at a stud of a buck but it just wasn't meant to be. The theme of the trip was close but not close enough it was pretty frustrating to say the least.

I did have one close encounter with a buck on Tuesday with shot opportunities at 15 and 30 yards but in the moment I decided to pass him up since it was early in the week and I thought I would have had better chances at a few big boys in the area. Well one of the guys who hunts out place shot him yesterday morning and after seeing him up close I knew that I screwed up. He was a nice old mature buck that I should have shot but as usual I over thought it and passed.

I will be back down after thanksgiving and again in December so not all is lost. I hope all of you are having good hunts and continue to push hard to get a deer this year.

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted hard the tail end of last week and all through the weekend. I rattled in a little 8 last night. The big guy behind the house eludes me. I have sat there almost every day since I received the first day light pics of him. I have seen every single buck I have on cam in the exception of him. In fact I could have killed all of them. I have had so many close encounters this year. I feel like that guy in the boat that always catches the smallest fish! Good grief! When am I going to have a good buck in bow range?!!!