The Great Crossbow Debate

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Apr 16, 2012.

1. b0nec0llect0r

b0nec0llect0r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more with this statement. Take me for example. I work 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. I arrive at work an hour early to get my work clothes on, hardhat, light, gloves, change my socks and work boots, sign in and then in addition to that it's a 25 minute drive to and from work. I basically leave at 6:45AM and get home at 5:45PM and this is something I do 6 days per week.

I don't have time anymore to paper tune, walk back tune, broadhead tune, etc. Between finding time to put out trail cams and hang tree-stands, my hunting season time is very limited. Being able to use a crossbow instead of compound for me would be very time efficient. Not to mention the only day off I get a week are Sundays, and on Sundays you cannot legally hunt here in West Virginia unless it's on private land.

Not to mention my job is construction labor in a coal mine which is very physically demanding and I don't have the energy when I get home to do much.

One could possibly argue if making crossbows legal to everyone would limit the amount of compound bow production or people using compound bows? Maybe it would be a weak argument since if rifles didn't limit compound bows, why would crossbows? Most people want more of a challenge when they hunt, which is why a lot of people prefer compound bowhunting over rifle hunting. A lot of people prefer rifle hunting over bowhunting because they can kill deer from farther away more accurately.

When the question boils down to it though, bowhunting is generally more popular IMO.

2. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the guys that want them so bad... allow them for rifle season. It's a start and everyone wins !! Oh wait... most wouldn't give up their rifle for a crossbow. Cross bows wouldn't sell for the guys in it for the money ( marketing ), who are one of the biggest pushes for it.

Funny how that works !! Too think it is just for the betterment of all hunters which some are trying to make us believe. :wave:

Would I rather want a guy that has no time to get profficient with a bow to be hunting or would I rather have a guy that has no time to get profficient with a crossbow. Or the same scenario but deciding to take up hunting a week before it starts. Gee that is kind of a no brainer. Neither of them. What idiot would choose the guy with the crossbow since both are sssssooooooo similar in limitation ?? In other words... cross bow wasn't the right answer. If you ain't got the time... take up knitting. The only thing you will be wounding is yourself should you suck at it.

What I want is for them to legalize spears, atlatls, dropping rocks on their head and driving them off cliffs to their death. You know... the old school stuff when hunters were hunters. Fair is fair. What you cross bowers got to say ?? We could throw in crossbows as well and have our own season.

This post was more or less in jest except for paragragh 3 and some of 1 but not much of 2 with the bulk of it in 5 and 4. Otherwise I could careless one way or the other. I am prepared to talk down to you if you reply to this in a negative fashion. With facts even. They may not be relevant but they will be facts none the less.

:sheep:

Tim

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Precisely. The Game Hearings here are pretty much a joke and a poor representation of the public's opinion on heated debates. Most of the hunters in the state are indifferent to allowing crossbows here in WI, but when "votes" like these come up groups like the WBH rile up their members and get them go vote. Fear drives people more than facts.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, that sucks to be you. Since you don't have a lot of time to shoot, then its time to find a new hobby. Sorry man, hunting isn't for you, its only for guys that have lots of time. Take up knitting.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You're confused. The guys on this thread who are supporting crossbow hunting don't "want them so bad." We're indifferent. We're not lobbying to get laws passed, but are fine with it if they do. We realize that if those laws do pass, it won't change our hunting. We're not scared of some imaginary ghost suddenly running around with a crossbow killing "our" deer. We realize that hunting is a wonderful pastime and something that others should try and enjoy if they want to. We realize that hunters are hunters, no matter the weapon they use. We realize that times change and are willing to change with them. We realize that there's a lot more people to think about, than just ourselves......we're not selfish.

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously, how much time does one need to become proficient with a modern compound bow?

I am as busy as most people, however I find the time to get it done with keeping sharp with both my recurve and my compound. When I was getting ready to hunt with my recurve I would shoot 60-80 shots a day because I was frightened I would wound an animal. I made it happen. I remember many days that I could not find any time to shoot and would have to wait for my kids to go to sleep and then slip into the garage and work on my form at 5 yards. I made it happen. So this "I am too busy" to become proficient with a compound as an out for using a crossbow does not fly.

And I agree with TJF, this push is about money, which is what most things are about these days. Lets just be honest.

That ALL being said, I don't care if crossbows are used during bow season. I just hate beating around the bush when talking about things....just speak the truth.

7. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I am in the minority then 'cause I gave up my rifle for a bow last year during the WI gun season!!! I was glad WI allowed bows to legally be used during the rifle season in 2011. It saved me some $$$ buying a gun license!! I know your post was in reference to crossbows, not compound/traditional bows.

OK, I must now return to my position reading the posts in this thread. :jerry:

8. freeloader

freeloader Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Having hunted with both compound and crossbow, I could not agree more with this. What's missing with the crossbow is waiting for that moment to draw without getting picked off....and the additional excitement it adds to the encounter. No small thanks to a neck injury, I've been unable to draw a compound for many years. When I was first injured, one of the fist thing I tried was drawing my bow......it was also the last time.

9. b0nec0llect0r

b0nec0llect0r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I kill a deer every season with my limited schedule so I'd say I'm doing alright with my schedule.

10. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed.

Most department store managers in sporting goods stores are going to be for it... As would be say - an administrator of a hunting forum, hunting guide and/or someone who runs a resort and is catering to all types of outdoor enthusiasts, many outdoor writers or even some politicians who want to treat hunters/tags like cash cows.... Have a hard time seeing how some people could look me in the face and say "I've potentially got something to gain from this but I'm being objective". Even if you do, in my mind, there is an asterisk involved there....

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion and shouldn't get blasted for saying it. Debate it, but keep it 'clean'....

Funny thing is, the vast majority of hunters against it on this thread are just stating their opinion and not slinging mud - seems to me, there is more hostility and aggressiveness coming from the other side - calling people selfish in every other post, twisting numbers\statistics to benefit their argument, talking about how "I" is used so many times on one side but yet totally ignoring posts on the other side of the argument doing the same thing..

Why can't people just say their opinion and not get blasted for it? Will never understand why wanting someone to play by the same rules during an archery season is being selfish? Everyone has to abide by the same rules - the hunter decides if he wants to play or not - pretty simple really... In fact, some could argue that trying to get crossbows included could be seen as selfish by those able bodied hunters wanting to use them...

So some people don't seem like others hunters opinions... Fine. But let's all respect each others opinions and differences enough to move on, burn this thread at the end of the day and throw in it the garbage - then get back to talking about hunting....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  11. chickenmcnasty

chickenmcnasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I remember that kansas always had a regulation for archery that said you were unable to use anything that locked your bow at full draw. I guess they defined what a crossbow is within the archery regs. Either way, it doesn't bother me. I was more worried about an early rifle antlerless season...

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

12. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    as a couple of people have already stated, this is most definitely about money and nothing else. One would have to be in left field to not think that crossbow money is not creeping into bowhunting sites thru out the web to silence the resistance to crossbows being allowed in general archery season. On one popular bowhunting site you are not allowed to even start a thread in the bowhunting section that is anti crossbow. It won't be long until the Heli m that greets you when you enter this site is replaced by a horton or ten point or insert the cross bow with the most moneys name. I do not blame anyone for being bought, just don't sit there and tell me its any other reason other than what it really is. bring on the flamers

13. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Confused ?? Not so much although when I lead into my post with " for the guys that want them so much "... that pretty much should have ruled out the indifferent, the guys who don't care because it isn't going to change their hunting or the non lobbyists for crossbows. It seemed pretty straight forward to me.

I really don't care as I mention in the previous post. I'm surely not too worried about them killing my deer. I am not selfish as I have never kept or tried to keep others from enjoying hunting. I came from an era where a kid could hunt on all the surrounding neighbor's land just for the asking and showing respect. Sadly I don't see too many kids out hunting now days. Times have indeed change. Payhunting and leasing have killed access for many hunters and their kids. Selfish comes in many forms and with blinders. Sometimes we don't see the forest for the trees.. but it sure seems to be fun pointing fingers. Trust me... crossbows won't make or break hunting for the average Joe and his kids.

Tim