Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Good Dog Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cml5895, Mar 7, 2019.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Todays run was wild, came home with two harnessed dogs PACKED in mud. A. J.'s nose and mouth filled with blood. Scouts cheeks stained in A.J.'S blood. Both faces covered in rotted tree and mud. Yep A.J. stuck his nose into an occupied hole. The occupant was not having it. Well that didn't go over well with both dogs cheek to cheek wildly digging to get the attacker. I had to get a tad nasty to pull them off the crator they were making...lol
    Thank heavens they are both good about baths.

JeffC and Westfinger like this.
  2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Took Scout in for his first visit with our vet. I was early and they had time so they took him right in. Just as with A j they all fell in love with him and out came cameras. We discussed his issue and I fear it may have been an honest soft hit on sad news. More honest than we were lead to believe. His condition is so rare there is only one perscription food made for it. Right now he's in great shape with just one concern voiced by both vets.
    My fear is his in woods run he eats sticks, stones,rotted logs and any poo seen despite my best efforts. This is literally a running breed. I took him to give him his best life and running with A. J. Is that. I have never owned a muzzle but asked the vet about muzzling him just for the runs. Here's where the honesty came in. Well we are talking quality of life now for him with these type of stones giving him his best life while trying to maintain his best feeding as you have. This is all we can ask for so no. I told her the no was what I was hoping for. That said, I realized she was saying he is probably on borrowed time, having developed this issue before he was 18 mos old. She sorta confirmed what I was told in, as any future stone blockage will be a put down situation..
    We will give him his best life , cherish the joy he brings us and hope he beats the odds. 30#'s a month @ 130.00 a bag. Good thing I hunt, raise chickens(incubating for meat starts this month) and sprout and garden our veggies and fruit
    E gads 270 . 00 for his vist and AJ is next week with the heart worm check. Hoping the slow method has worked and his heart hasn't been damaged. That was another rescue no one would take and he was supposedly heart worm free...not.
    so glad we did take him.

JeffC likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So I got all the RX auto ships set up for Scout. Now mind you when reading this, we knew his care was going to be expensive. It has been taken on because it isn't his fault the Amish breeders are selling pups knowing the issue, the buyer not listening to breeder or vets. To avoid the seriousness of his issues. Vet bills aside, feeding and meds will be a monthly 294.00 dollar bill.
    Having trained as a groomer and managing a boarding kennel, I learned a lot about various breeds medical issues. I had to dose boarders with perscription drugs for a wide variety of medical issues.
    When looking for a new pup make sure you know what issues the breed you want could develope. Then question the breeder, even get written statement as to their knowledge of such issues having popped up in sires. Then consider as with college funds, have a pup medical fund put aside. Do this hoping for the best and prepared for the worst. Look at it as a fund you could use in 15 yrs for a vacation or starting another pups journey.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    opossumhunterNC and JeffC like this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pita is fading fast makes me sad she had a nice 15 year run.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So we have the Grand dog for another 2 week stretch. Larry has made friends with a Canada goose couple that hang around the bay. He goes down by the shore and they swim over, and they watch each other. Larry works his way down the shore over to the bay and the geese follow. This morning the geese were out in the lake swimming and I let Larry out and said there are your buddies, he did a couple of his hound bellers and the damn geese swam over at a quick pace to meet Larry at the shore. Poor dog is going to go back to the city and think the geese in the hood are friendly too and they gang up on him and piss pound him.

6. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking after my daughters dog for a few days while they are on vacation. She is a sister to my pup. They get going pretty good rough housing, but they a good dogs overall.

Here they are taking a breather after coming in from romping in the yard.

1000002428.jpg

7. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bone Head those are American Bulldogs right? I used to have 2 at different times in my life, great dogs. Tank with the double patches and the other one Marino. A127B694-3AFE-4C66-B20C-D64A0D81F027.jpeg A10BD434-3371-4879-A57A-18A30284407F.jpeg

8. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah they are american bulldogs. Smart as a whip and loyal beyond belief. My pup is probably the best dog I have ever had.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    She has turned into a real beauty at little over 1 yr old.

1000018504.jpg

10. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When your best friend has long hair and won’t play with you because it’s too hot…. Taking a nap on them is always an option. IMG_9820.jpeg