Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Good Dog Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cml5895, Mar 7, 2019.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Plott Hound?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Part plot, part blue tick some other hound thrown in too. He has some energy when he comes to stay at my place he is in heaven he can go outside and run and smell vs living in the city.

JeffC, cantexian and oldnotdead like this.
  3. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I listened to the Bear Grease podcast do a series on Plott Hounds, they sound like a great dog breed. We need to move to a different home before we get another dog, but I am going to take a look at Plott Hounds when we are ready to get a dog again.

Sota likes this.
  4. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That family is not far from me and steeped in history and mountain dog lore. I have buddies who own Plotts and love em, but they work them or show them. I personally won't own a hound for various reasons, but if you're into Hounds and know what you're getting into, you can't go wrong with them.

5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know much about hounds, so I would definitely need to learn more before getting one. My only dog was a GSP.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Their beller or their bark is made to be heard a half mile away so there is that.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I assumed that, most hounds are that way. That may be the one thing that stops it from happening.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Larry looks out the windows here and is over stimulated and vocalizes. I told my son he should have named the dog Donny like from the Big Lebowski, because I often say STFU Larry, at least if his name was Donny I would make myself laugh from time to time. I did turn his robo color down to 2 and corrected him on bellering so I think he is simmering down, but he gets so excited and can't help himself, that is what makes him a hound that can run forever.

MUDSHARK and cantexian like this.
  9. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well last night was absolute **** of a night. After almost 14 years of being my little buddy had to let my blue heeler Brody go. He had been messing with diabetes last year or so and all of a sudden 2 days ago had a little seizure and then was back to normal up until yesterday afternoon. Took him in to get checked and everything was normal bloodwork wise but he was a either a stroke or several little seizures for goin on 2.5 hours. Did really have any other choice so had to let him go. Worst 10-15 mins have had in long time watching him lay his head down for last time. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss, that sucks.

11. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds rough, sorry to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So very sorry for your loss. They give us great great joy and a path to sarrow. Take solace in the joy given

13. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss.

14. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So sorry for you and your family's loss.

15. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So sad to have to say goodbye. Sorry for your loss.

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    On the 6 we get the rescue Dalmatian to baby sit/ trial run for a week. That should give us a window on how he and A.J. can handle sharing us and space. Also how we can handle his medical needs. Hubby is a crazied snack giver. I tend to toss things when cooking. A.J will drop some weight..lol
    His diet restrictions are no joke and just running our place with out eagle eyes could be VERY bad. A.J is a hunter, if there are animal parts in the area ,he will find them. Rodents and woodchucks haven't a chance. Dalmatian is on a zero meat/ purine diet. Has been recovering from urinary stone surgery. I'm stock piling egg bites with my 6-10 eggs a day the chickens are giving us. Eggs are a protien he is allowed. Sweet potato is a veggy allowed so I've frozen and dried some of those.
    Hope it all works out A. J. hates being alone. They are close in age by a year maybe 2. Dalmatian is bigger than A.J. with zero dog aggression just like A. J.
    I'm back to walking dogs again. A. J has had free range as long as I'm with him , due to training, over a year now. Thankfully the Dalmatian is E trained and has his own collar.

ash d likes this.
  17. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck OND.

oldnotdead likes this.
  18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks , I just got done making mini egg bites as treats and muffin sized ones as partial meals used up 3 dozen eggs , weighed them out to know how many equal a single egg for nutrients & calories. Freezing individually so I can do big bags . Ration out for every three days to thaw then store in fridge.
    Also have a tray of thin sliced Swt.taters drying for training treats. Looks like she may be setting on leaving him permanently barring issues.
    She just dropped 500.00 on her own rescue due to a back yard skunk attact in morning potty run. Being small and getting a direct facial hit things were not good.. I did not realize that skunk spray can kill a smaller dog or one that gets a blood reaction. I did know it can blind dogs Thankfully she's doing OK and the other two were not involved and separated before she made contact with them.

So guys it's that time of year, they are out about and apparently grumpy!
    Tip:
    step out sniff the air and scan the dark with a flash light. Keep lots of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda on hand.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my, 2 male gaurd type dogs, one 4 and one 2, May 12th, looking for dominance. Thankfully AJ learned already who is dominate and it's niether of them. Scout is learning quickly just what the pecking order is. They need separation when not constantly watched.
    They took a "free" run around the property this morning and it was really a joy watching them run and play together. Scout is a runner and had a blast. I have a lot of training to do. Sit ,heel and stay are # 1

ash d, Mod-it and JeffC like this.
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    20240308_123515.jpg 20240308_123545.jpg The runs are calming him down. I have a lot of training to do and he has some tough lessons to learn # 1&2 No Agressive play , NO ATTACKING CHICKENS! IF he doesnt improve rapidly I fear he will be going back.
    I won't allow him to ruin A.J.'s temperment or killing livestock, period.
    He literally turns his face away from me and refuses to look my way when he doesn't want to listen.
    Cross fi gers because he is a good dog. Givenup only due to his medical problems brought on by not feeding the food they were told he needed.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    ash d and JeffC like this.