The Good Dog Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cml5895, Mar 7, 2019.

1. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my brother and my early teens to late teens, we had a medium size collie. I bet she didn't weigh 60 lbs. She didn't bother any of the other animals unless a cat would get too close to her food dish while she was eating. It would happen so fast that you couldn't stop her. She would be eating. Grab the cat behind the head, shake it twice, drop it and go back to eating. Cat was dead in a second.

When we would drag small square hay bales with bale hooks out in the pasture for the cows in the winter, her job was to keep the cows out in the pasture from getting out the gate. She was very good at it. Only once did a cow get the best of her by kicking her as she was chasing it back through the gate. She yelp and went down hard. My first thought was that probably ruined her because she got up and ran away from the cow horribly scared. Both me and Pat started hollering at her to sic the cow. We both took off running at the cow. The dog went from fear to a rage in an instant. She went after the cow biting her in the back legs and belly. That had to hurt cause the cow was bellering while the dog chased her all over the pasture. We finally had to call her off. After that, none of the cows would even try getting out the gate when the dog was there.

She was one of my favorite dogs except for one little thing. Dad named her Lassie. All's I heard when the cousins/friends would come over was, " Oh no Lassie, did Timmy fall in the well again? We better go find and save him. Unfortunately for them, she liked the game of sic em. Timmy would always get the last laugh. :evilgrin:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is a damn dog I like dogs more than people.

TJF, cantexian, JeffC and 1 other person like this.
  3. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s impressive… we got a lot of land beavers around here but they’re all so skittish that people or dogs can’t hardly get within 100yds of them before they’ll spot you and dive back into their hole. They sure are tasty when you do manage to get one. Sounds like yours might’ve gotten a little over tenderized though.

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Came to the cabin to mow.
    Unbelievable how lonely it is with Roscoe gone.
    Not even fun being here?
    It is getting a bit easier though.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's all the little things you never think about, until they happen. So many little things, but with each one it does get easier.

So many memories for me that randomly pop up on facebook every day or two, they bring sadness but also glad I have some of them to save again after losing a phone or two over the years.

Rest easy knowing his aging woes and pain are no more and his healthy years are your best memories.

OmarLittle, JeffC and oldnotdead like this.
  6. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Indeed cls:cool:

I shot a red squirrel today from the window.
    First one of maybe 1000 I've shot over the past 12 years that he wasn't there to fetch it up.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good thing I do not have poisonous snakes here. There was a snake in the yard and pita lost her ****, growling and barking. The snake was striking at her and that pissed her off more, she is still nimble the snake never hit her.

TJF, JeffC and oldnotdead like this.
  8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The river unleashed again. Miss this dog so much

Screenshot_20220626-211950_Facebook.jpg

dnoodles, ash d, Suncrest08 and 4 others like this.
  9. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My garden is getting safer every day and I have higher hopes for the cowpeas and beans I'm planting today. He got another Chuck yesterday and had yet another squealing as it got to a rabbit hole just in time. That rabbit hole entrance is way bigger now...lol . He just may drive them all out. Love having small game around, just not around where I'm growing our food or my best plots/ Stand areas. Especially when I grow them treats like the mulberries ,which are piling up on the ground and they are eating my cabbage.
    A. J. Has been having a blast, they had to drive him.all the way up North to give him a chance and I'm glad I said yes, heart worm issues and all.. He's having a good life.

dnoodles, TJF and JeffC like this.
  10. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well got reminded this week my blue heeler is getting older. He had to soend week at vet for test and whatnot to find out he's diabetic apparently. So now it's change in diet, meds, and insulin shots twice a day. Wasn't really expecting that but is what it is i guess. Definitely little expensive initially but he goes back in a month for check and may be able to drop some stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I have never seen anything like it.A.J. is a berry picking menace. Bad enough I'm battling all the birds for the berries but A.J too. It is actually hysterical watching him selectively picking each red or blk. Raspberry off the branches. He sort of slurps them off...lol

TJF and JeffC like this.
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Poor A.J learned a tough lesson today...LOL
    So Mr Berry slurpper was trying to beat me to the blk caps and in his excitement tore up a ......Bumble bee nest. Sorry poor boy but it was funny even as I ran a way and he passed me tail tucked. The first sting had him jump and snap . Then hahaha all I can describe it as is the scat man doo scene from a movie. Him hopping and snapping and his feet were like running in place making those bumble bees pretty mad. Angry enough to chase us...bumble bees do not normally act this way. Well we returned later because the Gator was parked there. He happily sat in the Gator as I tried to finish picking that area. At least6 Bumble bees busily trying to fix the entrance to their home. Moving around leaf litter in their mouths not giving me a second thought. Then again, I wasn't dancing on their house...lol

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife had a Great Dane that was a berry eating machine raspberries and blueberries. She was a fruit dog the chihuahua prefers veggies.

oldnotdead likes this.
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Got home from taking grandsons and DIL to the park. Hopped in Gator to go pick garden. A.J jumps out side,door and dashes into brush ahead of me. Pulls this out ,his 4th this year and in two shakes and about 2 mins it was dead. He's a ground hog killing Machine! Never got bit this time..learning

20220727_144704.jpg 20220727_144659.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    ash d, cantexian, JeffC and 1 other person like this.
  16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    he will be very handy if/when the Lights Go Out.

oldnotdead likes this.
  17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well A.J did not save all my peas but most. She was having a field day in there AND. .moving right in cheeky B---ch!

20220727_151922.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Popped up in a memory today, brother was watching him while I was down in MO. canoeing 5 years ago.

Probably the best picture of him ever...

FB_IMG_1659152057774.jpg

ash d, TJF and JeffC like this.
  19. Joe Soil

Joe Soil Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    ash d, TJF, JeffC and 2 others like this.
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to get another chocolate chessie cross, but wife and I agreed no more dogs. We want to be able to go places and not worry about dog sitters. We do not vaccinate our dogs so boarding is not an option.