The Good Dog Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cml5895, Mar 7, 2019.

1. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1st shed of the year. It wasn’t a hard find for him. Picked up this little Hellian today. Had to pick up some toys for him at the store almost got a little teary eyed seeing some of the toys I used to buy for Tank. I know it hasn’t been more than 2 months but I feel we needed another dog. It just seems to make the house complete. Let the sleepless nights begin. It’s an Australian Cattle dog. 1st time in almost 20 years we haven’t had an American Bulldog. We are waiting for my daughter to get home Friday to decide on a name. 9193AE6C-519D-4587-97C8-FC23889059F5.jpeg

dnoodles, TJF, JeffC and 4 others like this.
  2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats ash d!

ash d likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Our youngest dog that is a product of the other 2 dogs is in heat. All dogs are banned from the house during this 2 week period, they are locked in the dog room and hate it. Yesterday the neighbors dog Frank the pitfall mastiff cross thought he would give Gerty a sniff, she turned and went off on him not only bit his cheek but shook and drew blood. Had to walk Frank home and say sorry the little 12 pound dog drew blood on your 100 pound dog.

TJF and oldnotdead like this.
  4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spent today shed hunting with Roscoe.
    Am certain ( it'll be his last year) doing so.
    Had to help him get unstuck from a pile of river piled debris and 2 times from ice he fell through and couldn't power out.
    He's now laying close to the woostove after eating a good meal of old venison. Snoring.
    My once unstoppable dog has hit the point I really have to watch him.
    Love him.

oldnotdead, GregH, dnoodles and 2 others like this.
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!
    I'm not ready yet.
    Our goldendoodle is doing OK without her buddy OTTO. Her personality has changed quite a bit tho. She sleeps a lot more.
    My wife and parents have been sending me random old short videos of OTTO. He was so damn funny.

Take all the videos you can of them. You forget more than you would realize. Wife sent me one from a couple years back when I was gone hunting, where both dogs were on the couch, OTTO is on his back trying to sleep and Scout's tail is wagging in his face and he is complaining. He could almost talk, I am not kidding. We called it 'grumblepussing', when he was irritated or complaining he would moan and groan and kind of growl at the same time. He kept pawing at Scout until he had enough and rolled over and bit her tail, then it was game on and full on brawling.

I was dying laughing.

TJF, JeffC and oldnotdead like this.
  6. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the reminder, will administer right now.

GregH likes this.
  7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A.J. is now acting depressed. He had a couple of whoopsi' s on his dog bed but seems fine now. Not being able to go out and run with me is really starting to bother him. Doesn't help the weather for here has been a tad brutal. You and play fetch in the house so many times until it's seriuosly redundant.
    Temps are just starting to go up a little. Today a high of 34. Tomorrow 40. Thursday 70 . I'm hoping this keeps up at least until Friday so I can enjoy my Birthday taking a walk with him.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    TJF, JeffC and GregH like this.
  8. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to find something positive I can post about this little Hellian. Absolutely the most bitey dog I’ve ever had in my lifetime. It’s hard to stay mad at him though. He rarely lets you pet him usually it’s right before he is ready to sleep otherwise he is trying to devour you. We named him Achilles. 400612F1-1CB6-4B1A-8989-32AA87AF05FC.jpeg

dnoodles likes this.
  9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My female Pitbull was like that when she was younger. That 's how she would greet you, by gnawing on your hands. She finally outgrew that but I think it helped if we did something she liked such as a good butt scratching above the base of the tail. It distracted her so that she'd just stand there and enjoy it. Of course she'd go back into piranha mode when you stopped!

Good luck

oldnotdead likes this.
  10. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well since there isn't a Thread titled " The Good Other Pet Thread " and I didn't want to start one. We had to put Sparkles down today. Yes he is a cat but he may have identified himself as a dog. We will run with that. He enjoyed reading the newspaper on Friday nights. I always suspected he got a kick out of the adventures of Marmaduke.

sparkle reading newspaper 1.jpeg

Last night I picked him up to cuddle, pet and tell him what a great boy he was for the last time. It was a very emotional 8.3 seconds of him getting pissed and clawing his way out of my arms. He was not a cuddler. He was a d@mn good cat otherwise and will miss him.

20200213_202231.jpg

Sota, ash d, dnoodles and 2 others like this.
  11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What was his ailment?

Talked today brother in minot.
    Buried in snow.
    How bouts you?

12. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He was 19 years old and just old age. Still ate like a horse but was losing weight. 12 lb cat a couple years ago. Today he weighed 6.1 lbs.

oldnotdead, GregH and dprsdhunter like this.
  13. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    oh and we only got 10 inches of snow. They got a lot more out in Minot.

14. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pets are family, sorry for your family's, loss.

dnoodles and TJF like this.
  15. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your cat. I had one that only liked me. She got cancer and died at 13. That wasn't a fun day.

My wife has a couple of brothers (cats) that aren't quite 2 and according to her they are a-holes. Man, they get into everything and think they rule the house. Actually, they do. They make me laugh and I enjoy them. For being twins they sure are different. One weighs about 8 lbs and the other about 15 lbs. The skinny one is the most agile, can climb, run and jump like a wild monkey. I have seen him standing on top of an open door. I don't know how he got there. The other one goes toe to toe with our pitbull. She got too rough with him yesterday so he bit her in the chest until she yelped. That ended it right then. The dog didn't want anything more to do with the cat. It would be nice if they eventually calmed down a bit. One can hope.

TJF likes this.
  16. OmarLittle

OmarLittle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your cat. I had to put my dog down 7 weeks ago. That was the hardest thing I've had to do. She was my best friend for 13 years. There will always be a hole in my heart that will never be filled

[​IMG]

ash d, GregH and dnoodles like this.
  17. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss OL, yes they are the best family member we can ever have. Welcome to the site.

dnoodles likes this.
  18. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    She is a nice looking dog. Sorry for your loss. We had to put the wife's dog down this year also so we feel your pain. The house doesn't seem the same anymore without her. She was also 13 years old. I still miss the first dog the wife ever got. She was a sweetheart. She died in the mid 90's. You never forget a dog or not miss them.

19. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your families loss. Man it's been a tough few years for many if us here. I'm grandma sitting the daughters two old girls. One is in congestive heart failure with many cancerous tumours having been removed she lost a toe this past winter. Lots of coughing but she is still eating and going for walks. Today was tough with 84 ° weather. I honestly think they were hoping she'd pass when she was here. They said to bury her on our land if something happened.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    dnoodles and TJF like this.
  20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    damn...
    been exactly 2 months today since OTTO passed.

Our other dog Scout has changed a lot, she sleeps all the time and isn't eating nearly as much. She might active for 30 minutes per day and she's only 3.5yo.

They used to play/fight all the time together, 20 minute stretches at least 2-3 times per day inside plus the regular walks and time outside in the fenced yard just effing around.

We're going to get another one, just aren't there yet. But soon.

oldnotdead, JeffC, ash d and 2 others like this.