***The F8ful 8 - Team 8***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by drath, Aug 15, 2016.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm good with that, better than anything I had envisioned. I liked the name, but had no idea where to go with the image to go with it.

Think you coud make that image into a sig banner size and maybe crop the f8ful 8 name into an avatar size?

2. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you did that in 15 minutes, I'm the wrong person to be doing the graphics for this team. I'm more than happy with this and more than happy handing over the job to Ghilie. Nice Work!

-D

3. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad everyone likes it! I'm resizing it now and I'll post the links shortly.

4. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here you go! Let me know if anyone has problems with the sizing. They both should be the correct size.

Signature pic -->[​IMG]

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mailbox was empty again today, waiting on word from the DNR whether my crossbow permit will be renewed or not.

Tore my rotator cuff last July 4th, due to slow times at work and an insurance change thanks to obamacare I had to cancel PT. Tried pulling back a bow last month and can draw, but my hold time isn't what it should be and I get unsteady pretty quick. Hoping it gets renewed, but if not I will probably just buy a low poundage bow and shoot at 50lb or so and be very selective with shots.

Either way I have good feelings about this season, have some bacon wrapped straps thawing now. 5 weeks until season opener. Temps will dictate my early season stand time, hopefully get some good cool shots this year.

6. Z7hunter

Z7hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everything looks great guys! I can edit videos, but i am no good at photoshop. Going to try for a buck this friday. Most of the boys are losing their velvet now and starting to polish those antlers. Here are a few where i will be hunting.
    13669076_1022336797880822_7435399926090933371_n.jpg 13873049_1037159439731891_2355746206193494409_n.jpg 13962710_1045023528945482_2322242182444680762_n.jpg

7. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on the permit CLS. I have a such a hate for crossbows up here in New England. Let me preface this by saying I don't care what weapon someone wants to hunt with. Whether it is a recurve, spear, knife, crossbow or blowgun, as long as it is done in an ethical manner. They made crossbows legal for everyone in 2013 here in Connecticut. With this new law came an influx of what would be normally gun hunters buying crossbows for the longer season and extra tags. These crossbow hunters then invaded the "bow only" public land. Previous to the crossbow law I would see a half a dozen other guys hunting this 800 acre piece per year. Post crossbow law people would set up within hundreds of yards of the areas which I spent years learning. Guys would walk around covered in blaze orange head to toe making drives acting as if the crossbow was just an extension of their shotgun season. Basically I don't hate the crossbow, I just hate what has come with the introduction of the crossbow down here. Sorry for the rant, it is just such a pain to deal with here.

8. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a bummer Ghilie. I do appreciate your rant though. You're smart enough to know that it's not the weapon but the hunter. But I do think you would have the advantage over those guys since you know the woods and you know how deer react. I grew up doing deer drives because that's all I knew. I would spend one week in the woods and that was the extent of my knowledge. I picked up a bow in 2009 and I'm just now starting to understand how to pattern and kill mature bucks. I'm thinking you have the upper hand against the crossbow drivers.

I've been hunting at a guy's farm from church that owns about 100 acres. The only problem with it is that there's no corn fields or soybean fields on his property or near his property, just pasture for cows. However, just this morning I acquired another 200 acres to hunt from another guy at church! It's a dairy farm that has soy beans and corn on all of its borders with a few patches of woods in between. I'm thinking those woods will be some awesome traveling routes for deer. My only problem is I only have a month to scout it and get ready. But the beauty is only one other bow hunter is out there!

9. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was getting to the point where I was seeing more people than deer. There was a direct correlation between seeing other hunters and less deer. I don't think most of these guys put to much thought into their entrance and exit routes which in turn threw a lot of deer off their normal patterns which I had learned. This year I have taken a slightly different approach to my scouting in going after the little tucked away nooks and crannies that I know there will not be anyone else in. Fingers crossed the work pays off this season.

Jeez man a 200 acre dairy farm sounds amazing! A month is plenty of time. Start dissecting that property online and make a game plan to run some cameras in there. Two to three weeks of running cams should give you a good idea of general movement and enough info to get a few stands up before the season opens. Keep us posted!

10. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    CLS have you tried youtube for any PT work on your shoulder? I messed my shoulder up January of 2015 and had to do some recovery work to get my rotator strengthened. A month ago I separated my shoulder and wasn't able to do much. Started the exercises I was doing last year and within a week it has really improved. Just a thought. Hope you get that permit. Have you bought a crossbow yet?

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I occassionally do some stretching with the bands they gave me when I was going to PT.

As for the crossbow, yes, I used it last year as well.

I really don't care for it though. It is rather awkward and bulky. It's not as easy to hang or reach for and get into shot position compared to a regular compound bow. It hangs vertical but shoots horizontal so it takes a bit of movement to lift it then bring it up to shooting position, especially with eyes on alert :lol: Keeping it on my lap is a little better but still uncomfortable.

12. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well. The small new spot I was excited to find surrounded by private land yielded next to nothing. With the difficulty to get in there and sporadic deer movement at best, I think I'm going to pass hanging a stand in there. I'm going to keep it up my sleeve for later in the season when the deer may transition into this area after being pressured.

So... What is everyone shooting for a bow?

13. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
  14. Bcowg

Bcowg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Opinions on these guys??

15. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say they are deer. Bucks most likely unless a doe when through one doozy of a thicket.

Joking aside, the first two pics look like a shooter in my book. The last one is borderline for me. Good potential.

Then again and after closer examination...is 2 and 3 the same buck?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  16. Bcowg

Bcowg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They sure could be the same deer

17. twmessmer

twmessmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't second guess shooting any of them. I'm shooting a Matthews creed xs.

18. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bcowg, great bucks man! I personally wouldn't hesitate on either of them. I'm pretty sure 2 and 3 are the same deer.

I'm shooting an Elite Energy 32. Second year with this bow, absolutely love it.

19. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on my second year with an Elite Synergy. Absolutely love that thing.

20. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Currently shooting a PSE Bow Madness XS, but just landed on Mathews' pro staff so I'll have a Halon 6 shortly.