***The F8ful 8 - Team 8***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by drath, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting all day tomorrow and sunday morning. Hoping I can kill a sika deer. They are a pretty cool non-native species of deer.

In case anyone is interested. Sika Deer

2. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was gonna hunt in the am but a buddy of mine shot a doe and needs help finding her. He's hunting with a recurve this year and had a doe at 25 yards but hit a little back so he's waiting. Hoping we find her!

3. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    Had some great action this morning. Shot a small doe and missed a really nice 6pt stag.

Attached Files:

4. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go hammer! I'll be hitting the stand Thursday-Saturday. Looks like a cold front will be pushing in here for the weekend. I'm pumped!

5. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    Posted my deer and two picks. 50 more points for us.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Hammer!

Confession time, I haven't even bought my tags yet. Bought a small boat opening day and have been fiddling with it, had a few cool morning the past couple weekends but really don't see myself getting out until Halloween weekend.

Took Halloween day off, then have 3 days at work and my vacation starts on Friday the 4th.

I've burned myself out in the past couple years and wamt to hunt all day when it really is beneficial to do so.

7. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    It's hunting and it's a hobby. None of us are getting paid for this. Have fun when you get out there.

8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Picked up my tags this morning, pretty much have everything else already.

Whenever that itch presents itself I can scratch it.

Looking like the potential of a pretty good cold front/low pressure system Halloweeen weekend, might be a bit windy though.

9. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    Off to Colorado tomorrow! I'm beyond exited. And the beautiful part is this keeps me out of the woods in Ohio til the first week of November. I tend to over hunt spots and educated bucks early season. I haven't even seen a buck yet in the 4 times I've been out so I'm also exited to get back and see what deer are in the woods during the rut. Good luck guys. I will let you know if a big bull falls!

10. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    What part of Colorado are you hunting? Is this a DIY hunt?

11. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    Units 77 and 78 near Pagosa Springs. Yes it's a DIY hunt. It's my first year however my cousins have hunted there several years and had some success and I'm meeting them there. Also got a guy who's been all over Colorado and has killed quite a few elk over the years meeting me out there as well. I landed in Denver an hour ago. My flight to Durango was delayed about 2.5 hours so I'm sitting here itchin to get there!

I'm going in with high hopes but realistic expectations. It's 2nd season. It's warmer than it needs to be. And the elk are gonna be back in a ways I'm betting. But that's why they call it hunting. And I'm just pumped to spend a week in the mountains enjoying God creation.

12. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    Have fun out there. Should be some awesome scenery and hopefully they are bugling a bunch for you. What gun did you take with you?

13. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    30'06. So far it's been fun. Set up a drop camp up near a meadow. Hiked up to 9600 feet today and found a ton of bull sign but it's so stinkin thick and steep up there. Gonna stay up on this mountain another day or so. Saw a 15 cows and two legal bulls a day before season but they are holed up on private land during daylight.

I'm just happy to be sitting here looking at a meadow at the base of a mountain. Here's my view. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1477179025.667678.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1477179060.887517.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1477179088.464790.jpg

14. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, finally will be heading out on my first bowhunt of the year. I've just been so busy and the weather has not really cooperated up until now. It should be low 40's tomorrow morning and I will be out there!

I did manage to hunt with my father on Saturday for muzzleloader but no luck there.

15. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    Yea Slider weather has been on the warmer side. And Saturday it was really windy. I did have some luck while Sika hunting. I saw this stag running across the marsh and I put myself in a position to cut him off. Made a nice shot and am really happy with this kill. Wish it could have been with the bow but love hunting with the muzzleloader too. IMG_20161022_115939539[1].jpg IMG_20161022_134614703[1].jpg

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

I am only a few days away from starting my season. Definitely an all day sit Halloween day, hoping to get a sit or two in Fri/Sat/Sun. After that its 10 straight dark to dark sits starting on the 4th.

17. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well. Saw over a dozen deer Monday including one mature buck on his feet. He was at least 150yds+ away. Plenty of does. It is currently snowing and sleeting outside right now. Sure feels like the rut is just about here!

18. Z7hunter

Z7hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. Sorry I've been absent but been hunting hard for a while and still trying to get one. On my way to Illinois to hunt this coming week so hoping my luck will change.

19. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. I'll be after whitetails the rest of the year...with the bow that is. Things are starting to get cranked up near me.

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Going to be warm early week, but the 2nd half of the week is looking better. I start my vacation on Friday and hoping it is ramped up by then.

Had my first sit of the season this morning. Seen 3, 2 small ones, mama doe was just a hair bigger than a fawn and the fawn was even smaller at 15-7 yards, then had a spike/fork about 40 yaeds behind some shrubs.

I have a feeling for this year, going to be super selective the first half of my vacation and hopefully it pays off.

Good luck everyone, it's almost here!