the "Chuck Norris" spike buck-(one read)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by short69, Nov 9, 2014.

1. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's 7:30AM this morning, I get a text from my son-He just belly shot a spike buck and hit his bow on the bow hanger and his day is over.[​IMG]

15 minutes later I see him walking down the path behind me on the way to the truck. He says " I just spooked one" Then he starts texting someone. I happened to look about 50 feet up the path he was headed and there stood a young spike buck. Turns out he was texting me to let me know he was having a staredown with Bambi. I drew and waited for it to take 2 more steps. After a handful of seconds I let fly. I gathered my stuff and got down-blood everywhere. He is like a tracking dog- so, it's been a few minutes and we take up the trail. We follow for about 150 yards and see the deer walking up a bank covered in blood-so we backed out and went to get his bow repaired/checked out (Strictly Archery in Shorewood IL. is fantastic) I gathered the family and after we had some breakfast we hit the woods. I was impressed seeing my wife and daughter helping blood trail a deer. After about 30 minutes my daughter found him lying in the bottom of a steep ditch. Turns out, my son was having a staredown with the very deer he had shot 15 minutes earlier. which I then punched a hole clear through. It just didn't want to give up.
    It was great family time in the woods.[​IMG]

2. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck. Hope the bow isn't in too bad of shape.

3. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's fine, they restrung it and retimed the cables. He says it shoots better now than when he bought it.

4. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now that is family team work !!!! LOL Congrats on the buck and I hope your boy gets another crack at one !!

Tim

5. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice to have the family involved, congrats on the buck

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats

That image of the string wrapped around the bow hanger while unfortunate is a good reminder for all of us. I guarantee that image is burned into a lot of our minds now.

I've thought about getting one of the self raising ones that use a piston. Might rethink it again