Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Champs, Team 6 - Tineacious

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well this morning the deer were moving like crazy. This afternoon the wind blew like a mother, still saw deer but nothing close. Tomorrow looks great on paper hopefully it pans out.

2. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is what I saw Saturday. At first light I saw two doe moving off my left heading to the bedding area which is 170 yards ahead and slightly off to my left. About 7:50 "Player" the big bodied eight point pops out and I range him at 73 yards. He literally stands there, then walks a tight circle 3 times like he wasnt sure what to do. I grunted once and he looked my way. He finally walked off towards the bedding area, then a few minutes later he comes back and I ranged him at 67 yards. Stood there again and looked my way as I grunted then he noticed a spike buck which came in about 35 yards from me.

"Player" decided he was having none of this and chased him out of there then proceeded back towards the bedding area. I watched him through the bino's zig zagging through the bedding area until he finally bumped a doe and they took off away from me. Shortly after that a nice perfect rack tall/wide 6 point walked in at 47 yards. I grunted and got him to come 5 yards closer but could not find an opening to shoot. Nothing spectacular about him, 80-85 class buck but he just had the most perfect rack I have ever seen on a 6 point.

The 6 point worked his way towards the bedding area and I lost sight of him. Had a doe fawn come running out of the bedding area then walk past my stand, matter of fact she was so worried about what bumped her she was walking forward looking back. She almost walked into my stand. Sat for another 45 minutes and saw nothing, got down and moved the climber 30 yards closer to the trail I noticed all the deer coming off of which led to the bedding area. Then the incident happened which is noted above. I was actually lucky that one of the arrows that broke did not stab me.

Saw nothing in the evening out of the same stand, wonder if it was due to Mr. Thomas grandson and friends squirrel hunting 600 yards from me..........lil punks))).

Tony, I did not see your text or phone call until this morning, I was out in garage fletching arrows until late lastnight .

Colby, No before you ask, the spike buck was not a legal buck, he had I guestimated 1.5 to 2 inch spikes))))

Next hunt may be this coming wednesday afternoon unless the Doc puts me in a cast that morning. If so, my season is over according to the wife, or so she thinks, wink wink.:evilgrin:
    Dave

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  3. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone gone? Guess I am all thats left of Team #6..........................let's go gents.

Dave

4. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Sat this morning but didn't see anything to speak of. What I did see was a continuous parade of road hunters, 13 in all on a road that might see 1-2 vehicles on a normal day. Only one truck driving normal speed, my dad checking cows. It is very frustrating to know that it is standard operating procedure for rifle hunting in nebraska.

5. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, back to the real world after hunting the last 5 days. Sitting here having a huge backstrap sandwich:D

I took my 3rd deer with the bow, a big, lone doe. Once I saw she wasn't being followed, it was too perfect for me not to smoke her at 7 yards.
    I had a huge 8pt walk by me at 45 yards, he wasn't stopping and I just wasn't comfortable with stopping him for the shot at that distance. Saw several smaller bucks cruising, but that's about it.
    Super windy conditions are really putting the hurt on our rut over here.

Stay after them gents!

6. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Boys its time we put some more deer down! I spent my weekend shooting my bow packing my bag and getting new arrows, a bow hanger, and borrowing my girlfriends heater body suit.

I made deer jerky earlier and am currently cooking some deer meat, dove breasts and calf nuts. Basically the supper of champions.

It's about game time in t minus 5 days its fixing to rain deer and not santas kind.

TEAM 6
    TINEACIOUS

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

7. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up hunting our final day of 1st gun season today. This morning I saw nothing from the stand. As I was walking back in at 11, I saw a small doe crossing a field a couple hundred yards away. I made a mental note of where I thought she was headed, and set my plan into action. I got into the area I wanted, but I saw no deer. All of a sudden she jumps up about 20 yards from me. I followed her in my scope, but I didn't get a clear shot until she got to 90 yards. I missed.

This afternoon, I climbed into the stand at 2:00. At 2:05, a 3 pointer walked directly under me, and at 2:11 the same 9 pointer I passed on the 10th strolled by at 20 yards. I held off temptation, and he got another free pass. If my bow was in my hand, he would not have been so lucky. I didn't see another deer the rest of the afternoon.

This was the worst first season we have ever had on our farm. There were 8 of us hunting, and we only killed 5 deer. We are usually over 10 on average. Overall, sightings were down big time for everyone in our area. However, my cousin did manage to put down an awesome 10 pointer. This may of been the same buck I saw Friday morning, but I can't be sure. He came chasing a doe by his stand early this morning.

[​IMG]

8. nybowhunter17

nybowhunter17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    saw nothing this weekend today i only heard 1 shot, i hate being a weekend warrior all the good weather happens during the week

9. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Starting tomorrow, bow season is open again until Dec. 1st-4th. Thursday is most likely the only day I will get out through the week.

We need to keep this lead. There are a few teams that will shoot up the leader board soon.

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been enjoying gun season ,boys ... let me drop a buck tomorrow and I will bring my bow out again ... so out of the 5 of us, we got 3 doe ... not real impressive, buit we will take it .. all cut up and in the freezer ....

Mine

[​IMG]

Brother (Slabcrappy)

[​IMG]

Nephew's (killed today)

[​IMG]

11. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    We need some deer down boys !!! I have this sinking feeling I will be done hunting for the season after my doc appointment wednesday. That means we will be one hunter down and one buck less for sure. Put those firecrackers away and get those bows in hand.

Dave

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No.......

13. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Well I start my new job next Monday....

Better pay, better benefits, and more chances to advance are a major plus......but, it will cut big time into my hunting time. There will be no more hunting during the week. This also means no vacation time next fall during the rut. It's going to be the first time I have been a weekend warrior in over 5 years....

14. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Scott! Too bad on the hunting but maybe it will just make you more focused.

15. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading out shortly, another great weather day hopefully the bucks are moving.

16. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Matt.

I'm going to try and hunt every chance I can this week. I might as well take advantage of this job while I still can. I may be able to slip in an afternoon hunt today and tomorrow.

17. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Matt hope you get some action.

Scott hope a big one comes by your stand this week.

PT put down the booms stick and shoot a doe already!

Dave hope your getting healed up and not in too much trouble with the wife.

Will 4 days buddy

18. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Tony, you are a sensitive fella, arent you?))

Dave

19. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    PT I appologize I forgot to mention congrats on the doe. What kind of shot gun did you use? How far was the shot? I have fired a slug out of a shotgun maybe twice and found that i'm horribly inaccurate but that was just using the bead too. It seems odd to see a shotgun with a scope but here we don't have a shot gun season. I wish they would shorten our rifle seasons and add a shot gun season so the hunters have to be closer.

What drag set up do you have on her neck?

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Colby, I have been messing with Dave's mind all day :D

Thanks for the congrats ... the barrel is rifled .... 11/87 Remington .. copper solid sabots ... 15 yard shot ... :)