Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Champs, Team 6 - Tineacious

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Colb, HOW ABOUT THOSE DONKEYS!!!!!!!! John Fox needs to get out of the way and let TEBOW find the goalline!

That's a team playing with heart now!

2. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome final drive. It may not be pretty but Tebow knows how to win and finds a way.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

3. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is a bowhunting thread not a football thread))) Go kill something.

Dave

4. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do like how the donkeys are winning right now but Dave is right, go kill something!

Looks like I'll be hunting both days this weekend, had a friend call last night that needs to fill his doe tag with his rifle and his spot isn't working out. He is also my mechanic so a little quid pro quo is in order. While he slings lead I'll be across the farm hoping to sling an arrow. With that said NONE of my hunting friends around here have taken a buck this year. Generally at least 50% of these guys put one down, I'm not even getting many stories of them getting close.

What are you guys seeing as far as rutting activity? I'm seeing a lot of deer driving home at night but almost no bucks, what bucks I do see are little guys and for the most part they aren't even all that worked up. My head tells me that the first breeding period should be going or almost over but what I'm seeing doesn't seem to indicate that. I'd like to hear what you've been seeing and your thoughts.

5. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Matt,

We'll know more after this weekend. While I was in S.D. last weekend, I saw a slight amount of chasing (one broken horned eight chasing one doe), and only one scrape. For the most part, the big bucks I saw were still tolerating the smaller buck's presences. I had several sighting were does and fawns will still among spikes and forkies. The big boys were there too. So, my thoughts were, "They ain't there yet". One other thing I noticed, going backwards in time, the elk were really late getting into their rutting activity. If that's any indication, then the deer will start later than normal also... Let's see what happens this weekend.

Dave, yes. it is a bow hunting thread. But, the relevance is, "That's a team playing with a lot of heart now." I hope you didn't miss that portion. Yes they were ugly points, but they were points nonetheless. Just saying. Let's all assess and, if necessary, reformulate plans after this weekend.

Isaiah, we need to talk about when the Bears are here to play the Broncos. I know I will be in Arizona and will miss being at the game. However, my wife and kids will be there! I will send you home with a bunch of elk meat in exchange for a signed Hester cap for my daughter. She is such a huge Bears/Hester fan! We will just need to arrange a rendez vous.

Off to Missouri by 5pm......KILL!

6. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    only a few weeks off, no prob !

7. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Oh Will why did you have to go and say your daughter is a Hester fan? It may be a long ride to Nebraska lol.

Just joking thats awesome on both your parts Will and Isaiah. Hope your getting time to hunt buddy.

Will good luck in Missouri.

7 days

PT shoot a doe already. Good luck today buddy

Dave I'm going to laugh since you found your camo belt that now your going to piss your pants cause you forgot you have it on and can't see it when you need to pee.

Sounds like Clint is seeing some deer today I hope he puts one down.

Matt hope things pick up for you in Nebraska.

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Matt ... This last week I haven't gotten out muck, but I can tell you this ... the times I have there have been little to no movement ... I must be hunting the wrong spots ... once that 2nd week of November comes, my sightings go WAY down .. I am not even seeing little ones anymore ....

the wind has been pretty much SW the whole friggin season, sans a few days, forcing me into the same spots .... aggravated .... Gun opens tomorrow ...can't wait! Lord willing I will get a few down early with the gun and I will head out with my bow again ... I am off from today thru a week from Sunday ...

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah ....saw only foxes today .... called one in that didn't see me as I was walking out ... I drew on him and he caught me :mad:

10. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Got off early, going to head to the woods in next hour or so.

Dave

11. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck Dave hope you see some bone to put down

12. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Clint seems to be seeing quite a few deer he says he has seen 11 so far. A couple chasing but its pretty windy. He wanted me to tell everyone good luck thats out hunting should be a good weekend to be in the stand the deer ought to be moving weather it be from gun hunters or the rut. Cant shoot them from couch. Lets get some more points on the board.

13. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    I was in stand around 3pm. At 4:30 I had a doe come in off my right, she was in a hurry. Would walk fast and run a little for 10 yards and stop, did that three times and each time she kept looking over her back. She passed by on the 30 yard trail, I let her walk in the hope that a buck would be following. Never saw another deer after that.

I will be hunting tomm. morning, then take a 2 hour break then back for a p.m hunt. Colby I am sorry I was short with you on the text, I was hobbling out of the woods in the dark and trying to text you at the same time)) I apologize.

Dave

14. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Dave no worries buddy. I completely understand wasn't offended at all. Good luck tomorrow hope you get a shot a good buck.

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gun season!!!!!! Nephew just got in to start his 2 week leave from the AF .... gonna be laying some deer down with him, his brother, slab crappy, and my Dad ... so excited about tomorrow ... good luck teammates .. hopefully I will have bow in hand by the beginnning of the week n...

16. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Up and heading to the woods soon, let's get a move on gents. Almost forgot to mention a little info I got yesterday. When I pulled up at the property Mr. Thomas grandson was pulling out of the field from moving his stand again. He tells me there has been a white pit bull running around on the property and it charged his uncle the other day.

This should be an interesting hobble this morning, I think Mr. Gut and Skin knife will be in my hand until I am up and secured in my stand)))

P.S I am feeling all alone out here hunting freezing my rear end off)))) Let go folks..............chime in.......what is going on?
    Dave

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  17. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Will tell you later about what I saw this morning, on the way out I tripped over a log. Broke two arrows, rest and sight moved out of alignment and one of the arrows came out of the quiver when it broke. The broadhead from the broken arrow cut the pull rope for my rest. I just spent the last 2 hours at my workbench repairing/adjusting the rest pull rope on my apache dropaway, laser sighting in the sight to the rest and shooting. I am down to two Norway arrows so I had to go back to blazers since I have 6 of those.

What a crappy way to end the morning, quick rest/relax break and back in stand at 2:pm.

Dave

18. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My view walking out of the field tonight...

[​IMG]

19. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow is our last day of the 1st firearms season.

I sat all day yesterday and this morning and only saw 3 deer. Passed 2 young bucks early Friday. The neighbors killed 1 of them that afternoon, and got the other one this morning....the 3rd deer I saw was a 140" 10 pointer who was crossing a field when I was walking back to the truck. I pulled up on him, but couldn't get a good shot at him running.

This morning was a disaster, and one of the reasons why I tend to dislike gun season. Didn't hunt this afternoon for many different reasons...

I also found out some terrible news yesterday. Some may remember me talking about a piece of public ground that I was planning on hunting. I never made it up there yet this season however. Up until last year, I lived my whole life on the edge of this 2000 acre piece. I don't think there is a ridge or hollow that I hadn't walked at some point. I had some awesome little honeyholes away from the crowd as well, and me and the old man killed many, many deer (and some nice bucks) here over the years.

Well when I woke up yesterday morning, I noticed a strong smell of smoke in the air. I later found out that a large fire had started in the public ground on Thursday. I live 20 minutes away from here now, and you can still walk outside and catch the strong smell of smoke. The last I heard, over 1000 acres of state land has burnt, and a couple hundred acres of private ground. My brother in law is an Illinois State Trooper, and called to say he was at my old house, and could see the entire hillside on fire from the backyard. My best friend lives on the other side of the state land, and the last I talked to him the fire was a couple hundred yards from his house...fire departments have it under control on that side he says. At this point no homes have been effected.

I have a sick feeling thinking about what this area will look like. I have so many memories from this spot, and it is truly some of the most beauitful country around. A friend lost 2 treestands, but was able to get his trail cams out. Hopefully they get this under control soon, but with 30 mph winds through the night it's a long shot. Chance of rain tomorrow though....

20. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man I hope they have it controlled, that wind is NO good... The mountain I live on caught fire in 1998, In the winter time, you can still see what seems to be "scars" from the fire... but the mountain healed nicely... I could see the glow from my house... I remember getting out of school early because of smoke and ash. Not a good thing, I hope it's not too bad for you.