Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Champs, Team 6 - Tineacious

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Too late :busted:

2. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way past my prime bro.....................but this old dog has a lot of fight left in him.

Dave

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Had a fun night! I had a small buck come from behind me ... I head hium jump the barbed-wire fence and watched him com downwind ... sure enough, he smelled me ... but because of the rain he didn't really get a good whiff so he still came around, but he was on a mission ....

Then I get a text from Scott, Doe Down. Congrats, Bro!!!!

Then at about 5pm i hear 2 bucks fighting about 70 yards to my right on the other side of thick stuff ... I could not believe how loud it was ... I catch a glimpse of the one buck running off but it was getting dark and he ran away from my direction...

Just a little rain/ drizzle ..not bad ..... I will be out tomorrow morning .... should be snow on the ground, albeit just a dusting..

4. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL... Colby, I wish Dave was closer too! But Tony is right, he's too old to bring back. Word is, he and I are starting to fart dust!

Atta boy Scott! Congrats and way to stick with it!

Clint, I'm sticking with my prediction. You go boy!

I got a new phone, today, which allows me to see pictures and text messages better! Please get me in loop...303-434-2052

Any word from Reese, PT?

5. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Scott!

Put a doe down already Tony!! :D

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I talked with him yesterday ... he will be knocking something down real soon ... he described his spot to me and it sounds awesome .... don't be shocked if he puts down another double this week ..... he was dealing with severe winds yesterday and had to climb down and ground hunt ....

I am trying!!! These damn bucks keep getting in my way! Man did I do things backwards this year ...lol

I think I will get a doe in the morning .... feelin it ...

7. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Update:

Team 6 - 875 3/8"
    Buckmaster - 59 7/8"
    Buckmaster 50
    CowboyColby - 115 2/8
    FEB - 156"
    SouthernMDArcher - 50
    drenman - 50
    FEB - 50
    PreacherTony - 70 5/8"
    kshunter - 50
    Iamyourhuckleberry - 123 5/8"
    nybowhunter17- 50
    Scott/IL - 50

Get her Tony!

8. nybowhunter17

nybowhunter17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i sat today for two hours close to home on a friends farm saw a nice buck not sure how many points but at the least an 8 pointer he was 90 yrds oyt after i range found him i may hunt close to home instead of deer camp this wekend hopefully ill see that buck again!

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We need to get to quadruple digits by Sunday ... and then some .... that. 4 day break.was just what I needed .... loved getting out tonight and. I can't wait to go in the am and all weekend :)

10. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    NY sounds like a solid game plan congrats again on the doe the pressure is off you can take your time and get a buck an 8 pt sounds awesome good luck buddy

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

11. nybowhunter17

nybowhunter17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    whens the last day of the contest?

12. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    January 15th.... plenty of time my man.

13. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What an awesome day to be sitting in a treestand in Illinois!

I wake up this morning, and don't really feel like getting up. Yesterday was my birthday, and I stayed up a little later than I should have for planning on hunting this morning. I finally drag my butt out of bed, get ready, and make it to the stand. I don't see anything until after 9, and then all of a sudden everything just explodes on the hillside above me!

I first see a doe. She BOLTS by me at 30 yards. Then comes a spike and a fork, in hot pursuit. Following them is a little 6, and then a very respectable 8 pointer. Had the 8 stopped I'm pretty sure he would have gotten an arrow, but they are all bolting for this doe. The 4 bucks chase the doe, while trying to chase each other off. They stick around me for about 2 minutes before heading across a field. Then again at 11, I see another doe getting dogged by two 1.5 year olds.

My stomach got the best of me, so I head in for a quick bite, and to get my phone charged back up.

I'm back in the stand at 2:30, and check my phone. Tony is telling me to KILL. The spot I am hunting is the stand I hung a few weeks ago on the neighbors property. This is my first time in here, but I know from shed hunting, that the bedding area I'm set up on is a good one. When I hung the stand, there were 2 major trails I was planning on being able to shoot at. One to the south of the thicket, and one to the west. As I walk in, I notice a new trail is getting heavily used now. As luck would have it, it runs about 2 feet from my tree. Worse part is, if the deer come down this trail, they are eye level with me for some time, with no cover on this side of the tree....

I get my TVF Scent Volumizer out, and get settled in. 3:00 comes, and I'm actually playing Solitaire on my phone, when I look up and see 2 deer coming my way. I'm in a pickle though. I'm sitting down, and these deer are on that trail...eye level with me...at 20 yards. It's an old doe and her fawn doe. I check about 10 times to make sure no bucks are trailing them, and as they both go behind an old dead tree I'm able to stand. I don't even have time to fold the seat up, so the yearling offers me a shot I can't pass up. At 10 yards quartering away, I put the 125 grain G5 Striker, right where it needs to be. Blood literally just shoots out of her as she runs away...it was unreal. She ran 20 yards before piling up and rolling down the hill another 20. As long as G5 makes this broadhead, I will never use another.

I decide to stick the rest of the afternoon out. There are worse things to have in November, than a dead doe laying 30 yards from your stand....

At 4:00 I do some light grunting and rattling. I grab my bow look up, and here comes antlers. It's a spike though. He practically sticks his nose in the TVF scent and continues on his way. Right behind him though, is the small 6 point from this morning...he plays the role just the same as the spike did.

At 4:30 though, things start to get tempting....I look to my right and see tines coming to me. I see it's a pretty good buck. I am torn though. He is heading to my 15 yard shooting lane, but I'm not convinced he is "the one". I check him over with my binocs. An awesome looking 9 pointer. Absolutely nothing wrong with his rack that would of went between 115 and 120, but he is clearly only a 2.5 year old. With 4 days of vacation left, he gets a free pass.....for now. Let's hope this doesn't come back to hurt us in the long run.

I texted everyone I had numbers to about the doe, but I'm not sure who all got them. Everyone's other than Tony's came back telling me it couldn't be delivered. This side of the farm seems to be a black hole for cell service. So if you didn't get a text, sorry that's why lol.

I'll be back at it again in the morning. I'm not sure where I'm going to hunt at yet, but at this point with the bucks running like they are, no one really knows where one might show up!

[​IMG]

14. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Scott, so glad you are on the board, I know you've been working for it!!

15. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again... those Strikers are an awesome head... very underrated IMO..... It's all I use anymore...

16. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree.

I used Montecs from '06-'09 (with a very short experiment with Rage in there). I switched to Strikers last year, since the Montecs were a pain to sharpen. These Strikers are the best of both worlds. Scary sharp, and super durable. It actually is still buried in the opposite shoulder. I had to unscrew my arrow in order to get it out of the deer. I'm interested to see what it looks like when I quarter her out tomorrow.

17. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Scott,

Again, another great account my friend. As I turn in for the evening, I wish you could see the smile on my face. Your success today has done us all a world of good! You have re-ignited a fire!

I am glad you have seen the same results with the TVF scent as me. I've learned over the past three years to use it as close to the travel corridors as possible. Where's there's doe, there will be bucks-especially this time of year! I'm not so sure the nine will haunt you. I have a feeling something better is going to show up. You have broken the ice. Now it's time to slay a monster!

Slam him to the mat!

18. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scott.....................Your fawns are bigger than our average 3.5 year doe..................dang

Off to the woods on Veterans day for an old vet..............let us hope I do not have flashbacks and start shooting at everything in the woods. Oh yeah..........I only carry 4 arrows. Sustained winds of 20-25 gust to 40, got to love it.

P.S disregard everything I have said in the past..............I am obviously a dumbass according to some folks.

God bless and Thank you to those serving and who have served, I salute your sacrifice.

Dave

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, Scott ...AA huge congrats again!!!!

I also echo a BIG Thank You to all that serve or have served in our military ,,,,, heroes...

Ill be heading out into the winter wonderland that awaits me as I open my door. We have a fresh coat of white .. man I am excited .... then work this afternoon .... a Doe must die ....

20. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tony
    Don't trip while stepping out your door, If you do,Don't worry no one is looking lMAO. Have a safe day my friend.
    Rocky