Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Champs, Team 6 - Tineacious

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Couple of very nice bucks there Matt!

2. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good lookin bucks Matt!

Reese like I told ya earlier, big congrats. Just make sure you smoke another giant this year LOL.

I finally drug myself out of the house and out to the farm today. I only hung 1 stand, but I still need to trim some lanes and cut a path to the stand. I also got 3 of my cameras hung, so hopefully I'll have some pics to share next week. I hope to have all my stands up before September.

3. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like everyone has one thing or another rolling! Keep moving forward guys!

I'm currently sitting in the lobby of the Barrett Inn in Anchorage. THe caribou hunt was a success but not to the extent my group had hoped for. THe weather on the haul road was just too hot. The heat keep the bou from moving inward-into the swarms of bugs and off the windy northern coastline. Three cows were killed...

Full story with pics when I get home.

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward to it, Will ...

5. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    You guys want to see some bucks?

I let my 3 cameras soak for the last week, and with the rain coming in this evening I figured it would be a good time to get out and switch the cards on them. The 1st two cameras showed a lot of does and small bucks, but nothing older than 1.5 yrs. I had a little better luck on camera 3....

This first pic is one of actually 4 (possibly 5) different bucks in it, but only 1 posed for a good picture. It appears that 3 of the bucks in the background are actually bigger than the 8 point out front. They are hard to see, unless the picture is blown up..

[​IMG]

Here is another pic of the 8 point...

[​IMG]

And finally, a great looking 9 pointer showed up. He is definantly on the hit list for this fall.

[​IMG]

Will, I can't wait to get the full story, with pictures, of the Caribou hunt. Sounds like it was a great time!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  6. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Holy bachelor groups!
    I tried playing with the pic, but couldn't get a better look at the one in far right. He looks very nice, and the other closer one looks like a solid 10.
    Good stuff Scott!

7. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great bucks Scott!! Thats a slammer 9, can't wait to see what you put on the ground this year.

8. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice Scott...set one in your sight!

Boys, I'll tell you. The affects of twenty hours of daylight and being in Alaska has screwed with my biological clock! I am having a difficult time readjusting, and I am currently sleep deprived. I think part of it has to do with sharing this story too. So here goes:

For me, traveling north to catch a south bound caribou herd had its trials and tribulations. The motor home ride from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay, pure scenic beauty alongside the Alaskan pipeline, exposed me to 1800 miles of greasy dirt and frost heaved highway-40 hours worth. I made this trip with six fully grown men, our archery gear, and the supplies we would require for a week’s hunt. To say we were “tightly packed” or “over packed” would be an understatement. I endured rattle after rattle, washboard after washboard. I lived through cabinet doors and drawers being agitated open; the action dumped heavy and valued items everywhere. It was truly one pothole after another! Furthermore, I subjected myself to a “no more than 45 miles per hour” long haul (now I know why they call it the Haul Road) and a case of “shaken baby syndrome”, whereas I became the victim. At times, I simply shook my head in disbelief. The things we put ourselves through for a hunt, eh? At this journey’s end, I was definitely worse from the wear.

[​IMG]

Prior to this trip, I had made five do-it-yourself jaunts to Alaska pursuing a variety of game. This adventure was going to be, however, my first DIY Alaskan barren ground caribou hunt without the assistance of a “fly-in” transportation service. With bird’s eye memories from past hunts, I was eager to make comparisons...

We had passed several cow moose and calves browsing on our way north-very cool. But more than anything, I so wanted to see a grizzly bear. What I would give to photograph a large bruin! It never happened. The top of Denali was hidden by low clouds…trees turned to tundra at mile marker 235 on the Dalton Highway, also known as the Haul Road. A few miles later, we crested Atigun Pass. The search for huntable caribou began.

[​IMG]

It didn’t take long. We encountered these two and glassed a few hundred more on the distant horizon. The occupants of our RV were as giddy as school boys…for obvious reasons.

[​IMG]

At this point, we were all excited to stop, set up camp, and start our hunt! We were in the Arctic- hunting arctic slope caribou no less! We also realized we were going to be around for five days! We had seen caribou, and each day was going to provide us with 20 hours of huntable daylight. Could it get any better?

[​IMG]
    We knew our pot of gold was out there!
    [​IMG]
    It was just over the next hill...
    [​IMG]
    On the other side of that river! We stopped.

Camp was established near mile marker 96, just below Oil Spill Hill. The banks of the Sagavanirktok River (the “sag”) were a stone throw away, and rumor had it, world class arctic char, graying, and whitefish graced every pool. Something in me felt fly rods would be pitching to fly thrashers! I never imagined a few would take advantage of both fishing and hunting opportunities simultaneously!

[​IMG]
    Jerry Fletcher has been bitten by the outdoor bug in a real bad way!

[​IMG]
    We caught enough 14-16 inch grayling to feed an army! Naturally, most were caught and released but enough made it to the grill. Grayling is now officially on my favorite fish to eat list. Even in the absence of lemon and butter, this fish’s flavor cooked over willow coals and spiced with Montreal steak seasoning is fit for a king.

[​IMG]

We arrived on the first day well after 3 pm; five of us decided to inflate a raft and venture across the Sag. Again, caribou were on the horizon and it only seemed logical to go after them. I was quickly reacquainted with the difficulties of walking on spongy tundra. Making it to the distant horizon seemed to be an exercise in futility…the vastness, well it just kept on going. The outbound and return walk only made us more tired. The adrenalin of “just being there” wore off, and we settled into our racks for some well deserved sleep.

I spent day two guarding a crossing point on the opposite bank of the Sag. Earlier that morning, I watched five caribou cross the river. From my experience on past hunts, I expected more to follow. This point had its pro and cons. It afforded me very little range to glass the distance, but when and if the caribou arrived, they would be right on top of me. I was expecting short range shots. The rest of my group played the role of shortstop at various locations of their own choosing. Randy Huff had a caribou bed down near his location. He stalked within 13 yards and delivered a fatal arrow. The day drifted by and no caribou passed within range for the rest of us.

[​IMG]
    Doug Moreland stands guard at a crossing point.

I was up early on day three. Doug Moreland sounded the alarm when he noticed five caribou in the distance. The caribou were heading our direction and then decided to bed down. The vigil was on. When the caribou returned to their feet, they started straight for the spot I had been the day before. I ran as fast as I could to a high point on the west side of the river (revisit the photo of Jerry fishing. The high point I speak of is the dark green point about an inch above his head). Doug came with me. Neither of us was fast enough to cut off the caribou. Them swam the river and continued southward. However, that made ten caribou through the same spot on the river. I was beginning to connect the dots. I popped open my Montana decoy and set up shop. This new location gave me a commanding view, nothing was going through unnoticed. It also offered me some flexibility to move either up or down the river. Flexibility is critical when caribou hunting! Here's a view from my new perch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the Montana decoy I established behind my position.

Now keep in mind, my goal for this trip had two priorities: 1) I wanted to photograph flora and fauna, and 2) I wanted to merely arrow a caribou-any caribou. Please allow me to share a few photos (I love converting them into watercolors):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This Musk Ox walked 20 feet behind me, catching me totally by surprise. As I watched him ambled past, I had the wind in my face and remained completely motionless. He was thirty yards away when I snapped this photo. I seriously gave him the berth he deserved. The last thing I wanted was a startled charging bull.

Caribou number eleven (and the last caribou I would see crossing) came around noon. Here’s her approach:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is what greeted her when she arrived on my side of the river:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  9. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    She gave me a 46 yard quartering away shot the moment she stepped from the water. She barely had enough time to shake herself dry!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mission accomplished!

I judge my trips by this simple standard, “would I do it again?” In this case, the answer’s a resounding YES-minus the motor home! A 4x4 pickup loaded with proper gear (e.g. tents, coolers, chairs, camp ware, etc.) would have given us more flexibility and less expense. It would have made hauling the raft easier too! The raft is a must!

[​IMG]

As I age, I’m beginning to understand there’s nothing easy about hunting Alaska…fun YES, easy no-HELL NO!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, Will ... it is awesome reading about all your adventures and you are truly a tread sportsman ... Congrats yet again on another fine trophy, Brother!

11. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Will - Fantastic story and pics - thanks for sharing! You guys definitely earned your keep on that one...DIY in Alaska with some buddies, that's an adventure for sure.

'Bou are beautiful animals...

Nice start to your fall season - good luck the rest of the way!

12. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Will! Looks like quite the adventure.

13. Reese

Reese Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will thank you for sharing your adventures!!! Congrats on the bou my friend!!
    As you can tell I am living vicariously through my comp at work lol.

14. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent story and pictures Will. Alaska is definantly on my bucket list.

Congrats on the caribou.

15. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Will, great photos too!

16. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Will
    Count me in on your next trip to Alaska, I'll show you how to fly fish my friend,LOL. I'll even show you how to deflate a zodiac with one of my bad back cast's. This is a trip I've wanted for so many years. Love the story and the tundra pics and flora. God's country is a label for it huh! Thank's for the read!
    Rocky

17. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Spent a total of 10 hours hanging TWO stands this weekend. Both of these spots are in the nastiest cover imaginable, and cutting shooting lanes were a challenge that has me worn out. I do feel that come November these 2 stands have great potential to be kill stands.

Still have a lot of work to do before Oct. 1st, with at least 4 more stands that need to go up. Trail cameras didn't show anything but does and small bucks.

18. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Rockster,

Amigo, it'll have to be Canada for bou, eh? In Alaskan a non-resident alien (such as yourself) requires a licensed guide for caribou hunting. I think Alaska is totally missing the boat when they allow their local lobby to dictate stupid rules like this! Would you consider Newfoundland in 2013? Talk to me...

Scott, hard work pays big dividends! Yours is coming! Stay after it.

I shot up to Wyoming this weekend for a speed goat hunt with my younger sister. With bows in hand, we both arrowed bucks.

[​IMG]

Sadly, my sister's was hit a little high and he slipped away into the darkness. We tried to find him this morning and had no luck. Her shot was in perfect alignment with the goat's crease, but slightly high. I actually thought she made a good hit. We never found her arrow...or a blood trail. I spotted the antelope (small blood spot on his left side) still upright from about 700 yards. He simply motored away with the speed of a race horse.

19. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice goat Will, I'm seriously jealous.

I got to the woods today for a few hours, we moved a stand and checked cameras. There were a couple new respectable bucks but still no giants, pulled the cameras and will put them up at another property this weekend. The relocated stand is a awesome setup I can't wait to sit it next month.

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, Will! You are truly my Bowhunting hero :)