Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Champs, Team 6 - Tineacious

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fork buck came by at last light. No other deer sightings this evening.

Dave

2. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    PT I'm guessing 82 7/8

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

3. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After helping my sister move all day and night yesterday, and not getting to bed too early, I wasn't too thrilled by the sound of my alarm at 3 this morning. To top it off I had a terrible soar throat and cough.

I drug myself out of bed, and poured coffee down my throat like someone was going to steal it from me if I didn't. I was going to hunt a spot I call "The Rut Stand". I killed my '06 buck here, and it is just an awesome funnel area connecting 2 large bedding areas. I have not stepped foot into this area since shed hunting it back in March, and the SW wind was perfect this morning. I was in the stand over an hour before first light.

Well at noon, and after not seeing a darn thing, I gave up on the morning hunt. I couldn't believe it. This is a stand that ALWAYS produces at least some sightings. I climbed down and investigated a little around. The 2 major trails that run down below me are all but gone. It doesn't look like a deer has even traveled on these things in months. Scrapes and Rubs? Nada. This place is usually covered up in scrapes come late October...

I go ahead and take the 4 wheeler around to check my cameras. It's been a week since I checked them, and all that is on them is TWO deer. That's right...4 cameras scattered round...2 deer pictures...at dark...in a weeks time.

I'm not going to try to sugar coat this...I right now have no confidence in this property. 365 acres, and I can't seem to find a single deer for some reason. I moved some cameras around, and hopefully that shows something positive.

Heavy winds and rain canceled my hunt this afternoon. Tuesday or Wednesday, I am going to try to get an afternoon hunt in on some public land. Next weekend, I just may sacrafice 2 days of hunting to go check out that new property I gained access to last week. I was planning on just doing it after the rut, so I didn't lose any days of hunting, but right now I don't really know what my other options are.

It's nearly November in Illinois though...the whole season can be turned around at any second, and I have to be out there hunting in order for that to happen.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  4. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Scot, sounds like something is going on that you do not know about. 365 acres and only 2 pictures, that would make me wonder? Goodluck on the new spot. I am thinking of going to work today for half day then taking the rest of week off. Trends for the last 5 years is that I put my buck down in the first week of November.

I think I have a plan to use my climber to get to spots I want to try out. Anyways, goodluck to those hunting. Remember to check your gear folks, we have all been hunting hard and may have not noticed something went bad, came untied etc.etc.

Update: heck with it I am taking the week off. On a side note, I mentioned checking your gear. I was just looking at my bow and one of the limbsaver shock absorbers came lose and was down by the cam. If I would have shot, it could have gotten wedged in the cam with terrible results. Wow, is that like freaky I just post that ?

Dave

Dave

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  5. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dave,

What Aaron said on the buck. Don't worry about the score. Have fun! It's always good to turn it up a notch, that's all I'm saying. I'm telling you, the first good representation of the species 8 point I see while I'm out of state is getting it. That has always been my standard, And I see no reason to change. Have fuuuuunnnnnn.....Enjoy your week off!

I finished all my western hunting this weekend. I sent the mountain crew home with another cow elk, and Mr. Tony Sansalone hammered a 3x3 mule deer (pics when I get them, I promise). Four of us drove to Wyoming yesterday to attempt to fill out unfilled speed goat tags. We were greeted by racey animals, which wouldn't stand still for anything, and 45 mile per hour winds. Getting a shot under 350 yards was out of the question. In the end, one antelope came home with us. If my cousin would have shot a jackrabbbit, between the goat and the bunny, he would have had enongh material to construct a pair of jackelope slippers. I told him he could save ashtray space by springing the 48 cents for a stamp to mail his goat home. Good laughs were had the entire day.

I'm off to S. Dakota next weekend. It's time to get after deer.

Keep the faith Scott!

Good hunting everyone!

6. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Tony,

I came across this on this glorious morning. With all their effort, the little people just cannot out pull the beast! It reminded me so much of Team 6 verses the little people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD2gr0AsrAQ

Hard and steady wins the race. Keep pulling everyone!

7. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    So I can shoot doinkers?.........lol. Well I have been thinking of what my chances are for a good deer in my part of the woods. The big 8 I saw was more than likely a one shot deal. Down here in my neck of the woods the Bucks do not seem to get all that big, occassionally you do see one but that is rare.

The 115 2/8 I shot last year is average if not a little above average. Are there 120 plus deer here? Sure there are but I do not have access to those properties. Each year I struggle with when to take a shot at a buck in the hope that the next one will be bigger. This year the emphasis on that particular dilema is what has me worried. With having one side of the property mucked up and Buck sightings "other than doinkers" to a minimum, I guess I have a hard choice to make.

Basically what I am saying is that I will shoot when it feels right regardless if it is a sub 100 deer or over 100.

Yes, as the wife mentioned, I tend to worry to much about things out of my control))) The endless ramblings of a diluted bowhunters mind....HaHa.

P.S Tony we can start the 100 point club.............that way if I shoot a doinker you and me will have a clubhouse. It will be a small clubhouse but it will be ours)))

Dave

8. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Remember one year ago today? Can I be lucky again?

2010halloween.jpg

I hope))
    Dave

9. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Congrats Tony, I didn't get the pic on my phone , sorry about getting back in touch with ya. with no pic i wasn't sure if shot something or if it was someone els that shot something. Great job Tony!!!!!

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dave ... ROFL!!!!!

MUD .. Thanks, Chris! I am hoping to get a PA license next year so I can hunt with you again ....

This "Field and Stream" day was a bust for me ... apparently I was in the wrong spot ... I saw nothing ... gonna score and skin and butcher my buck tonight .... I am trying a brand new spot tomorrow ...TONS od scrapes ... I am hoping it is a hot doe area ... there is CRP a few hundred yards away and ALOT of scrub near by .... we shall see

11. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Boooooo...........I saw nothing. Sat in one of the stands on the mucked up side of the property. Saw no rubs.scrapes no deer prints or poo. Guess 3 weeks is not enough time for the deer to recover from the kid putting doe-in-heat scent out. Arggggggg

Dave

12. kshunter

kshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Tony way to get it done.

Will, glad to see you're back on the deer. South Dakota sounds like a fun time. I'm in for a muley next year, thank you for being so gracious.

Dave, shoot whatever makes you happy. We won last year by having fun with a great group of guys.

Scott, keep at it things will turn. I know in 2 weeks I'm going to start hitting it hard.

I went out Friday evening and didn't see any. Saturday morning I had 3 does slip by in the timber at 60yds. Didn't go out in the eve as I'm saving myself for the rut. If a doe presents an easy shot she's down though.

13. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Today was a great day in the woods... and I didn't even draw my bow....

The rut is on here for sure...I saw a Real nice 110"ish buck grunting and dogging 5 does,he never slowed down, he was wide open at about 50 yards... 3 spikes...(1 of which was after a doe) and couple of unidentified deer... It was an exciting day to be in the woods.

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    OK Boys ... here are the stats ... I thought y'all were being generous with your guesses ... I thought high 60's ....

Right Left
    Main 12 0/8 13 1/8
    G1 1 6/8 1 5/8
    G2 4 1/8 3 5/8

M1 3 1/8 3 1/8
    M2 2 7/8 3 1/8
    M3 2 4/8 2 4/8

INSIDE SPREAD 12 0/8

GROSS TOTAL SCORE: 65 4/8

15. SouthernMDArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Tony, you did beat last years mark so that is a plus. Only bad thing.................now we have to make a 115 club darn you))))

Dave

16. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tony, you get 4 H measurements... regardless off antler points... your missing one.

17. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to sneak in an afternoon hunt. Despite being frustrated by the lack of sign and sightings on our farm I headed out.

At 5:15 I hear what sounds like a freight train start moving down a very brushy ridge to my north. I follow the sound of leaves crunching, and finally I catch a glimpse of tines through my binocs. A 125ish 10 pointer stood in a small opening about 80 yards away. I rattled at him, but he just seemed to vanish. He wasn't what I set my goals for this season, but I was going to kill him if given the chance.

Again at dark, I catch movement coming from the same ridge. This time the antlers I see are coming to me. I finally make it out to be a small 3 pointer. He at one point stands directly underneath me. He keeps me in my stand about 30 minutes after dark until I finally heard him walk off.

This was exactly the type of hunt I needed.

18. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Scott,

30 seconds can change it all, as you have seen. We all have to be there for those 30 seconds. You were! Way to go! I wish I could hunt closer to home....am so envious!

Tony, simply awesome!

Clint, I'll be watching for you!

Let's run this pony to the finish line gents. Don't look back!

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Aaron was right ... I had two other Mass Measurements ... 2 4/8 and 2 5/8 ... new score 70 5/8"

So Dave, the 120 club is BACK!!!! lol

20. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I misscored my buck a little too... I'm sending Justin a pm to see if we ca correct it... I have 59 7/8" It should really be 60 2/8"

That could make all the difference in the world!!