Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Champs, Team 6 - Tineacious

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted tonight. I saw 3 does running across a field in the distance, but nothing else.

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing tonight .... all day tomorrow, Sunday night, all day Monday and Tuesday ... and then I have all the following week off ... ;)

3. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw nothing lastnight. I have two stands left that I feel have not been disturbed. Swamp north and swamp south, heading out to try again.

While I am sitting here waiting to head out let me say this: I apologize for the numerous rant post of late. I feel as if I have let you guys down. I made a decision early on not to shoot Doe with Fawns in tow and now it seems it has come back to bite me in the butt.

It has been a long frustrating year with the death of my Father and my wifes Uncle. Along with that my siblings "all in thier late 40's to mid 50's" have bailed on me and left me to deal with my mother and trying to sell/repair her home on my own. It seems since my Father passed everything I touch goes bad. Along with all that I got tresspassers, young guys pouring Tinks 69 all over the woods etc etc.

I dedicated this season to my Father and all you guys this year, so far I have produced NOTHING. So in a nutshell, I AM SO PISSED AT MYSELF. I have let you guys down, my Father and myself. The only thing that keeps me going is my mother "who lives with us now" reminding my father would have not let me give up. I am trying here guys, really I am.

Dave

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dave, you have not let ANYONE down ... quit beating yourself up!!!!!

So this mornings sit ... nothing until 10:20 ... I had 2 fork horns come thru ... coulda killed them both ... but I didn't! What is happening to me .....

Ten minutes later, a big doe and her two young ones got close enough for me to take a fawn, but no interest there either ....

I'll be heading out in a few hours for tonight's hunt ... I've got a feeling ....... :)

5. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dave, you aren't letting anyone down. In fact I would say you have really stepped up for your mom and I'm sure your dad would be full of pride seeing you do it. I know I'm proud of you for it, there is nothing more nobel.

Your hunting season should be your retreat, step back and take a deep breath. Something good is going to happen, I can feel it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fred done kilt himself a 12 pointer, boys!

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What a day ... so this afternoon at 5:30 I see a lone doe coming .. I stopper her at 10ish yards and MISSED!! It all happened so fast I rushed the shot ... then I got to thinking .. it may have been a BB, tho I looked for buttons .. she wasn't that big and she was alone .....

ff to 6:15 ... I look to my left slightly and there is a HUGE doe with another biggun and a smaller one at 15 yards ... no bow in hand and I was sitting ...stupid .... so I get my bow and slowly pull back ... she busted me .. that move will work on a 1 1/2 year old buck but not a cagey old doe ... I hope I am done with all these mistakes in one sitting ;)

So I broke my cardinal rule of never shooting at a single deer that is "average" size ... every time I have done that, it ended up being a BB

8. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Like I told you earlier Tony, I've missed them that close before, and I'm sure most everyone else has too. You'll get them next time.

Oh yeah, congrats on the buck Fred. From the pic Tony sent me, he's a good one!

9. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't wait to get the details on that Buck... He looks like a beast in the pic... !!!

10. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dave man you haven't let any of us down the only way u could do that is by never going out. You have stuck with it through some rough stuff and and are a great person for what you have done for your family. Now do something for you and enjoy your time in the stand. You deserve it buddy good luck great things are still ahead for ya.

PT it happens man you will be sucessful.

Sounds like KS saw lots of deer tonight and is going to nail a big un!

Did Feb get a score on his yet? Congrats man.

Sorry if I didn't text any of u back I was with the lady friend on her Mulie hunt saw lots of deer and some at bow range. She got a decent 5x5 with her rifle and a friend of hers got a huge Mulie.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

11. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Grats on the Buck Fred. Sorry about the miss Tony.............like I said in my text, atleast you had a chance to miss, better than not seeing anything at all. I Saw nothing lastnight. Reset the three treestands on the mucked up side of the property yesterday morning. Moved two of them in out of the way places just in the hope a lone doe will walk by. Guess I will try one of those this morning.

I am starting a "Bow walking service" "get your bow some fresh air" Seems all I do is take my bow for a nice walk in the woods))). This season has become laughable in my opinion but I also know one shot can change all that. Right now I am playing the percentage numbers, more time in stand I get I figure I eventually got to get lucky. Right? lol

Dave

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You are EXACTLY right, Dave ... I thought after missing that doe last night, getting down to find by oh so clean arrow, climbing back up in the tree, that my hunt was done ... that is why I was sitting and my bow was on the hanger with 10 minutes of shooting light left ,,, and those three doe caught me by surprise ...

It's NEVER over until it's over ....

13. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    I had a bad day today.

Bad Part #1...I didn't wake up for my alarm, and by the time I did wake up it was already 7:30, and well past time to make it to a stand.

So I called our neighboring landowner. They are good people, and the wife used to drive my school bus when I was in grade school. They had a spot I had found on a map about 100 yards off our propery line that looked promising. He gave me permission and off I went with a mission to tear down a stand then move it to this new spot.

Bad part #2...While checking my trail cameras, I somehow managed to lose my little digital camera, and all my SD cards in the case. Not sure where it went, but it's gone.

So I go to take the stand down. I saw some deer out of here last year, but nothing too great. I drive the 4 wheeler down the hill to where the stand is. I was going to just take it down, strap it to the 4 wheeler and be on my way. WRONG

Bad part #3...An hour later, I finally get the 4 wheeler out of the muddy creek it was stuck in. Im exhausted, I tweak a small muscle in my back digging the bike out, but it's not too bad, and I had a stand to hang still, so I went on.

I finally get to the spot I had found on the map. It's a beautiful looking area. A very thick bedding area to the north about 50 yards, and 2 trails running along the edge of it, and coming to a tight funnel right by the perfect tree. Another trail runs about 30 yards from this tree, coming along the edge of the hillside, and into the thicket. It looks to be a perfect spot to hunt with any wind out of the north. The buck I killed in '06 was bedded very close to this area when I lured him out of his bed with a rattling sequence.

14. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Fred! Can't wait to see pics.

Went out this morning but saw nothing, going to take my daughter out and sit in a blind this afternoon. Stay with it boys!

15. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wassup guys, just got home, still kind of in shock over this hunt. I never killled a buck this early in the season before, it was just one of those mornings!
    He's a tank of a deer. I'm glad he died on the field edge, cuz I wouldn't want to drag him 10 yards. Biggest bodied deer I ever bagged, and his rack ain't too shabby either :)
    I'll try to put a tape to him tonight.
    [​IMG]

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, that looks even bigger in that pic! Congrats again Fred! Wow!

17. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Fred......WOW!!!

The picture I got last night does not even do that buck justice. What a stud!

Great buck, and big time congrats man!

What's the story on the kill?

18. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :jaw: Congrats! That's an awesome buck!

19. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking 130's from the cell phone Pic... WOW WAS i WRONG!! Congrats Feb!!

20. kshunter

kshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow Fred that's a great deer! Congrats!

I went out last evening not expecting much. I bumped a nice 8pt walking in and 2 does. I barely had time to get in stand when I hear movement behind me. I rush to get my release on and an arrow nocked. Three bucks come trotting passed. The first was about 125 and the other 2 smaller. Had a few mores does come by the stand and then another nice 8pt and a huge forky. They wander off behind my stand. Two coyotes come by, I draw on them but can't get them to stop for a shot. They jumped the 2 bucks that bedded down behind me. Finally about dark two small does come by about 20 yards and keep looking behind me. They finally walk off and I turn to look at what they were. It was a huge doe. She was downwind of me but couldn't make out what I was. It must have been the blue jeans and sweatshirt that was throwing her off. I seen 18 deer on stand and 5 more while walking out. My brother in law and friend didn't see a single deer. On the way back my friend hit a doe with his truck. We got out to look at her and call the sheriff to tag her. She suddenly raises her head and is looking at us. I walk over and she stands up and tries to run off and ends up in the ditch. We walk over and she gets up and runs off. I think we hit her in the head and hopefully we just knocked her silly. So that was my first hunt of the year. Can't wait for the big boys to start moving.