Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Champs, Team 6 - Tineacious

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a solid plan Dave... you'll be back into em in no time... Good Luck buddy.

2. kshunter

kshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dave, keep a positive attitude and don't give up. The year I had my worst luck was also the year I ended up shooting my biggest buck. You are doing the right things. Think smart, hunt hard and never give up. The best deer hunters are the ones who are the most persistent. Stay at em and we will see you success very soon.

Clint

3. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Aaron, I've been there with the logging before, and it's no fun. We had to log some good sections of our farm in '08 and '09, and well it stunk. These areas are just now starting to become very brushy, and are offering some excellent bedding areas.

Dave, sounds like a great plan to me!

I did end up making it out tonight. I hurried and set up my Lone Wolf in a spot where I had seen a buck I was calling Windy last season. I got settled in around 5, and about 6 and started POURING on me. I quickly gathered my stuff, left my stand up, and started walking about to the truck. As I came to the field edge, I could see a deer feeding in a draw. I figured what the heck, so I dropped my pack, and brought only my rangefinder and bow.

I was able to cross the field, get the wind in my favor, and sneak inside of the woods into range of what ended up being 2 bucks. I popped back into the field at 40 yards from the deer. One was a little 3 pointer, while the other was a 110-115" 9 pointer. Both deer fed within 15 yards of me before moving on farther down the field. Pretty cool experience to be able to stalk up on them, but those bucks just weren't what I was looking for.

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    40-50mph winds and rain on Saturday ... looks like I wont get out until Monday, boys ...

5. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I figure I can finish painting him by next Monday. He's drying beautifully...

[​IMG]

Again, he is too impressive of a deer not to bring back to life. I have hunted hard my entire life in Colorado. I have never seen a deer this massive during that entire time.

Two more days Tony....you've waited this long. Don't shoot the first deer you see unless it's like the deer above!

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes Will ..... 2 more sleeps ... and they took the rain out of the forecast ... so it will be windy, both no rain ... can't wait.That buck is incredible, Will!

7. nybowhunter17

nybowhunter17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PT do think theres any chance of seeing deer staurday through monday i hunt near hornell?

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah! Because of the wind, I will be my late October, November stand ... I am confident tho as we didn't small game back there andbthere is some thick cover and a barbwire fence that they travel between the fields and cover ... I took 2 of the five deer I killed last year there ... we shall see :) can't kill them on the couch!

9. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Southernmdarcher........have you tried corn at all?

10. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    One thing for sure, you won't see them if you're not out there! Make it happen New York! Let the woods be your friend!

Ny, I got this one about 15 years ago, while hunting near Hornell, NY. It pays to be there!

[​IMG]

Sheezzz....I had more hair back then.

11. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Will..............awesome mount. Glad to see you got him back to the majestic state he deserves. I was tickled to death when you found the rack but now.......................WOW !!!
    Hunting: Decided to hit the north swamp stand lastnight "only stand I believe wasnt messed up". Had two doe come in but I screwed up, I was fixated on these two squirrels fighting with a possum off to my right. The possum wanted up the tree and these two squirrels wanted nothing to do with that. One squirrel was attacking from below and the other from above.

When the possum finally jumped down and ran off straight away from me I caught movement from my left. Two doe came in quick, could not move a muscle. They milled around for a minute then headed off. I was surprised I did not hear them earlier considering I had two feet of water all around my stand from all the rain. Anyways 10 minutes or so later here comes a spike buck, he milled around then headed out. Here is when I got excited, I saw what I believe is HIGHTOWER, the massive 8 point from last year. He is a monster 10 now and believe it or not he has put more mass and tine length on, he stayed on the hillside to my left for a few minutes at 60 yards then moved up out of the swamp into thick cover.

I do not have any cameras back in the swamp "guess what I am doing today"? Sat in stand until 45 minutes after dark to make sure I did not spook him as I left. Ever tried to walk out of a swamp in the pitch black and not using a flashlight? That was an adventure in itself))))

Dave/Hope to be the HIGHTOWER assasin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  12. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Oh baby, here we go...measuring success with the "I was there" tape. The rest will fall into place!

Dave, way to rebound, way to be there! Move forward, GET HIM! HIGHTOWER is about to be occupied! Maybe things happen for a reason, if you believe. And yes, WOW! For me, the mount is now a living "Monarch" and a testament to the apex predator who got him (not me). I hope it is cherished for many lifes to come.

At this juncture, I am reminded of a Mel Gibson quote from the movie Braveheart. Gibson, portraying the Scottish Knight William Wallace, says, “All men die. Not all men really live.” These words capture the spirit of life each of us should embody. For each of us, there should be defiance against the odds. We should press forward and challenge those things which are placed in front of us. In the end and by choice, isn’t it better to have been there, even if one comes back empty handed or with only a sighting (Aaron used his sightings and made the necessary adjustments)? We can sit on our couches or lay dormant in our beds “existing” for a while, or we can LIVE!

CHOOSE THE LATTER TEAM 6!

13. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll get a couple sits in this weekend have been waiting for the moon to change enough. Don't plan on too much excitement but ya never know. I'm super pumped for the 21st of this month I think that will be the best sit.

Dave glad ya got back out there and had some sightings. Things happen for a reason.

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ugh! Driving rain and 60mph winds back in the forecast : mad: ... I am thinking about waiting till Monday :(

15. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
  16. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on going out tonight and I'm pretty pumped as this will be the first time I've ever hunted from a tree. Crazy I know but we actually don't have that many trees where I hunt but after scouting some draws that come up out of the river the deer pass by 3 trees that will actually work to sit in. My harness came in yesterday so i'm good to go there. I plan on putting my Glen Del target buck out as a decoy to lure them in closer. We will see how that goes. They have about 1/3 of the corn cut to my south so thats good. I'll try to post some pics to show ya'll what it looks like where I hunt because I imagine its different from most of ya'lls that don't live on the plains.

Will that video was hilarious thanks man

17. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats great news Dave, good luck with him! Way to stick with it.

Colby have fun in the tree, it is definitely a whole different perspective, to me there is nothing better!

I'm not hunting at all this weekend, we are going to go down Sunday and cut wood for the owner of my main property. Hopefully doing those kinds of things help me keep my ground a few more years. I think my next hunt will be Wednesday and from then on I'll be in the tree as much as possible. I'm planning on 3-4 evenings a week and at least 2-3 morning hunts until the rut hits, then it's as many all day sits as possible. I've got 4 days off that are flexible with the weather as well as weekends.

18. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out now, Tony, you will go hunting................do make me drive up there and hunt your woods for you)))).

Dave

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Please don't make me go out there, Dad!

20. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    THAT"S THE SPIRIT!

I'm off to help two Kentucky boys drop bull elk over the weekend.

I'll show ya'll the pictures on Sunday night!

Good hunting everyone! Bust em good!