Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The Can

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by peakrut, Aug 24, 2008.

1. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you that will be using this let me know how it works out for you this coming season. I am also using this and I have had it work in the past.

Thanks,
    T

2. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had one work. Last year I used the can on a small group of does 80yds away and they turned and ran away!

3. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Andy ummm......you farted.

4. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had great success with the Can, don't ever leave for the stand without it.

5. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeh I watched it work last year for my buddy I was filming!! Walt

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The can has also worked on occasion for me as well.

7. Diesel77

Diesel77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%, Ive probably had better success with a can than anything else. I just bought a new can from a smaller call company, its the best sounding can Ive ever heard, period. Louder, longer call, no air hole to cover, its a really bad ass call.

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How are you going to leave us hanging like that? What did you get? :d

9. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    X2

10. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The can works well, I flush it and things I don't want hanging around disappear. :confused:

Ohhh THAT Can.

I have one. I have used it in the past with little success. Might try it again if the time is right.

11. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had luck with little guys, but in my general areas I hunt, it seems the big boys are pretty call shy over the last several years. Now give me a distressed fawn bleat and I'll put does all over me, especially in GUN SEASON, but that's not what I'm in the woods for. :confused:

12. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked one up yesterday. Im curious to try it out this fall.

13. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    When I usually use it I do quick short bursts not the drawn out type that it can do.

Andy fess up bro what can?

14. Diesel77

Diesel77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got it from a company I saw at one of the shows we went to, Grand C Calls. My own personal success has been mainly when Ive seen bucks, shooter bucks, nose to the ground on a mission, and grunt calls, snorts wheezes, etc dont even make them blink, one call from a bleat can and BAM! Stops them in their tracks and Im talking at least 75% of the time when they dont respond at all to grunt calls. I havent used this can yet during any hunting situation but when you hear this can against any other can its a no brainer. Like raceway said, I never head for a stand without one based on my own hunting experiences. I know you wont believe me but as soon as you hold the can in your hand youll know its a well built product. Primos cans do work, but have you ever had them studder or kind of skip when you flip them over, over not make the full baaaaaaah, just a quick bah and thats it? Well this can will never do that, and when your fully focused on watching deer you dont have to fumble to find the air hole to make it work. They make some kick ass turkey calls to.

http://www.grandccalls.com/Predator.htm

15. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did not! That would've been my grunt call!:deer:

16. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    right time, right place as with any other calls. have had one for a couple of yrs, & never had it work. I've heard others say it works, so we'll try again this yr. Any suggestions on exactly when is a preferable time would be appreciated.

17. wis_bow_huntr

wis_bow_huntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You know it bud it will be at the base of my stand this year in the Bleat Swing!

18. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Can, I've also never had much faith in it since I've actually heard an estrous doe bleating and it sounds 100% NOTHING like a can call. LOL

I think the can is just more of a general contact type bleat than it is an estrous call........not sure what it is but I've never heard a deer make that sound. Whatever it is too many people claim it works for me to completely dismiss it, it's just absolutely nothing like the doe I heard bleating to a buck in Nebraska a few years ago.

That call to be completely honest sounded EXACTLY like the new MAD "Heat Bleat". No joke it is a dead ringer for that sound she was making.
    Also the Can and the way they instruct you to actually use the Heat Bleat didn't sound like that doe either.
    The can and the instruction for the Heat Bleat are much to "plaintiff" and drawn out sounding.

The doe I had calling to a buck behind her was a very short duration call, maybe 1/4 of a second? It was just a high pitched single note "waaa"

No dramatics, no "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" LOL

She also did it roughly a dozen times with about 5 seconds between each one while looking over her shoulder and taking a couple steps in between.
    Just one note at a time spread out over time.

After the last time she did it the buck that was trailing her finally showed with a long drawn out grunt and then several more as he approached. As soon as she saw he was coming she stopped calling entirely.

It was extremely cool to watch and listen to at a range of about 15 yards. I do remember looking at my can later thinking "What the hell is THIS supposed to be then?"