The best place for archery elk hunting?????

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by reeladdiciton, Jan 16, 2013.

1. reeladdiciton

reeladdiciton Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new here and would really appreciate some advice on some of the best places for guided/semi-guided archery elk hunting. I have been searching the internet and its hard to choose a place without any real reviews.

What I am looking for is:

I am looking for a guided/semi-guided hunt. I would prefer a place with a base camp where we spend a night or too but I would really like to rough it in a tent or a cabin for the majority of the trip. I would like a place that we have to pack in either by horse or backpack. I want to hunt the rut when the bulls are the most active.

I'm looking to spend at the max $5000 and would have up to 4 hunters total.

Any advice on outfitters would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, wish I could help. I have never been on a guided hunt

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A little internet research never hurt anyone.

4. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is what he is doing. Researching through recommendations. Why even post that? Move along.

OP, generally speaking Colorado will afford the best opportunities based on population densities and land access. I know the bh.com guys went last year, though I am unsure as to who they used, perhaps someone can chime in?

Often times, a call to the States Fish and Game can lend you a serious step in the right direction. I can't help much more than that.

Here in MT our non resident prices are through the roof and are elk populations are down. I would look at either CO or WY.

Also, the forums on bowsite.com and elk101.com will afford you an incredible amount of info on planning an elk hunt out west. Kay even more avenues such and a unguided hunt.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  5. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Recommendations from from people on a website site like this, that he joined five minutes before he made a post and from people that he knows nothing about...good start. You gave him a couple states(hear me clapping?) that he could have looked up for himself in less time then it took to join the site and make the post. If he wanted reviews he could have found them easy enough. You missed your calling you should work in a kindergarten class as you seem to like hand holding.

DIY:
    How about this what units in Wyoming are tops for elk hunting? Try unit 7 or 58 but good luck drawing them it may take years.

Same can be said for unit 2 and 201 in Colorado...but you need a ton of points to get drawn. The one I would try for is unit 61....

For the amount you stated you could get 5k you can find a bunch of outfitters that can get you into decent areas.

6. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    And everyone is tech savy? The guy asked a simple question and you came on here acting like the cocky ******* that you always come off as.

If you can't help him take your attitude elsewhere.

7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Mother Theresa, where do I send my donation?

8. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    To someone who gives a ****.

9. reeladdiciton

reeladdiciton Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank those of you who had something intelligent and helpful say. I have been doing a lot of research on the net. I have also been in contact with several outfitters. I thought it would be helpful to get some imput from someone who had first hand knowledge of a good outfitter as all I have spoke with all have the common goal of selling me a hunt and it's hard to figure out who's legit. As you all know you can not believe everything you read online. Hell "trial153" would have you believe by his post that he is some sort of hunting GOD. Trial people like you never cease to amaze me. The truth is you have nothing better to do then sit around on the computer all day and make some smart a$$ comments to try to compensate for your incompetence. Maybe you have little man syndrome I don't know.......i really dont know why people like you get your rocks off bashing people online. Maybe sitting in the safety of your house behind your computer makes you feel more of a man. All I can say is get a life, get laid and lighten up. Life's too short.

Backcountry thanks for having my back. I figured most of the guys on here are like you. No matter what forum your on there is always some jack a$$ with something to prove.

Anyway now that I got that out the way.......

Is their anyone who would recommend a good Colorado elk outfitter who they have used before? I have researched several just wanting some unbiased input.

Thanks again,

Ryan

10. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Ryan, another feature I forgot to mention besides the forums on bowsite.com is the outfitter reports. All reports written by forum members, post hunt. Provides great honest feed back.

I will try to dig up some info on who the guys here used.

11. nwflycaster

nwflycaster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Ryan,

I'm not sure if I will be of much help to you with this as this will be my first archery hunt ever this upcoming September. I have however used the outfitter that I will be with 4 times before with my father for the modern firearm season. This will be for Wyoming in the Gros Ventre Wilderness area. They are a very small outfit, just a father and son, plus a camp cook and sometimes a wrangler for horse help. They are very good at what they do and I can't speak highly enough of them. Hoever as I said this will be my first archery hunt and I have no past experience with them for that. I do know he took a hunter for an archery hunt last year who took a 40 yard shot, not a well enough shot placement as it turned out to harvest the animal, but was told that right after he made the shot another bull stopped 5 yards right in front of him. He didn't know at the time yet that his first attempt was a poor one so he just had the excitement of seeing a bull so close he could have spit on it. The pricing I believe is $3500 for the week, maybe it was $ 3200 I don't remember off the top of my head. Plus he is letting me add in for mule deer at no extra charge, since we are returning customers. Then there's the tags, I put in for a special tag which was $1100. I know he fills his spots every year for rifle and likes to keep it to a max of 4 hunters in camp. On my trip, he is making it my dad and I only. I think this is typical for archery for him, but again I believe he is new to guiding for archery. My last two bulls with him have come from 50 yards and closer shots, and this was after the rut. If you have any interest pm me and I can give you his contact info. Or I will be posting hopefully an interesting read upon my return back home late September. It will be my dream hunt if I can get a shot opportunity with my dad standing by my side, that would be as good as it could possibly get.

12. JakeTheSnake

JakeTheSnake Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What state are you from? How good of shap are you in?

13. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What size elk are you after if you are after a non P&Y bull I have a outfitter in Idaho I can recommend what type of a hunt are you after?

14. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Forget it, the guy made two posts and left.