Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

The 450" club

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by Dickie Tunes, Mar 13, 2010.

1. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats pretty wild considering your big sheds come from the bigwoods of Canada..

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

I know. For a few years, when our deer population was very high, there were always a few 200"+ and quite a few 180"+ shot near camp. I honestly believe that if our deer population would have been managed correctly, we could have rivaled SK and AB with big bucks.

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dan, how was Ontario mis-managed? Compared to AB and SK.

I think Wis could be a heck of a lot better with better management.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    hmmm lets see here,

My biggest is 82 1/2,

My only other one is in the 20's lol. Im not getting anywhere near 450" yet

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

Over the counter tags and any non resident could hunt anywhere. There were camps up there charging $260 a week for a deer hunt and packing hunters in like sardines, with no respect for the resource. A lot of these guys thought they were going on a Canadian deer hunt where a booner lived behind every tree.....and when this wasn't the case, they would shoot a 1.5 or 2.5 the last day of the hunt to fill thier "ego". That can't happen if you are going to consistantly produce high quality bucks.

It would be like letting anyone hunt anywhere in Iowa and Illinois. After a few years......well you know what would happen.

Also, the wolf population was allowed to grow unchecked. Before 2006 you were allowed to shoot one wolf per day on a small game license. Now, you have to buy a small game license ($95) and a $250 wolf tag (non resident price) and are only allowed 2 per year. They priced it so high that very few people buy a tag anymore or shoot the damn things.

I also agree that WI could be a hell of a lot better. Yes, we have the top state for P&Y entries, but that really means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

6. BoneDogg

BoneDogg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I make it with my 5 biggest. All I have found!
    101-6/8"
    98-1/8"
    90-4/8"
    90-1/8
    86-3/8"
    --------------------
    466-7/8" add my 6th one (81-7/8")and I'm at 548-6/8"

All of these are whitetails.

7. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    way to go guys i cant believe some of the bones you guys have found this is freekin awsome , know lets see you guys post some pics. of your largest sheds...if you like give a little description of where and when you found it and how it looked when you unearthed it. if you had any history with the deer , if hes still alive or if some one you know harvested the deer. this should be really cool.......

8. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    You go first this should be good as I would like to hear about that huge rack you found last year and what happened to that buck.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  9. Dickie Tunes

Dislikes Received:
    Tony, not sure what happened to that buck no one ever surfaced with any sheds or a kill for that matter for all i know hes still wondering around out there. I do know for sure that there were alot of people putting the pressure on that deer this year. But unless someone killed him and is keeping quiet or has his sheds and is doing the same i would assume hes still alive. At least i hope he is anyways. AND I DIDNT FIND BOTH SHEDS REMEMBER TONY I ONLY FOUND ONE THE OTHER SIDE WAS FOUND BY SOMEONE ELSE WHO WAS NICE ENOUGH TO PUT THEM TOGETHER FOR THE PHOTOS.

10. Dickie Tunes

Dislikes Received:
    why cant i post pictures twice every time i try it tells me i have already used it on another post how do i get around this.

11. 14BOONER

14BOONER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    450" club

First time poster- my 5 best bones go 477" add #6 were at 560 2/8

12. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Booner! This is a great site with a bunch of great guys on here!

13. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From what I have heard he wasn't shot.

14. Dickie Tunes

Dislikes Received:
    I heard that as well but have yet to see the antlers. Im sure they will show up eventually they always seem to.

15. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure you will find them where they were the last two years, I have a good source that said a farmer spotted a monster 10pt. about two miles away in December when harvesting corn. Said it was the largest typical deer he ever seen, I tried to get on the property to shed hunt it but got denied. There is one guy that hunts the property and he never shed hunts:(

16. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I had heard he was a forest preserve buck but i guess during the rut and late winter when food is scarce they have to move.

17. Dickie Tunes

Dislikes Received:
    I was hoping someone would have varvested him this year hes gotta be 7-8 yrs old now. hes not gonna survive to many more winters at that age. It would be nice to know someone picked up the sheds i would hate to think the squirrels are turning them into tooth picks as we speak. could you imagine finding the biggest typical sheds in the world and there all chewed to hell, that would really suck....

18. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    I want him to keep breeding the does so there are more of his type in the gene pool. I am working on permission in the area and his genetics need to stay!

19. Dickie Tunes

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with the permission, from what i hear everyone and there cousin has been knockin doors in the area to try and gain access for an opportunity to get a crack at that hog. I got a phone call yesterday from a friend telling me that one side had been found it had been confirmed and it was a E.P.D. Officer who found it. I couldnt get any more info out of him but regardless i would just like to see the darn thing. For some reason he wants to keep it quiet about the sheds as if we dont know the deer. Anytime a shed of that caliber surfaces were gonna know for sure where it came from all in good time i guess.

20. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    I know someone that has permission within a mile to two and I let him hunt my stands at the Raceway last year and helped him bring out a deer since he couldn't load it. He said he will let me hunt it with him this year and it is next to where the farmer saw the monster. Time will tell, but if all works out I will be hanging stands on a sweet piece of property.