that big thicket buck..........

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bo., Oct 28, 2015.

1. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what kind of strategy do yall guys use/suggest for hunting bucks that are deep (few hundred yards) in 5 year old cut down (no reseed so its just briars and dog fennels and small tress) thickets??

I believe the big ones I been seein only come out of the thicket at night and do little traveling during the day

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get as close as you can and wait for the rut. That's about all you can do.
    Find the does.

3. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    me and daddy were walkin thru the other day exploring and we jumped one up.......whatever it was went in the direction of a powerline that runs thru our property. bout 200 yards or so past the powerline is where the path that connects the highway to our homes is. when we walked out to the path...we were surprised to find that the deer had crossed...and was still running....and it happened to be one we call "track maker" cause of his huge tracks we have been seeing crossin said path

would you be inclined to say we found where he beds? or could he possibly be randomly stopped to bed?? or have we just ruined that spot for good?

I don't believe he knows what we were.....I believe he just knew it was something and it was getting too close...he never blew just ran

4. JasonL

JasonL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a very similar place to what you described. This farm was logged before we owned it. So I have setup on the edges of that cut. I have a couple tripods setup on the edges where I have no trees. I have a couple makeshift natural ground blinds too. I've got few to no trees big enough to put a stand and probably few in the right places. So I make due. It has taken a few years but I think I have a pretty good setup this year. They sneak back into that stuff from their food source. So find that and sit in between and you should be good. The rut should be good around there.

And no you haven't ruined it...as long as you don't keep going back. Of course that's just my opinion

5. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got ya! I appreciate it. I am gonna try to setup between where we jumped him and the closes field....its a cotton field.....but maybe he feeds on the seeds.

its crazy thou...we jumped him bout 30 yards off of a powerline that is bout 30 yards behind my brothers house...lol....so the buck is bedding well within 150 yards of my brothers house lol

6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stay outa' there - let it be his sanctuary.
    Hunt like JasonL said... between there and a food source - just don't go in there.

7. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm actually having a similar issues with some of the mature buck in my area. I have a darn good idea where they bed and they don't seem to leave the thicket until night time.. Yet anyways.. One of the biggest challenges is that their bedding and feeding areas are very closely connected on both sides of the thicket, I'm always pushing deer on my way to the stand in the morning (mainly because they are right next to my stand) and all 3 of my entrance routes have had the same outcome, hearing deer crashing through the woods as I approach my stand and I fear it's some of the good buck I have on the property I hunt, so I limit how often I hunt that area now in hopes I catch them cruising during the rut. The doe don't normally move through that area until about 8:30-9:00 in the morning. It's a very tricky situation that I hope eventually pans out for me.

I agree with the others.. stay away from their bedding area and try catch then coming out or going back in from their feeding areas, go where the doe are at and the buck should cruise through there once the rut kicks in.. Maybe even some buck that have moved in that are even nicer than the one you have seen.. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  8. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys! I have some pictures of some really nice bucks...and ive found a few scrapes and a rub like adjacent to where we kicked him up at. I have a good setup on the rub line so maybe I can catch him there....and it be his rub line