Texas and protein

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by kjstaudt86, Jan 15, 2017.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What's up guys! I hunt in South East Texas in Newton Co. Hope everyone had a good season... this was probably the toughest year for us on the lease this year. With acorns dropping all winter and warm Temps along with timber company clearing half the property it just made for one rough season to forget about. I'm going to start an off-season protein regiment this year and was seeing what all you guys like to use? I think I'm going to go with the M-G DEER pellets at 16% protein (apple flavor)at $9.99 p/50lb. Would love to hear what you guys feed and what works best for yall.

Looking forward to exchanging stories with you guys this next season.

2. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in Angelina county and I have very poor deer results at the feeders. Usually just get lots of hogs with an occasional deer visit. The old man used protein feed once and it drew them in but it caused alot of problems gumming the feeders with all the humidity. I hope you get some positive results maybe I'll through some in my feeders.

3. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    so far, im not real sure on the results. I screwed up before hand by not mixing any corn with it. I had a huge 250+ lb pig destroying my feeder and very little deer movement at it. Since then, I have moved locations, mixed it with corn and put up a fence. I will be going next week to check on things. I am curious to see if the deer have started jumping the fence so I am anxious to get up there. I will keep you posted.

Josh/OH likes this.
  4. joshcalhoun18

joshcalhoun18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any spots open on the lease? But I hunt in ellis county and I use purina antler max and i have had great results with it so far

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    No spots available on our lease man. But Anthony, I have finally figured the protein out. Put a fence up and have had no hog problems. I'm gradually going to up my % of protein content each time now.

My first month with a fence around feeder went good. 150 lbs of corn/ protein mix was destroyed.

6. Anthony2991

Dislikes Received:
  7. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir... it was some stuff left over at work that we werent using anymore... just had to buy t-post. I think I made the pen 28'-30' in diameter. I was nervous about it because prior to that, I had a 250+ lb pig jumping on my feeder and living close by... since then I moved it to another location in the creek bottom. I didnt have enough t post to go around evenly for the diameter I went with, but so far a month + in now and the fence is still holding up and going strong with no signs of hogs trying to get in. Everyone was right... throw some corn on the ground inside the pen and the corn will prevail! It was only one day after setting all that up, I had a pic of a doe inside the pen feeding. Our deer arent used to jumping stuff like that for food, but it seems to be no problem. They are coming in and out like crazy 2-3 at a time that I can see right now based off pics.

8. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Went with a corn, record rack golden nugget mix at a 60/40 ratio. The golden nuggets are only 13% protein content but I just needed something to get them to get comfortable with coming in. my latest mix I will see how it goes... I mixed corn, golden nuggets, and record rack 20% pellet (40/40/20 mix) .... If it goes well I will go straight nuggets and pellets mixture, gradually getting them more protein.

9. Anthony2991

Dislikes Received:
    I am definitely going to have to fence in a feeder for protein station that sounds like a pretty solid plan

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. TexANunez23

TexANunez23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use antlerMax 20..i hunt Gillespie co...ive been using it over the last 3 or 4 years now...have had great results but I to have had my bouts with the hogs. I freechoice feed year round straight protein January through Sept. Then broadcast corn Sept through season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

11. TexANunez23

TexANunez23 Newb

Dislikes Received:

Attached Files: