Temperature and your bow..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Gremlinsrus, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Gremlinsrus

Gremlinsrus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have you ever notice how your bow shoots differently in various temperature ranges? I feel as though in warmer temperature there is lower tension on my string than in an air conditioned room.. How to you compensate for these changes through out the season?

2. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you just have to practice in those conditions. The only thing I compensate for is when it's raining. Your bow strings can hold a lot of water which case it to be heavy, and because of the added weight it's moving slower resulting in lower shot than normal. So my best advice practice in those conditions. If it's cold out leave your bow outside for awhile then shoot a few arrows. Same for really hot humid days. So on and so forth. Good luck.:bow:

3. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i wanna say practice in both since its not winter yet set up your target in your living room with the ac on full blast.... lol

4. northern rednek

northern rednek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot mine in some extreme temps on both ends of the scale and haven't noticed a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Fre

5. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I havent noticed a difference as of yet either

6. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have noticed a change in my bow with the temp changes, but even more so in my muscles. So many times as the season progresses we head into the woods, maybe get a little heated walking in and then sit there. As much as we don't want to make a lot of movement, it is important to remember to changes positions now and again and stretch a little. One thing I have done in the past is to take disposable toe warmers with the adhesive and stick those to one of my long sleeve under layer shirts on my arm. Helps keep my muscles a little warmer so I can make sure I WILL make the best shot if the opportunity presents itself!

7. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can someone put this troll back under the bridge? ^^^^^ :bash:

8. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO the bow shoot the same at 5 or 80 degrees. "...in an air conditioned room..." has fluorescent lighting. That is my guess on why you shoot different.

9. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt in central Florida year round and in Massachusetts in November in the November so experience roughly 20-90 degrees and believe the bow does shoot a little different at the extremes. can't recall a real pattern to it but will pay closer attention when I travel north this year.