Tell me about Montana whitetail hunting

Discussion in 'West' started by Jeremy/PA, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I kicking around the idea of a move to Montana. Tentatively talking about the Bozeman-ish area.

I know there is a lot of talk about Montana being a good state for whitetails, but what type of hunting does it cater to? Is it more spot and stalk/gun hunting or bow and treestand? I favor the latter and one thing that I am fearful of leaving behind in PA is the hardwoods hunting.

Any insight is appreciated. Feel free to throw any info in about turkeys as well! Thanks!

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Montana has a lot to offer in regards to whitetails. There are pretty good deer numbers and quality throughout the state. Most of the whitetails are in the creeks and river systems that will allow you to do the tree stand thing. The season dates are fairly liberal as well.

trial153 likes this.
  3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^ what he said.

It’s a great overlooked state for whitetails. And their distribution range will really surprise you. While it doesn’t have the high end trophy potential that some of it southeasterly neighbors has it makes up for it in good numbers of solid bucks and ample public lands and tag options.