Teen Hunter Tags Escaped Monster Buck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by henson59, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the outfitter that lost the deer would be a complete moron for attracting attention to it with a lawsuit. These operation typically like to run under the radar and for good reason. It would be very bad PR at the least.

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been to some of these farms and know some owners. I am friends with a gentleman that has used semen in his operation from some of the highest scoring bucks in the world. Hundreds of thousands of dollars for just the semen. I have discussed the breeding operations at length with him and understand full well the part that genetics play. There is only one way to get 2 year old bucks to score over 200 inches. And, three and four year olds to score over 500 inches.

You could offer up a million dollars to anyone that could take a buck fawn from the wild and raise a 400 inch deer and never worry about paying up. The odds of picking the one freak fawn in the wild that has that potential are astronomical. Without engineering genetics and AI, it would be like hitting the lottery. I own managed ground in one of the best whitetail areas of the world. I have had multiple bucks over the years that have had everything they possibly need to do well including grow to a very old age. None of them have ever come close to what a genetically engineered deer can be, and they never will. There is a huge difference between 200 inch deer and freak bucks that score 300, 400 and yes, even more than 500 inches.

Again, saying that genetics are overrated, is just plain wrong. Only a very few deer possess the genetic potential to become a true freak.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We aren't talking about exactly the same things but that's okay. I'm willing to go so far as to say we are both partially right so that we don't derail the thread any further. No one really understands all the why and wherefores of whitetail deer genetics and what precisely controls the antler growth vs potential. Most of us have enough knowledge of genetics this day and age to make good arguments. There's a lot to be misunderstood or misconstrued about deer genetics. My boss and I have talked to some of the top biologists and breeders in the world while researching this very topic. This would be a good topic for discussion in it's own thread.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a high fence doe get loose and end up on my place a couple years ago. (some of you may remember me sharing the pics) I notified KDWP and was givin a kill on sight order from them. Deer farms that allow deer to escape get very large fines around here and can get shut down FWIW

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt genetics are a huge part. The dairy farms I pick up milk at buy semen from a business called Select Sires to use to breed their dairy cows. Genetics are huge. The better the bull the more they pay for the semen.

6. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Steve tell em I have some for sale... great bull. :)

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I always look forward to going by ABS on 94 west of Milwaukee they always have a funny slogan on a sign out front. Example Our cows stand for no bull

8. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    I think its cool that a teenager had the opportunity to shoot a deer that would cost 1 years college tuition. That's a once in a lifetime deer. For it escaping the deer farm well that's life.

Just my 2cents worth.

Beefie

9. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Curious.........
    I can see both sides of this.

10. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess congrats to the kid. I don't see it as much of an accomplishment, but to each their own. Sounds like the high fence operation needs to work on their containment. As for him getting in trouble, I doubt anything would ever happen. The way I see it he did the state a favor by helping keep one of their best resources healthy.

11. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man good for him I would have been out there everyday hunting him.... I think that outfitters a rip... first off I wouldnt want to pay 20k for a whitetail especially if there fensed in kinda unfair and not a true trophy hunt... and I also believe grow deer to this caliper should be outlawed... wheres the sport of the hunt.