Technology and Hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AZChokester, Aug 22, 2011.

1. AZChokester

AZChokester Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How is new and modern technology affecting hunting? I just did a 5 day mule deer hunt in Northern Az. There were guys out hunting on quads and I don't think they walked further than the closest tree to pee on. They would ride around a water hole and cruise right through prime spots. Camera's were posted on stakes right on the edge of water holes.
    Not sure if it was just that I was getting skunked or if this was a legit reason to be pissed.

I am all about using technology, put up cameras in spots where they get a view and are still not disturbing the animals, ride your ATV to a spot where you walk into your hunt, don't just ride around and hope to bust out a deer and run him down.

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is a very controversial subject here. Some say that its gone too far but, what I really think it boils down to is how you use it to your advantage. ATV's yes I use them to do things such as transport myself and stands out to be hung and take it out to check my cameras. I do not pull right up to them and and pull cards though. It stays on the trail and I walk in. I am new to hunting but, I also understand certain things about it and I do see some of the new guys out and about that seem to be careless and don't realize there is an art and skill that has to be developed. I think a lot of them feel they can just go out and kill deer how ever they want to and be good at it. I personally don't think these guys end up lasting very long. I could be wrong though. Thats just my observations.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Technology isn't the problem. Slob hunters are.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I couldnt agree more.

5. AZChokester

AZChokester Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

perfect quote!

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    fitz, that has to be one of the best one liners I've read!

To elaborate more on the subject. One might argue that everything we see in a hunting store is technology. Look at something as simple as a camo pattern. I read an article once about optifade camo, I believe, that they did tests on live deer to determine exactly how they see. There was a lot of research involving a lot of highly technical equipment, things that weren't available way back when, to get to the root of the question and design a camo to exploit the vision of a deer.

Yeah, I think that there is an invisable line in the sand what is ethical and what is not. Take internet hunting for example. Its where there are remote controlled weapons with cameras on them and you basically pay to log in, shoot a deer and have it sent to you. Seems extreme to me. Not sure if that is still going on or not.

But in terms of general hunting equipment. Guns, bows, treestands, calls, etc.. Its all far more technologically advanced than what our grandfathers used. So unless you're out there with an old recurve in plaid wool hunting clothing, you're using the technology that has come along.

7. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I HATE 4 wheelers anywhere hunting. Last year In Colorado with the gang I ran Into 4 wheelers everywhere. Didn't matter If I was at 12000 feet or down below, there was 4 wheelers. Good chance I'll never go back to this spot because of all the 4 wheeler activity.

Bear hunting In northern Minnesota has turned Into a 4 wheeler fest up there too. When It gets 15 minutes before dark which Is prime time bear movement It's all you here In the woods around you. I call these hunters lazy, every damn one of them. God gave you 2 legs and 2 feet, use the damn things!

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its the simple things in life that makes me happy , if old school is simple or technoligy is simple ......so be it , i'm a bit of both , i remember where i started and where i am now , with that combo it makes me deadly in my own eyes

9. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah , thats part of it too