Team Driven2Hunt - Team 32

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by patinthehat, Aug 18, 2014.

1. thomas1213

thomas1213 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well boy my season started sat and my first couison died friday night after a 5 month bout with cancer. So sat I mowed and cleaned up the family cemetery and sunday dug the geave and had the showing. Today we burried him, rip rick I can see u dancing down those streets of gold. Its game on now team.

2. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No luck last night. Four fawns and two does. The does winded me though.

So sorry to hear that.

3. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out today around 3pm. Going to check two cameras and then determine where to sit for the evening.

4. comescrashing

comescrashing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thomas sorry about that, but at least he doesn't have to fight anymore. Hope you kill a good one for him
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

5. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about that Thomas. I'm sure he would want you to put a big ol bruiser down in his memory!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss! Good Hunting this year!

7. aRroW_adDicted

aRroW_adDicted Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear Thomas. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

8. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss.

9. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like my season will be starting a week and a half late. Took the wife in for a check up today and she got the staples out of her knee. Will be in the full leg brace and shoulder brace/sling until the first full week of October. I will still need to be home with her for 3 and a half more weeks before I can go back to work and get in some hunting time. Will try to get someone to sit with her for a few hours so I can get out and check cameras in the next week or so. Good luck to those already getting started. I'll be out there soon.

10. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    October 1st can't come soon enough! Impatiently waiting. Good luck to all! Lets get on the board.

Thomas, sorry for your loss.

11. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Greetings fellas. I just returned from my trip to Wyoming and while it was a ton of fun, I got skunked. The first couple of days were spent antelope hunting and I had a string of bad luck. The first morning I did a spot and stalk on a really nice buck and I got in almost perfect position. He walked into the draw I had worked my way into and at the moment of truth...my range finder quit working. That's normally not a huge deal sitting in a tree but in wide open spaces I don't judge distance well after 35 to 40 yards. I mashed the button on the finder at least fifty times before giving up and deciding to estimate the distance. I figured the goat was about 60 to 62 yards and held my 60 pin behind the shoulder and let it fly...short. I stepped it off from my shot location to the arrow and it was 75 paces. Had I known that, I would never have taken the shot. The rest of the day I did spot and stalk hunts but never got to a comfortable distance so I passed a few shots. At the end of the day I spotted a nice goat bedded just over the crest of a hill and the wind was right for a stalk. I made my way around the hill and once I was above him, glassed the top of his horns one last time to confirm his exact location. I had to drop into a shallow draw before working up the back side of the hill he was bedded on and should have had a 20 to 25 yard shot. I worked quickly but quietly only to find he had decided to get up from his nap and move down the hill to start feeding. Once I realized he was no longer bedded, I peeked over the hill and saw him feeding 80 to 100 yards below me on an open flat that allowed no chance for a stalk. I went to town and bought a new range finder. I continued to stalk antelope and finally got a broadside shot at exactly 60 yards which is right in my comfort zone. I let the arrow go and shot 8 inches under the antelope. I was incredulous! I worked hard for that shot and then missed by a pretty big margin. I got back to the truck and took two shots at my target only to find out my 60 pin had moved and was about 10 inches low. The other pins were fine so I guess with all the stalking, laying my bow in the brush, etc. it got bumped. It was a bummer but still a lot of fun. I didn't really have a desire to sit at a water hole which would have likely presented my a few shot opportunities. I hope to have plenty of time to do that when I run out of patience with stalking goats.

My deer hunt was just as uneventful. I saw tons of mule deer and even bought two doe tags to shoot whitetails on private land. Both of my buddies shot a doe each and they each missed one. I had several does come by but not in range. I was hunting in a blind on an alfalfa field and they were both in tree stands. We hunted two evenings there and most of the deer came in late due to the full moon. I got some nice pics but was a little bummed that I never got a chance to fill a doe tag.

I glassed some huge mule deer but could never close the deal. On of my buddies shot a small buck and the other two shot pretty nice deer. I have added their pics here. I passed a number of immature bucks. On the last day with only 15 minutes left in my hunt, I decided to try to take a 2 year old mule deer that was 35 yards below me at an extremely sharp angle. I held the 30 yard pin at the lower part of his rib cage and watched the arrow bounce off his back. I have shot deer at 30 to 35 yards from a tree stand but never 35 yards below me. That arrow was going high from the beginning and I was certain I held the pin low enough.

I had a close encounter with a young bull moose and had a couple hundred head of elk pass by 60 yards from me while in a tree stand waiting on a mule deer. It was a ton of fun but it passed too quickly. Now, I'll be hunting whitetails come Oct 1.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome time! I'm headed out to Colorado in 3 hrs to chase some bulls.

13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get'em! :D

14. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    very nice! sucks that you didnt connect but imo that is only the icing to the cake. This time next week i will be on the road to Colorado to chase em down!!

15. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    Have you heard anything about them bugling or rutting yet Pat?

16. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    As of like a week ago they weren't really bugling yet. Seems like someone said a couple days ago they were starting up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

17. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    Nice...I've never been while they were rutting....always 2nd rifle

18. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    yeah I am so excited it is crazy. and i have my muley tag too so I'm hoping to tag oen of those as well. this next week is going to freakin dragggggg by.

19. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I left Wyoming they were talking like crazy but were still in big bunches. I was surprised they hadn't split up yet. When the big group went around me it was pretty amazing to listen to. I recorded it on my iphone but after loading it on my computer you can barely hear it. I am hoping to find someone who can help be get the volume louder so I can put it on here. Bulls were screaming and cows were talking like church women at Sunday brunch. It was awesome to hear. I left on Wednesday morning and that night they got a foot of snow so my guess is that business will pick up this week. Good luck.

20. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out tomorrow! Opening Day here in NC! :tu: